• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What will soothe me?

Badgy

It's not bad. I'm just overwhelmed and there's no relief. I quit smoking 2016 - so I can't have a cigarette. Now I can no longer plunge into a pan of brownies and booze has so many calories. Weed gives me munchies. What can I do for fun? For stress? For cutting loose? There's only so much herbal tea a person can stomach.

This will be forever, won't it? I need a new addiction or something. I've been watching massive amounts of YouTube videos with bariatric successes and failures. I don't want to be one of the failures but the idea of having to count calories for the rest of my life is making me freak.

I'm an all or nothing person. To be this focussed on IF I can eat, WHAT I can eat, WHEN can I eat, WHY I eat, for the rest of my life is overwhelming. I know it's probably just one day at a time but... All my vices will be gone. And who will I be without them?

That is the thing about vices they hide you, make you think you are nothing without them. Instead of looking for a vice in the negative sense, what sort of things do you just enjoy doing that can keep your hands and mind busy? I play music, write, and took up sewing. Some people crochet/knit... one of my friends took up lettering (like amazingly beautiful) and is so good at it I am trying to convince her to make some pieces to sell. My husband and I also get onto an app called All Trails and randomly pick walks in the area. This is normally on the weekends because of work, but it is something that has become a habit - toss the dogs in the car and go! Your vice does not have to be just one thing - it can be anything healthy that replaces that auto response to go to food.

wow, that is one of the most eloquent, revealing analyses of vices i've ever read. i hope everyone reads it two or three times and lets it soak in. El has touched on the deep part of the wound and exposed it, and she's suggested some ways to deal with it so you can live with it and heal.

Try new things and find new things that are fulfilling. Everything can be overwhelming because you are changing everything. I don’t look at things as what I am giving up rather what I am gaining. I also look at like this..we were never supposed to eat and love like this so the new lifestyle is correcting the mistakes made in the first place.

Back