• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Well I am hoping my weight has leveled off and is on the way down again

dancinbr

Hi,

Last week my Doctor told me to stop my diuretics.

I was somewhat dehydrated.

So I stopped.

Guess what? I started to gain weight. OK. I was dehydrated and taking a diuretic. So the body had to find a new balance with appropriate hydration. I have since been drinking plenty of liquids (at least 8 glasses of water/juice) or more. So the weight chart kept going up until today. I essentially gained 6 pounds and went from 236 back up to 242. Today, it appears to have leveled off and perhaps my downward journey starts again.

We will see.

I am keeping to the program. I drink plenty of water/juices and get my required protein of 80 or more but not too much more (don't want kidney stones).

I am also staying between 1000 to 1200 calories per day.

I don't think I need to do anything else.

What is lacking is exercise. I need to get back to my walking. However, the weather has not cooperated. I am not ready to go and sign up for a gym again; not just yet.

As I explained earlier I pretty much burned out in the gym thing. Perhaps as time goes by I may get back to training in a gym. However, I am not going to over do it as I did in the past. I was a gym junky for awhile going 6 days a week and working out for an hour to an hour and a half.

Whew. Just got tired thinking of that!

So, we will watch the weight and hopefully as I get over this cold it will start to come back down again.

Ralph

Hi,

So I stopped.

Guess what? I started to gain weight. OK. I was dehydrated and taking a diuretic. So the body had to find a new balance with appropriate hydration. I have since been drinking plenty of liquids (at least 8 glasses of water/juice) or more. So the weight chart kept going up until today. I essentially gained 6 pounds and went from 236 back up to 242. Today, it appears to have leveled off and perhaps my downward journey starts again.

We will see.

I am keeping to the program. I drink plenty of water/juices and get my required protein of 80 or more but not too much more (don't want kidney stones).

What is lacking is exercise. I need to get back to my walking. However, the weather has not cooperated. I am not ready to go and sign up for a gym again; not just yet.

As I explained earlier I pretty much burned out in the gym thing. Perhaps as time goes by I may get back to training in a gym. However, I am not going to over do it as I did in the past. I was a gym junky for awhile going 6 days a week and working out for an hour to an hour and a half.

So, we will watch the weight and hopefully as I get over this cold it will start to come back down again.

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

My doctor told me to keep taking my diuretic but just not every day, he suggested every other day or every third day so I wouldn't get dehydrated. If you keep putting on water weight then you may want to talk to your doctor about taking a smaller dosage rather than quit it altogether. Just a suggestion. :)

Cheyenne :cool:

Hi Ralph,

My doctor told me to keep taking my diuretic but just not every day, he suggested every other day or every third day so I wouldn't get dehydrated. If you keep putting on water weight then you may want to talk to your doctor about taking a smaller dosage rather than quit it altogether. Just a suggestion. :)

Cheyenne :cool:

Good suggestion.

I have a 2nd follow up with my surgeon this coming 1/24/2014. However, I think I have turned the corner. My weight is starting down again. 239.8 this morning. I am also getting over this nasty cold. So the excess fluids are balancing out and I am staying hydrated now.

Thanks Cheyenne,

Ralph

Ralph, you know it's always 68 degrees and dry in the gym. When the weather is crappy, I go to the gym and walk on the indoor track.

Ralph, you know it's always 68 degrees and dry in the gym. When the weather is crappy, I go to the gym and walk on the indoor track.

As I have mentioned a few times in this forum, I burned out in the gym. I used to go 6 days a week for a one to two hour workout. It was too much.

I may go back, but I will limit the attendance to 3 to 4 times a week. Just not ready to do so yet.

Hi,

So I stopped.

We will see.

Ralph

May I ask why you were taking a diuretic? I take furmoside for my heart. My bariatric doc told me to stop, but I was stubborn. I called my heart doc and he told me the same as the others in this area are suggesting.

Please understand. You bariatric docs are concerned with your weight loss health. A lot of times, the docs don't see the whole pic and we need to be informed patients.

Last edited:
May I ask why you were taking a diuretic? I take furmoside for my heart. My bariatric doc told me to stop, but I was stubborn. I called my heart doc and he told me the same as the others in this area are suggesting.

Please understand. You bariatric docs are concerned with your weight loss health. A lot of times, the docs don't see the whole pic and we need to be informed patients.

I was taking foresimide also (Lasix). It was for my blood pressure more than my heart. I was taking three BP pills including the Lasix. What was happening was my recent blood work showed that I was dehydrated. So my primary said stop the diuretic. I am also taking bystolic for my heart to control the heartbeat rate. I was on 10mg of bystolic but now I am down to 5mg and my pulse is still only around 60 and drops into the high 50s. I may not even need this. I will be seeing my cardiologist soon about this.

I am virtually off of all my meds, blood pressure, diabetic meds and heart meds. What a wonderful happening.

Ralph

I must congratulate you on your great progress. I should have known better than to write that comment. We are such an informed group!

Keep up the good work!

No questions are always welcomed; ask away!

I must congratulate you on your great progress. I should have known better than to write that comment. We are such an informed group!

Keep up the good work!
]
There is no problem with asking questions.

Many times some of the simplest questions directed to someone can trigger other thoughts and ideas. Questions are always good.

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Ralph

Congratulations on your good health. How good does that feel when you can stop taking a medication. I had to stay off diuretics for a few months, but had to restart due to unrelated WLS condition. I don't think I gained at the time, but it was a while ago. Glad things are leveling out for you and that you are working toward your goal.

Back