• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

When can I start eating salads?

Sandie

Do any of you eat salad with lettuce, tomato and cukes? I sure did love my salads and now feel I am missing them but I am only 3 and half weeks out so on stage 3 but wondering once I get to stage 4 and a few months out, can I ever eat salads again? I am having a terrible time with protein, my stomach will not tolerate any of the protein drinks, I get very nauseated from them, so now eat deviled eggs, cottage cheese and greek type yogurt(Yoplait 100 2x protein),string cheese etc. The problem is I get feeling full so fast that do not eat much of any of these things. It s a lot for me to finish one deviled egg, or finish one little carton of yogurt. I am looking forward to have the pouch/stomach heal and feel less full all the time!

I will be glad when I get to the stage you have for foods-I am still on the clear liquid except for the skim milk and protein drinks.
I won't change until Jan 3rd when my first post-op visit is.

I think it is further out for the salad-some people can't eat lettuce even far out. My sister had her Bypass in 2000 and still can't eat lettuce, which she loved beforehand. She told me that she misses that the most.
And then I hear from other people out a ways that they are now eating lettuce-so I don't know.

Carol

Sandie ask your doctor they are all different, I could eat salad at six weeks I had no problems, I had my surgery October 1, 2012, the only thing I have a problem with is pork, but it's getting better, everyone is different , I wish you the best of luck..

Ya, at this point I am having trouble getting any food in, I could not get more than a half of small yogurt in today but then later in day tried Jarlsburg sliced cheese and got two thin slices down and a slice of deli chicken coldcut down. GOT to get the proteins in. Making Wendy's Chili which we were told we could have and bought some and it wa great so now got the recipe and making it but with Ground Turkey instead of ground Chuck. Wish me luck, I HAVE GOT TO GET THE PROTEIN IN!!!

Ya know even today when my stomach is not agreeing with me Wendy's chili is the best, put some cheese and sour cream on it and your full of protein, another good source of protein is retried beans, again with 2% cheese and low fat sour cream, it's hard to get your protein in at first so try to get at least two shakes in that will help and don't be worried about only eating two or three bites at a sitting that will change I promise, keep up the good work

The problem is that I cannot drink the protein drinks, they really make me nauseated and have tried all kinds, with and without lactose. My honey made me some Wendy's chili and thanks for the suggestion of putting cheese on it for more protein. will have for supper and see how that goes. Trying everything to get in enough protein! I know I am to have 3-5 small meals but I am trying to eat each time I can trying to get the protein in. I will attend to being more scheduled once I am getting in enough of protein.

I will be glad once I can have chili in my diet stage. Putting low fat cheese and low fat sour cream with it to add to the protein sounds good. Heck even fat free refried beans sound good now.

Carol

every day will be different. I am 17mos out and sometimes can eat chicken or pork with no problem other days not. It will be a lot of trial and errors as we all progress on our journeys Good luck to us all

I have been reading all the postings and it sounds like I have been pretty lucky so far! I have not really had any problems and have not found anything I could not eat (everything in moderation of course). I have lost about 80 pounds and am 1 1/2 years post op with RNY (started out at 208 & am now 134 - my goal is 125, but the last few pounds are slow coming off). The biggest problem I have is with alcohol, it hits me way too fast, so I seldom indulge anymore and when I do it is usually a wine spritzer or something like that which is very diluted. I have found it is better to get something that looks like a drink so people will stop pushing the alcohol at me. I use the protein shakes as my staple because my hair got very thin, but is now starting coming back.

i had the worst trouble with protein shakes too , i found EAS Myoplex carb control actually quite good , they have french vanilla and chocolate fudge . they pre made and are sold at rite-aid and walmart . they are the only ones i can tolerate . hope this helps

I don't remember when I was told when I can have lettuce. I had my surgery June 25, and and I have been enjoying salads very much since November I think. I enjoy them much more than I ever used to.

The recipe I got was by googling Wendy's Chili recipe and there were a few but the one I used was the one that said it was from his brother or something like that who worked there. VERY good and we did use ground Turkey. Let me know if you cannot find it but you will I think.

I have eaten lettuce and salads since I started on solid foods. Doesn't bother me in the least. I love my salads, but have to protein it up with bacon bits, cheese, chicken, or something. I know alot of peopel that can't tolerate lettuce for a very long time, I havn't had an issue at all, or with dumping, or most anything. I'm glad.

Back