• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

weight loss myths

I clicked on this link in my AARP bulletin and found it basic but good. It's kind of a pep talk for people who aren't sure about every little thing. I found the carb comparison especially interesting.

Apparently it's multi-part. I haven't clicked on the "next" link yet...

Last edited:
Those were good. The latest evidence (like the PREDICT 1 study) is heavily trending toward personalized nutrition that is customized for your microbiome and what your body metabolizes the best. The DIETFITS study out of Stanford illustrated that people on a low carb diet vs low fat diet didn't see significant differences in the amount of weight loss. It also showed that some people on the same diet lost no weight, and some people on the same diet gained weight.

While a calorie is a unit of energy that is constant, but how our body deals with calories of various foods depends on how are microbiome and GI system deal with it. The effective calories of a particular food can be much less than the actual calories. Also, the effective calories can be different based on the combination of foods you eat. Your body may deal with calories of a sandwich differently than if you ate the components of sandwich separately, which seems bizarre, but validated by science. We have to take every calorie label with a grain of salt. They can be wildly inaccurate. There is so much great science going on right now. It's really exciting.

Back