• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

what i did for christmas

I put on a lovely floor-length gown and black suede pumps with big white camellias on the toes. My ex, who is my best friend, phoned me and I asked him to come over. He's a great writer and like me, worked as a journalist for most of his life, but he apologized because he hadn't gotten me a card. Usually, he goes all out and writes the funniest stories or the most lovely poetry, including the names of people & animals we've loved together. It's a wonderful thing.

He also usually sticks a $100 bill in the envelope. I told him earlier this year I didn't want him to do that anymore because I felt bad that I couldn't reciprocate in the manner he & his wife could. My ex was rich when I met him and got richer before I divorced him. He then moved in with his weird mom and took care of her for 12 years with very few relationships or even dates. I finally found myself in need of a home and wanted to give him a break, so I moved in & took care of his mom, who was 90, so he could follow promising personals ads.

He struck gold his first time out, fell in love and got married, but while he was dating, his mom died and my dad died. His future wife was nice to me, but kind of sneaky and passive-aggressive, bless her soul. She never told me I had to move out, but she started doing her laundry at the house and clearing out closets. Dave & I still did the things we had to do to keep things together and I had my surgery. She watched as I lost 115 pounds in the house where she was going to be living as soon as I moved out. She had a lot more faith in the strength of her relationship than I would have if an ex-wife was in the picture.

She usually has a Hanukkah brunch, but I begged off because I wanted my son to be able to attend and figured he wouldn't come if I were there. But she, too, was hurt by his mental breakdown, as was Dave, and she didn't have her usual brunch. But I made them these round sugar cookies and gave them to them with a card. These are the cookies:

I asked him to come over and told him I'd write me a card from him that he could give to me. That's the kind of jokey thing we do. He did & I busied myself elsewhere while he read the card & added to it. Then he gave it to me & I pretended to be all surprised & we cracked up. I opened the card and read what he had added, and an envelope of cash fell out. He gave me $300 for Christmas and boy, did I need it. I'm so glad he didn't listen to me.

He also brought me some nosh from his wife, who had had a brunch after all, but kept it small with her immediate family. It included latkes and oy, such a bagel with cream cheese and lox! But she cut the bagel in half, used only a tiny amount of cheese & lox and a lot of vegetables, because she knows how I eat. Later I noticed that she had actually drawn & colored a big gift label, which must have taken her an hour to do! She's a mensch!

My ex also brought me a treat:

these are the tiniest petit fours I've ever seen. they are too rich to eat even a whole one, but i ate half of the christmas tree.

Also on Christmas day, my estranged son phoned, two months to the day after he disappeared after having a psychotic break. I wasn't happy to hear from him because he was trying to make it seem like everything was normal, and was bragging about all the accomplishments he had made in the last two months and how proud he was of himself. We came near having a conversation about That Night, but he started sounding angry so we changed the subject. I wasn't playing his game. I just answered his questions, then suggested he call Dave, who thought he was mad at him. He said he'd talk to me soon, but I really am not prepared for that. He asked how I was and I said, "devastated." He ruined my life, on the eve of signing a lease on a house, before I broke my wrist & arm, went off and slept in his car, returned and violently threw everything in the dumpster he'd left behind and just generally left me confused and beyond depressed. I know intellectually he's mentally ill, but emotionally, I'm all wrapped up in love & hate & anger.

anyway, I'm going to pay my credit cards down and use Dave's money to live on, and I have started looking for a 1br house so i can move. I can't do any heavy lifting, but I have a wonderful moving guy I've used a few times and have recommended him to others. He will do everything and I'll be able to pay him cash, as soon as I find a place just for me.

And I have started working on a book about life after bariatric surgery. God knows I've already written enough posts about it to fill a multi-volume encyclopedia. When I get a bit further I may ask some of you for permission to quote you in this book, and will give you whatever credit or compensation you think is right. If you do not want to be included under any circumstance, send me a private message.

And don't feel self-conscious. I already have all the material I need, so I won't be using anything I get from present and future posts. I'm in the same boat with you and I need this group as much as you do, for loving emotional support, not for grist for the writing mill.

Maybe this book will save my life.

I put on a lovely floor-length gown and black suede pumps with big white camellias on the toes. My ex, who is my best friend, phoned me and I asked him to come over. He's a great writer and like me, worked as a journalist for most of his life, but he apologized because he hadn't gotten me a card. Usually, he goes all out and writes the funniest stories or the most lovely poetry, including the names of people & animals we've loved together. It's a wonderful thing.

He also usually sticks a $100 bill in the envelope. I told him earlier this year I didn't want him to do that anymore because I felt bad that I couldn't reciprocate in the manner he & his wife could. My ex was rich when I met him and got richer before I divorced him. He then moved in with his weird mom and took care of her for 12 years with very few relationships or even dates. I finally found myself in need of a home and wanted to give him a break, so I moved in & took care of his mom, who was 90, so he could follow promising personals ads.

He struck gold his first time out, fell in love and got married, but while he was dating, his mom died and my dad died. His future wife was nice to me, but kind of sneaky and passive-aggressive, bless her soul. She never told me I had to move out, but she started doing her laundry at the house and clearing out closets. Dave & I still did the things we had to do to keep things together and I had my surgery. She watched as I lost 115 pounds in the house where she was going to be living as soon as I moved out. She had a lot more faith in the strength of her relationship than I would have if an ex-wife was in the picture.

