• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

What's the most recent book you've read?

I'm not sure what the last fiction book I read was but it was probably something by Jack Kerouac, or a biography of Jack Kerouac. I am a writer and my specialty is 20th century literature, though I write about a lot of other things and used to be a reporter for NPR.

I do know that the last book I read is the book I'm still reading and I recommend it passionately to everyone. It's called Choosing Civility, The 25 Rules of Considerate Conduct, by P. M. Forni. Before Dr. Forni died suddenly, he established the Civility Project at Johns Hopkins University, where he was a professor of Italian literature. He was a year younger than me and died last winter. His books on civility are just brilliant and this particular one is the easiest to read and learn from. You can read one of the chapters a day as a devotion, as some people would do with a morning Bible study.

Before that, I read Battle Cry of Freedom, The Civil War Era by James M. McPherson, a volume in the Oxford History of the United States. Sadly, I find it helpful to revisit the Civil War, given our current political climate in America.

And before that I was reading a Batman comic, because I have a casual online friendship with Jason O'Mara, the actor who starred in the movie.

Wow. If you just judged me by my reading list, you might think I was really weird.

Back