• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What I've learned 20 months Post-op....

TraceyT

I had GB 1/22/2020 - I'm a few days shy of 20 months post-op. This is what I've learned through this process to now.

I started a journal the day I had my first visit at the weight loss clinic. I added to my journal daily and I continue to write daily. Some days were great while others were your typical "gone postal" days. There were a lot more great, good, and bad days than there were "gone postal." It's been a wonderful tool for me to look back on and figure out what was happening that made me postal that day/days/weeks/months what have you. Keeping the journal has been therapeutic for me.

Deciding to have WLS is a huge thing. Then figuring out
your INSURANCE - like what kind of hoops, loops, and ass holes you need to jump through - spin - or pucker up to is another HUGE thing. Once you find your surgical team - talk with their person/persons who deal with the insurance companies to see what specific requirements your insurance has for weight loss surgery. It'll save you on the headache/ass ache/chap stick for ass kissing later on.

Tell or don't tell is huge question for a lot of people having bypass surgery. The answer varies from person to person. I personally decided to tell a very very few select family members. Some people will think it's great - others will
literally say things like - why can't you just diet and exercise, my personal favorite I got some super glue and duct tape you can have for free and save yourself $30,000, this is usually followed by a huge belly laugh. I have to remind myself - I can't kill them because they don't have Netflix in prison! People like that are truly not on your side - you don't need toxic people in your life EVER - get a broom and sweep them to the curb.

I tried to follow my surgical teams advice/plan for me. Most days I succeeded - some days not even close.
Tomorrow is another day to try again, and that's ok. It didn't kill me - I survived and I'm thriving! Never give up - never give in - never surrender! It can be done.

I bought specific measuring cups and spoons that I kept in my purse to use when we went out to eat. It was easier for me to measure it than guess at it. I still have them in my purse - not sure when I'll get rid of them. I don't measure food now - but I still start with my
protein and if I have room - I'll eat some of the other stuff. I still don't eat enough of a meal out to order my own - so I get a variety from whatever my girls and husband order.

As with most of us, I had some bad eating habits. You know that - lets grab a bag of chips and that package of cookies and watch a move mentality. I made a conscious choice - I ONLY eat at my
kitchen table. I also never bring a big bag of chips to the table. All of my snacks/meals - have been meal prepped. So if I'm eating a protein yogurt or protein brownie with some fruit or nuts - I'll grab the baggies out of the fridge and go sit at the kitchen table and eat. My husband says it keeps me honest - I just refuse to go back to where I came from! When I finish my snack or meals I'll go watch that movie - but not while I'm eating. This has helped me tremendously. I don't need food to enjoy a movie.

Weight Loss Surgery is a T O O L! It is not a "cure". It's a tool to get you started in the right direction. You can put the tool in the tool shed and be back where you started in a few years. Use the tool to help you achieve your goals.

Don't compare your weight loss to others. People will lose weight at different speeds - it's not a sprint - slow and steady is good too. There are reasons people lose weight faster than others. Listen to your body and go at your own pace!

Your hair may or may not fall out. If it does - it's just hair - it'll grow back. If it doesn't - there are other options - wigs, extensions, or a cute new short style! It'll be ok!

Post-op
eating plans will vary. Here again, don't compare yours to theirs. Mine was liquids for 1 week, pureed for 1 week, then regular food. Others were on liquids for 2-3 weeks, pureed for 2 weeks. Depending on your surgical team - where you had your surgery - has a lot to do with your post-op plan. The amount of liquid and protein you're asked consume may also vary. For me, I was/am able to count all liquids - including protein shakes, tea, coffee in my total liquids consumed. My protein intake is 90 grams a day. It's higher than a lot of others - but that's ok.