She usually has a Hanukkah brunch, but I begged off because I wanted my son to be able to attend and figured he wouldn't come if I were there. But she, too, was hurt by his mental breakdown, as was Dave, and she didn't have her usual brunch. But I made them these round sugar cookies and gave them to them with a card. These are the cookies:

View attachment 2224

I asked him to come over and told him I'd write me a card from him that he could give to me. That's the kind of jokey thing we do. He did & I busied myself elsewhere while he read the card & added to it. Then he gave it to me & I pretended to be all surprised & we cracked up. I opened the card and read what he had added, and an envelope of cash fell out. He gave me $300 for Christmas and boy, did I need it. I'm so glad he didn't listen to me.

He also brought me some nosh from his wife, who had had a brunch after all, but kept it small with her immediate family. It included latkes and oy, such a bagel with cream cheese and lox! But she cut the bagel in half, used only a tiny amount of cheese & lox and a lot of vegetables, because she knows how I eat. Later I noticed that she had actually drawn & colored a big gift label, which must have taken her an hour to do! She's a mensch!

View attachment 2225

these are the tiniest petit fours I've ever seen. they are too rich to eat even a whole one, but i ate half of the christmas tree.

Also on Christmas day, my estranged son phoned, two months to the day after he disappeared after having a psychotic break. I wasn't happy to hear from him because he was trying to make it seem like everything was normal, and was bragging about all the accomplishments he had made in the last two months and how proud he was of himself. We came near having a conversation about That Night, but he started sounding angry so we changed the subject. I wasn't playing his game. I just answered his questions, then suggested he call Dave, who thought he was mad at him. He said he'd talk to me soon, but I really am not prepared for that. He asked how I was and I said, "devastated." He ruined my life, on the eve of signing a lease on a house, before I broke my wrist & arm, went off and slept in his car, returned and violently threw everything in the dumpster he'd left behind and just generally left me confused and beyond depressed. I know intellectually he's mentally ill, but emotionally, I'm all wrapped up in love & hate & anger.

anyway, I'm going to pay my credit cards down and use Dave's money to live on, and I have started looking for a 1br house so i can move. I can't do any heavy lifting, but I have a wonderful moving guy I've used a few times and have recommended him to others. He will do everything and I'll be able to pay him cash, as soon as I find a place just for me.

And I have started working on a book about life after bariatric surgery. God knows I've already written enough posts about it to fill a multi-volume encyclopedia. When I get a bit further I may ask some of you for permission to quote you in this book, and will give you whatever credit or compensation you think is right. If you do not want to be included under any circumstance, send me a private message.

And don't feel self-conscious. I already have all the material I need, so I won't be using anything I get from present and future posts. I'm in the same boat with you and I need this group as much as you do, for loving emotional support, not for grist for the writing mill.

I'm so happy for you that you still got all "dolled-up" to celebrate yesterday. And it sounds like your ex is a wonderful man and friend. I'm happy for you that you got to see him and that he's still there for you.

I'm excited for you about the book. You have so much knowledge and experience to share and you're a wonderful writer so I'm sure you'll shine a beautiful light on everyone you quote.

Good luck with the house search. I love moving. Not the packing and unpacking hassle but the whole fresh start of it. I bought my condo in 2017 but I already have the itch to put it on the market in search of the next "clean-slate". Hehe, no commitment issues here. ;) Hehe...

View attachment 2224

View attachment 2225

View attachment 2224

View attachment 2225

Yay for you on so many levels! I love that you were dressed to the nines and celebrated the day for you. Doing the little things that make you feel good make all the difference on how your day turns out.

I am so proud of you for talking to your son and not hanging up the phone! The first several conversations after a big altercation with someone are hard. Especially because you have specific expectations. In your head you have thought out the thousand and one scenarios that will play out and you tend to focus on the few that would make you feel good and then of course the worst case scenarios. About a year before my dad passed, we had a huge fight. I had been living with my grandpa (his father) and taking care of him when he passed. In taking care of him, I would pay my grandfathers bills from his account and do any shopping he needed with his debit card. My dad accused me of stealing from my grandpa and it went downhill from there. We didn't speak for 4 months. I don't remember how it happened or why, but one of us made a call to the other. We never once discussed what had occurred. I remember I wanted to, so I could clear my name and have him think of me as the woman he raised and not some deviant he now thought me to be. The first couple of conversations hurt because he never apologized. But he was talking to me again. And that was everything to me. So we just moved forward and swept the incident under the rug.

It is still tough because I wonder what he really thought of me before passing and if he ever felt sorry for the false accusations he threw at me. But because I was willing to forgo the things I thought I needed to heal, I was able to spend the last several months of his life with him instead of estranged. So it is going to be hard, and you may not get all the answers/closure on the issue that you want, but take it a conversation at a time. Maybe you two will have to get on solid ground and make sure the foundation is sturdy again before chiseling away at it with the past. Do what feels comfortable but also remember, all small steps now can lead to a happier life later on. You may not notice it is happening but it gets you there one step at a time.

And that is amazing that you are writing another book! I think you have such a great experience to share and I can't wait to read it. You are an inspiring woman with a story to tell and I know so many people will benefit from it. You may save more than just your life. :)

Back