• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

When should I cut my hair?

don't cut it. you may be one of the people who doesn't suffer noticeable hair loss. since I had surgery, i've never seen anyone who had hair loss so severe that it made any difference in their appearance. you don't go bald. my hair loss was pretty significant and i have very fine hair, which was also thin before surgery. standing in front of the mirror with the overhead light, i can see my scalp, populated by strands of hair that are very far apart. it's a little depressing, but considering all the gifts this surgery has given me, i just accept that nothing wonderful is ever perfect. no one has ever mentioned my hair or made a rude comment. it's just vanity that makes me feel sad about it at all.

has anyone here actually gone bald or suffered significant patches where hair no longer grows?

I am in agreement as well. I actually just went to my hairdresser last week and we were discussing what could happen in the next few months. She still styled my hair like I wanted but then she did a little bit of layering and who knows what else to help. She stated that there are certain ways to cut your hair so that if you start to lose some, you are able to style around it. The layers will help give a volumizing look and she cut it with the part in the middle of my head even though I always part it on the same side. That way if I lose hair more on one side, I can flip the look the other way and still be covered. So I would just talk to your stylist and ask for any advice as to what could be added in to your cut to prepare for potential hair loss.

Hello all, so happy I found this group. As I read, I know that I am not the only one with hair, acne issues. I had my surgery 3-28-19, my HW 332lbs, at the time of surgery I was at the same weight, CW 238, this month will be my 9th months after surgery. As far as losing hair, I aimed to take biotin pills and a product called hairfinity to support my hair. I notice hair loss 2 months after surgery. I lost a lot of hair (lucky thing I have lots of hair) but I do notice is a bit litter now. Good thing is that by month 5 it stopped , and now I still see hair loss but not as much. I continue to take hair supplement and I give my hair mask with proteins and oils to help the process. Keep your hair, trim it if necessary but if you think is more manageable at a shorter length then go for it. The most important thing is that we are all on the path of losing weight and getting healthier

I'm going to lose my hair??
Likely some. I've been lucky and at 9 months, have regrowth happening. My stylist compared it to how some women loose some hair when postpartum. You'll likely start seeing more loss in the shower or in your brush between 3-6 months but it does stop.

Please don't let this scare you. My loss wasn't noticeable to anyone but me. It was only the regrowth that got my stylist asking if I'm on some good vitamins since there is so much new hair coming back in.

Okay. I have pretty thick hair but it's thinning with age & perimenopause. But that would make me terribly self conscience. Strangely, more than my weight.
This is probably the single most discussed topic in this group so you aren't alone! :)

But you'll see that feeling good is well worth the price of a little hair.

Be sure to follow your medically-recommended meal plan (lots of protein) and take all your vitamins. Without strict adherence, you could loose more than you need to.

When is your surgery? What type are you having?

This is probably the single most discussed topic in this group so you aren't alone! :)

But you'll see that feeling good is well worth the price of a little hair.

Be sure to follow your medically-recommended meal plan (lots of protein) and take all your vitamins. Without strict adherence, you could loose more than you need to.

When is your surgery? What type are you having?
my first meeting with the surgeon was yesterday. And I met with the dietitian. And they asked which one I thought was best and I said the sleeve, but I spoke to my friends who had it recently and they said they'd heard the sleeve sales when it comes to keeping the weight off. So I came here to see if anyone knew about this.

my first meeting with the surgeon was yesterday. And I met with the dietitian. And they asked which one I thought was best and I said the sleeve, but I spoke to my friends who had it recently and they said they'd heard the sleeve sales when it comes to keeping the weight off. So I came here to see if anyone knew about this.

Both surgeries have great success rates, we have many members on both teams. ;)

I went with RNY (Roux-en-Y gastric bypass) because it's been around the longest and data showed that patients seem to loose faster. But it's more invasive so I can see the appeal for the sleeve for that reason.

My only regret was putting it off for so long.

I have been loosing my hair for months now, wayyyyy before I changed to the bypass, before I had the sleeve. I am in menopause though..... yay go me lol. I just bought some biotin and I am looking forward to starting my protein back up because I’m only 4 days post op, they won’t let me have it yet. I cut my hair a couple of years ago when I had the sleeve because it was the first time I’m my life that my face was ever slim and I loved it, so we kept it short.
I say if you want to keep your hair long then do it and don’t worry about it! You never know you might change your mind later on like I did lol. Again I didn’t cut mine because of hair loss at the time, it was only because my face looked so nice with a shorter haircut.

When I had my sleeve, I cut my hair to pixie length and totally regretted it. This time with my revision, I have a LOT more hair loss, but I just have worked with my hair stylist to do a cut that gives the illusion of more hair. It is finally starting to slow down some, so I hope that it will stop altogether soon. All that to say, don't feel like the only option is to cut it all off. Wait and see how bad it is before taking steps.

I was told to by a friend to take prenatal vitamins. I don't have a surgery date yet and plan on the sleeve. I also have really long hair and wonder how if hair falls out then you get regrowth I guess you would have to cut it in layers?
I am at almost 10 months post-op and dealing with some regrowth causing kind of a cowlick but once that hair is a little longer, shouldn't be an issue. I've just parted my hair differently for the time being. I also use jumbo hot rollers a lot, waves tend to help. My hair is shoulder length and I make sure to get trims every 6-8 weeks so that it stays as healthy as possible.

When I had my sleeve, I cut my hair to pixie length and totally regretted it. This time with my revision, I have a LOT more hair loss, but I just have worked with my hair stylist to do a cut that gives the illusion of more hair. It is finally starting to slow down some, so I hope that it will stop altogether soon. All that to say, don't feel like the only option is to cut it all off. Wait and see how bad it is before taking steps.
I did the pixie too and regretted it immediately!

Back