• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

When does it start?

MANDY2910

I have been told and have heard that the weight just “falls off” after you have WLS. Starting to wonder when that happens. I am losing about 2 pounds a week and I’m not complaining but I can hardly call that “falling off”. I know we aren’t supposed to compare ourselves to other people and their progress but I’m just a little frustrated by how slow this is.

Two pounds a week over the course of a year is more than 100 pounds... I know that can be a harder time frame consider, but that is a lot of weight gone in a relatively short amount of time. There are a lot of factors to the "falling off", such as your starting weight at the time of surgery and the type of surgery you've had.

I have been told and have heard that the weight just “falls off” after you have WLS. Starting to wonder when that happens. I am losing about 2 pounds a week and I’m not complaining but I can hardly call that “falling off”. I know we aren’t supposed to compare ourselves to other people and their progress but I’m just a little frustrated by how slow this is.

I never lost more then 2-3 pounds a week. Personally it was frustrating but in the long run I feel like it allowed my skin a chance to somewhat tighten up. The only saggy skin I have is my arms. My belly doesn't sag anymore the it did from having babies.

I lost all of my weight by 6 months post for a total of 66-70 pounds.

My experience has been that some weeks are slower than others due to stalls, but then all of the sudden things pick and I drop more the next week. I have lost 36 since surgery. I keep thinking that I never would’ve been able to lose that amount of weight in that time before WLS. Once I reached the point where people started noticing, their compliments helped keep me from getting frustrated. Keep to your plan and you’ll get there. It’s not just about your weight. Think of the positive impact you’re having on your overall health.

Be patient I believe a lot of factors are involved. You made the right choice and you will see results. Everyone I know that has had the surgery (tow of my friends, my sister and my niece) had great results and yes some took a little longer than others but it does happen. I am so excited to have my surgey done. Nothing beats losing weight with litte to no effort. Consider how many times you dieted or joined a gym to lose weight and the only thing that happened was you gained it back? I wish you all the best.

Back