The scale. My first couple of weeks post-op I had to weigh myself 3 times a day and log all of my food and
liquid to send to my surgical team. Muscle weighs more than fat. Repeat that! Muscle weighs more than fat! Your body may also stop losing weight for a while - it could last a week, month, or more. It happens - it's normal. It can be caused by your metabolism - it'll slow down and weight loss can stall. Your body is adapting to the new diet -
fewer calories. It will pass. Just give your body time to figure it out.

Don't become a slave/victim to the scale. I didn't want to become one of those people that was on the scale 3,4,5,6 ytimes a day fretting over why I've only lost another 1/2 pound. Life is way too short for that shit! I actually put my scale away - would have to dig it out of its hiding place to use it - I didn't pull it out very often. I'd pull it out once a month-or not at all some months. Don't let the number on the scale run your life.

Celebrate your accomplishments! Set small goals with rewards for when you meet that goal. When I hit Onederland - my girls and I had a long relaxing spa day! Get a mani-pedi when you get to a certain weight - whatever works for you. you also need to celebrate the NSV - non scale victories! They are just as
important as your victories on the scale! Buy some new lingerie when you hit a specific size!

If you're married - have a life partner - significant other - remember they are on this journey with you! Your body is changing - your "other" their life is changing. It may sound weird - but it's true. They are on this journey with you - as you change - their life changes. Sometimes it's for the better - other times it's not so good. As for me - I've tried to include my husband in this journey on a daily basis. He went with me to 90% of my appointments. I
encouraged him ask questions if/when he had them. If he thought of questions while he was working or something - he texted them to me and he would ask them at the next appointment. My husband had some very weird moments. We were asleep in the middle of the night he had a hand on my hip - he woke me up saying I had a huge bump/knot on my side. I wake up and say babes it's my HIP BONE. Even now - if he throws his arm on my hip - he'll rub my hip bone and say it's not a knot/bump it's just ya hip bone. For some redneck reason he thinks that's the funniest thing and he'll bust out laughing. Just keep in mind they are going through this too. My husband and girls eat better and healthier as a result of me having WLS.

Trust your body. You know your body better than anyone else. If you feel "off" or like something is wrong - talk to your doctor. If you have a doctor that tells you - nothing is wrong, that shouldn't hurt like that, or any other thing that make you doubt your own feelings and knowledge of your body - find a different doctor. Doctors may know anatomy better than you do - but they don't know YOUR body the way YOU do. Be your own health advocate.

You may have medical issues you were not aware of until you lose weight. I had multiple hernias - I had one hernia that had herniated in 2 places. Once we got it figured out and corrected my health improved. Again, be your own advocate!

You may have medical issues that go away once you've lost some weight. However, if you fall back into old eating habits and patterns they could come back. Surgery is a T O O L - you still have to work the tool!

The weight my surgical team decided was good for me 145 is not the weight I am now. I weighed 220 the day of surgery and I weigh 118 now. Contrary to popular belief it's difficult for some people to gain weight after bypass surgery.

These are just some of the things I've learned on my weight loss journey thus far. I'm looking forward to see what else this wonderful wild ride adventure can teach me.

This is what my husband got me for losing all the weight! This is just one of the reasons I'm gonna keep him :p;)

Tracey, that is really incredible!

I started out making a video journal. On the first bad day, I stopped journaling. My husband asked me why I wasn't making videos anymore, and I told him that I stopped when I had a few bad days, and felt it wouldn't be authentic if I only did it on the good days. He said I should do a video recapping all the days I didn't do, and explain why. I just lost my enthusiasm when things got rough.

So I give you high praise for continuing and then posting such a great post here!

Tracey,
I am sitting here reading your post and I am just amazed how you answered so many questions I have been having. I am in the beginning stages. I have been approved by the cardiologist, I've have chest x-ray, i meet with the Pulmonologist on 24th of sept (ironically the day after my 50th bday) then with the dietician Oct 6th. Reading your words definitely gives me some encouragement I need as I am still scared to get the surgery but i really know its the best thing for me. Thank you for sharing your story as I needed to hear it. :)

Tracey aka T3

Back