• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight Loss Stopped So Soon

kambruce

Hi All,

I had a VSG on 1/14. That week I dropped 12 pounds. The second week I lost no weight and last week I lost no weight. I added pureed food so I eat about 600 calories a day and get my water and protein in. I walk 30 min and bike 30 min daily. Don't know why I stopped losing so soon but I try to keep positive and hope I start losing again. This can be frustrating

Hi All,

I had a VSG on 1/14. That week I dropped 12 pounds. The second week I lost no weight and last week I lost no weight. I added pureed food so I eat about 600 calories a day and get my water and protein in. I walk 30 min and bike 30 min daily. Don't know why I stopped losing so soon but I try to keep positive and hope I start losing again. This can be frustrating

You may just have some fluid retention. Your body may just be adjusting itself from surgery. Don't worry yet, it's very early. There is swelling and such after surgery. Just hang in there and don't get discouraged. :) I came home from the hospital 20 lb heavier than the day of my surgery because they pumped me full of fluids. Three weeks later I had lost the 20 lb. that I had gained with surgery plus lost another 20 lb. Everyone is different. You will lose. Good Luck!!!

Cheyenne

You might be eating too little. Try upping your caloric intake to 800-900. Your body can go into starvation mode at super low calories and it tries to hang on to the fat! It's a protective thing.

I had thrush straight out of the hospital so I was deathly sick which resulted in rapid weight loss, however I will say that I did hit a plateau about 4 months in and it last for about 4 months before I started losing again. Prior to reaching the plateau I did have several times where I would slow almost to nothing, it was a very slow slow weight loss. What I realized was that I was taking in so much protein that it was actually causing me to not lose weight. There were even several times that I gained weight. I refer it to the bobble head effect. I would bobble back and forth within 4-8 pounds one way or another then one morning I would wake up and be down 12 pounds then I would bobble for another couple of weeks or a month back and forth between 4-8 pounds and wake up and drop 10 pounds. I would say play around with your protein, alternate the types of exercise you are doing. You are still early on so your body could be adjusting. And I agree, fluid could be a factor. I was actually on fluid pills prior to surgery. About 4 months in I stopped taking them thinking I didnt need them any longer. within 8-10 days I gained 12 pounds. I was scared I had broken whatever the doctor had done but soon noticed as I gained another 2 pounds by the next morning that I had fluid retention. Needless to say when my doctor asked if I still needed the fluid pills I cut him off and loudly proclaimed YES and here is why... Good luck to you, keep your head up. Everyone's body responds differently, I am sure yours is just adjusting.

A couple of comments:

Over the long haul we will all lose weight; assuming we follow our program. Make sure you get the required protein. Make sure you get about 800-1200 calories in. I agree with the comment about starvation mode. You must stay above 800 calories to prevent that.

I am 3 months 1 week past my surgery and my weight loss came is spurts the first couple of months. I would drop weight quickly then plateau for a few days up to a week.

The weight lose is now slowing down. Part of it is because I can consume more. Now, is the time for me to be more vigilant with respect to the protein/carb intake. I want to continue to get the 80-90 grams of protein in and keep my carbs around 60 but for sure below 100 all while staying below 1200 calories each day. I am doing it.

I went on vacation this past week. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I found that I had quite a few more carbs than usual and a couple of times went over 1200; one day in particular I reached 1760 calories. Do you realize what 1760 calories is? The average male around 190 or so is supposed to consume roughly 2000 calories to maintain weight. Here we are staying at 1200 or less (for life) and occasionally going over as compared to 2000 calories a day.

So, again, as long as you are following your program and getting the required protein and keeping the carbs around 60 or even 60 to 100 while staying below 1200 calories a day; you will do fine. I am changing my mindset on weight loss now as well.

I am at a weight I haven't seen since the early 1990's. I am walking and dancing and being active; something that is coming a lot easier now without getting winded or a rapid heart rate. What joy!

I am looking at weight more at a monthly level now. Yes, I get on the scale each morning. Some of us get on the scale each week. I lost 8 pounds last month. The weight loss is slowing down now for me as well, but I know it will continue. Just think about it. If I only lose 5 pounds a month now going forward, I will be under 200 within the next 6 months. Now, when was the last time I saw a weight under 200???? HA !!! That would be somewhere in the early 1980s.

You see we are breaking down barriers now that we have never thought possible.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Ralph

Hi All,

How are you doing on keeping your protein consumption within your Surgeons recommendations?

Back