• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What is Water/Fluids???

DelRae

Thank you for the add. This group is really helpful and has a lot of great info in it. This might be confusing and a little long but I'm trying to learn as much as I can before my surgery. I still have a few months to go before I reach all my insurance requirements and am so ready to make this be a success. I'm starting to get in the habit of journaling, getting in my protein and water. But what is considered water? Is water just that, plain water? Or do you consider any liquid as part of your water intake. I'm just trying to make sense of everything. For example, does decaf coffee, tea, broth, flavored water, count towards your water/liquid intake. What about protein shakes and skim milk, can you count those as part of you water/liquid intake? I have sort of come up with a food schedule to help get into a new habit.
I start each day sipping on 16 ounces of plain old water before I leave for work at 7:30. Then I have a little something for breakfast that contains at lease 5 grams protein (egg, cheese, decaf coffee, etc) between 8:30 and 9:00. At 9:30 I start sipping on another 16 ounces water with Genpro protein powder (1 scoop 30 grams protein). I can usually do this by drinking the plain water and cups of broth. I quit sipping on water at 12:00 and have lunch between 12:30 and 1:00 containing at 10 grams protein (meat, vegetable, yogurt, fruit, etc). At 1:00 I am back to sipping on another 16 ounces water, broth, etc. and stop at 3:00. At 3:30 I have a premier protein (30 grams protein). Start sipping on 8 ounces water at 4:00. Get home from work about 5:00 and sip on another 8 ounces water while make dinner stopping at 6:00. Have dinner between 6:30 and 7:00 containing at least 10 grams of protein (meat, vegetable, fruit, egg, soup, etc). Then at 7:30 I sip on another 8 ounces of water. I quit all water intake at 8:30. So using this plan by 8:30 in the evening I have had 70 ounces water and 80 grams protein. But I need to know what all constitutes as water. I know this might sound bad but If I can get by with less plain water and be able to count other liquids it would sure help me reach my water/fluid goals. I also measure out 1 scoop Genpro protein powder (30 grams protein), put it into a shaker, like a salt shaker, and shake in on my foods. It is a really fine unflavored powder and it totally tasteless. Does not change the consistency or task of any thing you put it on and adds another 30 grams protein to your day.

HI, welcome to the group!

You will find that what doctors consider to count as water will vary from one to another so it is really best to ask your bariatric center. I can tell you that mine counts all liquids except for anything caffeinated, and if you drink caffeine you actually have to make up by drinking extra water. But I can count broth, protein shakes, flavored water and just about anything else. I will point out that the more you can drink just plain water, the better. Try to limit artificial sweeteners as best as you can.

When I struggled to get water in, my last 16 ounces of water would be with crystal light iced tea. Now I find I am satisfied with lemon water and making sure the water is nice and cold. So I have a 32 ounce insulated water bottle that I drink two of during the day and it is always nice and cold like I prefer it.

I have to say I am impressed with your schedule and I think you will do just fine post-surgery. You are smart in getting yourself ready in this manner and I wish you all the best on your journey!

In the beginning, like for a couple weeks after surgery, my surgical team says anything non caffeinated counts towards the 64 oz. Once I was able to drink more at a time, water was to be the bulk of the 64oz but still anything without caffeine was fine. But as Judy said, it can be different for different doctors.

WOW! You are doing all that BEFORE surgery?!? You are going to be a freakin' rock star .. like the Mick Jagger of WLS! I am awed. And everyone is correct, your WL team will tell you what constitutes water. Right now, since you're pre-surgery and therefore have room, I would try to count only plain water or flavored water as water. Once you have surgery, you have a much smaller stomach and so your program may allow you to count protein drinks, herbal tea, milk etc as water. However, anything caffeinated (even decaf has some caffeine) is not usually allowed to be counted as water, ever.

Back