• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight Loss to Fast?

It's a lot, but if you're eating normally, it's not too much. Just make sure you're in touch with your surgeon's office, that you're taking a full complement of nutritional supplements and you're not deliberately starving yourself in hopes of losing weight fast.

I followed orders and lost 35 pounds my first month. And that's a lot, too.

You should be in regular contact with your doc and nutritionist. Just write everything down that you eat, make sure you hit your protein goals and your digestive process is working.

If you're vomiting and/or have diarrhea, that's cause for concern. But the first week or two can be weird. Your surgeon should have scheduled follow-up and you should be in touch regularly.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Welcome Tom! A couple of things that aren't readily apparent in the first couple of days. First, they pumped you full of fluids while in the hospital and you've been losing that as you recover. Also, likely you're on a liquid diet that is low carb and [insert sciency stuff] the body metabolizes food that isn't carbs in a different way. (Google if you're a sciency kind of guy). One last thing, is they have/had you on meds that will affect water. Search this site for more on this topic. Trust me, the weight-loss pace will slow when the "easy" water weight is gone and you start losing fat.

No reason to be alarmed or concerned...as Lisa said it's mostly water. As you rehydrate you may gain some of it back, or maybe not. Generally after surgery we slip in to ketosis for a while which increases urine volume (not necessarily frequency) and in general even if we are keeping up on hydration requirements, we are still a bit dehydrated for the first couple weeks or so. This is why some people have a little three week-ish stall because they start rehydrating which counteracts some of the weight loss, but not everyone experiences the stall.

Anyway, no reason to be concerned, just keep following the recommended post surgery guidelines and try to stay as hydrated as possible.

Back