• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Welcome, newbies

And by newbies, I mean anyone who joined or made their first post after September 5th, while I was gone. But I noticed just now there are a whole bunch of people who joined long before me & who are still reading posts, who have never posted. You must have a lot to say.

Please introduce yourself and if it helps, include your statistics: Weight (then, now & goal), heights, how long waiting, what dietary stage you're in, expected surgery date, actual date & post-op experience, symptoms and problems, photos, old or new, what you've learned, how you can help and how you've been helped, here and other resources.

Read the guidelines under Administration on the home page and then introduce yourself to the group, or to me, since I have missed some of your postings.

I'd like to get to know you.

I’m planning on having the bypass in March or April. I was 279.5 in October when I went to see a Bariatric surgeon. My BMI was high, and I Have type 2 diabetes. My dr suggested I lose 10 lbs, see a dietician, psychologist and go for a sleep study. My first dietician appt in Nov, I was down 10 bs. The month of December I lost 3 lbs ( over thanksgiving ) and my final appt is in 2 days and let’s face it with Christmas parties, I did try my best to not eat a lot of sweets. I got an exercise bike for Christmas and I rode 8 miles in 2 days. I have researched, read testimonials and I want to start a new life at 56. I’m retired from the Usps, and want to get my diabetes under control and get back to gardening and being able to get on your knees to plant and get back up without a struggle. I’ve been heavy all my life. My highest weight was 303, and I dropped to 252 after my back surgery (spinal stenosis) and have had a knee replacement at 51. I feel that I get around, walk, go up and down stairs, I’m just sick of being fat. I have support, but at a Christmas party while talking to a RN, she advised me to just keep losing weight and the surgery down the line will lead to problems. I told her I needed a drastic thing to be done, because if I know I can’t eat much I will be good. I made a Drastic change 10 years ago when I stopped drinking, and have never relapsed.

I have support, but at a Christmas party while talking to a RN, she advised me to just keep losing weight and the surgery down the line will lead to problems.
When you mention it, you'll be surprised how many people voice their negative opinions on WLS. Stick to your gut, you know what's best for you. There are many of us who have kept news of our surgeries to only a few trusted people because of this. Seems everyone and their brother has an opinion that they feel they must voice on this subject.

I made a Drastic change 10 years ago when I stopped drinking, and have never relapsed.
Congratulations!!! It's been 3 years 7 months & 9 days since my last drink. 10 years is a huge accomplishment lady!

Back