• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Weight loss & Vitamins

kandypop

I had surgery on July 9th, 2020. How often should I weigh myself? I've been the same weight since last week & it terrifies me. I'm not sure if this is normal or if it could be due to my Vitamins. I take one Fusion Iron chewy bite 2.4 carbs, 2 Calcium Citrate chewables, & 2 multivitamin chewy a day. The multivitamin chewy has about 8 carbs. Could this halt my weight loss? I've lost 6 lbs since surgery & 15 pre op. I'm not sure how often I should weigh. I hit about 400 calories a day. Sometimes I can get up to 450 calories.

You will have a lot of stalls along the way as your body takes a moment to adjust to the big changes that it is going through. Weighing is a personal thing - there are a lot of people that say only weigh once a week, some weigh daily. I personally weigh daily out of habit, and I feel that it helps to keep me on track. I used to let the number affect me much more than I do now, so I probably should have been doing only weekly at certain points of my journey.

As you start to be able to eat regular foods, you will be able to get more calories in, which will help your body get out of that "starvation mode".

You will have a lot of stalls along the way as your body takes a moment to adjust to the big changes that it is going through. Weighing is a personal thing - there are a lot of people that say only weigh once a week, some weigh daily. I personally weigh daily out of habit, and I feel that it helps to keep me on track. I used to let the number affect me much more than I do now, so I probably should have been doing only weekly at certain points of my journey.

As you start to be able to eat regular foods, you will be able to get more calories in, which will help your body get out of that "starvation mode".

Thank you. That makes total sense. I will try to remember that!

My weighing is sort of random, but I try not to do it too often because I've seen wild changes from one day to the next, so I just focus on doing things right and not how the scale is responding at the moment.

There are lots of positive things going on besides the change on the scale. Moving gets easier, clothes start fitting better, there is more energy, blood pressure and other health issues may go away, etc. Your weight isn't the sole indicator of success. it's the main measurement we all use, but there is so much more to it than that. There will be plateaus, and you just have to keep doing the same things and continue to make good choices and things will continue to get better and better. Don't give up or get frustrated, you are on a lifelong journey that is going to add years to your wonderful life!

almost everyone has their first stall within the first 4-6 weeks after surgery. It's usually the third week, so we call it "the three week stall" - but some people get them earlier or later than that. It'll last 1-2 weeks and then you'll be on your way again. Just stick to your plan, stay off the scale if you have to, and know that it WILL break...

Thank you!! I'm 3weeks out from bypass and seem to have stopped losing this past week. I was starting to panic and didn't know you can stall this early after surgery. Gave me a big sigh of relief

Hi Cherie, no two weight loss journeys are the same, although they may be similar. You shouldn't worry, that's the main thing. But don't expect anything to happen on your clock. Just make sure that you're doing exactly what you're supposed to be doing.

You're probably not experiencing what would be considered a real stall. Your body just needs to go at its own pace. There is rebuilding at the same time as there is losing. Otherwise you would be starving and your metabolism would be taking energy from everywhere including your muscles, causing wasting, who which you don't want.

Increasing the amount of water you've been drinking, along with the amount of movement you've been expending may help to kick your weight loss into gear again. And it is very possible that you will suddenly experience a large weight loss of a few pounds in a day when you least expect it.

Your time frame and your body's timeframe are not the same. Do not get discouraged or give up. Just make sure you stick to your plan. Your body knows better than you do how to respond to the amount of food that you're eating or not eating.

And of course you should look very honestly at what you're eating, just to make sure that you're doing the right thing. At three weeks you should still have a very limited diet. You should probably be at the soft food phase of your eating plan. And you shouldn't have a ravenous appetite. Stick to your plan.

So get up and walk around the house a few times. Just do something small to kick your metabolism into gear and your weight loss will follow. I believe we can create negative results just by our negative thinking. Keep your spirits up and think positively. Keep a journal. Make sure you write down everything you eat. Just occupy yourself in activities that are designed to enhance your weight loss experience. You're doing it and you're going to do it!

Back