• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

weight regain frustrations

Soly

Hi there, I'm 16 yrs post op, and i managed to keep most of the 160 lbs lost for 14 yrs, but now im approaching peri-menopause and i feel like everyday i gain weight. i don't feel like im overeating, as i still get full rather fast, and im rarely hungry...anyone else going through this, that could offer any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated , as this is getting rather frustrating... nothing fits, etc...

I thought someone else might jump in & say it had happened to them, too, but since no one has piped up, I'll give you my 12-years post-op opinion.
  • weigh & measure everything.
  • write down everything you eat
  • compare the calories in foods you eat with proteins you get from them. you should be getting 1 gram of protein for every 10 calories you eat
  • read the labels
  • say affirmations to your brain
I think you're going to find out, as I did, that you are consuming too many calories. Return to your post-surgery diet, including the liquid phase if you want to cleanse, & your stomach will feel full at the proper rate. I don't know your age, but I do understand menopause & now, at almost 68yo, it's infuriatingly difficult to drop a pound, but every day I lose muscle mass & my body looks its age.

I think your cure will be refreshing your commitment to protein & getting a lot of regular exercise.

Hi I am Ramona I live in Mississippi and I had the RNY in 2001 I was 356 and in one year I lost 226lbs. I have been struggling lately with weight gain. I crave starches and sweets and I know it is my mind. When I had the surgery there was no option about dietician or psychiatry. I need help with this also. I am at 140 and going up.

Hi I am Ramona I live in Mississippi and I had the RNY in 2001
Wow, Ramona, good job. Welcome to the group. You have managed to maintain some kind of weight loss for 18 years. What is it now that makes you think you're going to fail? I think your success has proven that you've changed your life. Maybe your Cravings are manageable. Are you seeing a therapist? Are you following a specific diet? obviously you Have some issues you would like some support for. I hope you get it here. What I I would offer you is a suggestion to start writing down everything you plan to eat and everything you do each and the amounts. I would weigh and measure everything. Once you have a realistic picture of your diet, maybe you will be able to add some things, and subtract some things. The post bariatric life it's not supposed to be one of denial, but of renewed vigor and joy. And eating delicious food is not against the rules. You will do better to discuss this with a therapist and I hope some other people here will pop up with book titles that they've read that have been helpful to them.

You are going to be fine. Look at what you have done already. You are a fine example to everyone here who wants to reclaim his or her life. You're amazing.

Thank you so much I will take your suggestions about writing everything I eat down. It has a lot to do with being accountable. The therapist deal is a tuff situation with no insurance. Weighing food is a good strategy also. I don't feel like I am failing I just see some pounds come back on and really not comfortable with it. Thanks So Much to you

Back