• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

When we’re you able to handle Romain lettuce?

I don’t think I tried any lettuce until 4 months out, but I always had a hard time with it because of my gallbladder. Since that was removed when I had my surgery, I wanted to wait to make sure I wasn’t having any type of psychosomatic/mental response to feeling sick after eating it. When I did have it thought I was fine. I don’t really eat wraps, so I can’t give a good substitute.

Lettuce is solid food+! It has so many cells and sturdy compositon, it takes a long time to chew, and longer to digest. It actually requires burning calories to digest.

I'd probably wait a long time before using it as a wrap. But if you want to benefit from its many positives, I'd julienne slice it.

But if you must wrap, use leaf lettuce, not romaine, and chew it into a paste (practically) before swallowing.

There have been posts lately about chewing, and it's one of the Top Ten must-dos after bariatric surgery. Lettuce is in the top two.

I don't remember when I started eating lettuce again, but I was required to chew 30 times, and my doc made me begin this weeks before surgery. It's actually really cool in relation to taste.

I'm always the last person at the table with food on her plate. Its the solution to the mysery about why I'm so thin compared to most of my dining companions. And I always end up taking food home, so I eat the most likely to wilt before anything else, followed by protein.

Screenshot_20210626-152205.png

I am about 3 months out and just started to add in leafy greens. I got butterhead lettuce for wraps this week actually, it’s very soft and I tried it with a slice of turkey and a slice of Swiss. I have also had a few bites of spinach - I ordered a salad at a restaurant and really just ate the chicken on top but included some spinach leaves on my fork too. No problems so far but I did chew carefully and it’s not an everyday thing. Before adding in greens I just rolled up deli turkey with cheese and dipped in low fat dressing or mustard.

I am about 3 months out and just started to add in leafy greens. I got butterhead lettuce for wraps this week actually, it’s very soft and I tried it with a slice of turkey and a slice of Swiss. I have also had a few bites of spinach - I ordered a salad at a restaurant and really just ate the chicken on top but included some spinach leaves on my fork too. No problems so far but I did chew carefully and it’s not an everyday thing. Before adding in greens I just rolled up deli turkey with cheese and dipped in low fat dressing or mustard.
Butter lettuce. That's what I meant but couldnt remember when i wrote my post!

At about 10 weeks I tried lettuce on hamburgers and a salad. I had no trouble tolerating it.
I’m
Lettuce is solid food+! It has so many cells and sturdy compositon, it takes a long time to chew, and longer to digest. It actually requires burning calories to digest.

I'd probably wait a long time before using it as a wrap. But if you want to benefit from its many positives, I'd julienne slice it.

But if you must wrap, use leaf lettuce, not romaine, and chew it into a paste (practically) before swallowing.

There have been posts lately about chewing, and it's one of the Top Ten must-dos after bariatric surgery. Lettuce is in the top two.

I don't remember when I started eating lettuce again, but I was required to chew 30 times, and my doc made me begin this weeks before surgery. It's actually really cool in relation to taste.

I'm always the last person at the table with food on her plate. Its the solution to the mysery about why I'm so thin compared to most of my dining companions. And I always end up taking food home, so I eat the most likely to wilt before anything else, followed by protein.

View attachment 3993
Most definitely, I already chew all my food pretty good. I planned on having a hamburger for 4th July but maybe instead of using lettuce (even though my doc approves) I will use tomato slices or just use nothing lol.

I recently started adding lettuce wrapped burgers from Hardee’s after I was cleared for solid food. I also just had a 6 piece rotisserie chicken salad from Dairy Queen. Both I eat only half at a time. I have had no issues my surgery was feb 15 so I would say it was around the 12 week out time frame.

I recently started adding lettuce wrapped burgers from Hardee’s after I was cleared for solid food. I also just had a 6 piece rotisserie chicken salad from Dairy Queen. Both I eat only half at a time. I have had no issues my surgery was feb 15 so I would say it was around the 12 week out time frame.
Oh wow so you had to wait till month 3 to start eating solids again?! I would have gone nuts lol. My doctor clears us for all solids at 4 weeks post op. That doesn’t mean our stomachs will handle everything well at that point so it’s just a learning curve. That salad sounds delicious btw!

Oh wow so you had to wait till month 3 to start eating solids again?! I would have gone nuts lol. My doctor clears us for all solids at 4 weeks post op. That doesn’t mean our stomachs will handle everything well at that point so it’s just a learning curve. That salad sounds delicious btw!
Just take it slow when you start new things. And if you are not ready yet, wait a couple more weeks and retry. As for salads, when I first added them in I did it as a snack. Just a little lettuce (I used spring greens) with some cut up cherry tomatoes and that way it didn't interfere with what I was eating at my main meal. Of course you can always make a salad your main meal by adding protein to it, but I'd give the plainer salad a try first.

Just take it slow when you start new things. And if you are not ready yet, wait a couple more weeks and retry. As for salads, when I first added them in I did it as a snack. Just a little lettuce (I used spring greens) with some cut up cherry tomatoes and that way it didn't interfere with what I was eating at my main meal. Of course you can always make a salad your main meal by adding protein to it, but I'd give the plainer salad a try first.
I was eating mostly solids just not lettuce,

I ate Mr. Wu's California Poke Bowl in Deadwood SD on Sunday. Had this and it went down without a hitch. I was worried about being able to chew up the greens real fine but they were super fresh and broke down fine. I left most of the rice with thai chile for my wife.
200411252_321194382846877_5179132934230072470_n.jpg

About 2 months! I was also educated to cut out that hard middle stem
Yes, I try not to get too much of that even though it’s my fav lol… I like the crunch haha. I’m a little over a month out and I’m doing great with it! I’ve had it several times and no problems. I’ve also been having raw nuts for a while now and no issue. As long as I take my Pepcid in the AM and Omeprazole in the PM I’m good lol. Thanks for your reply, have a great weekend!

Back