• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Where is my poop!?!?

3 days post op and no BM, I am able to pass gas. I tried smooth move tea and miralax with no results. Giving it until Monday and then I am going to call my surgeon just to be on the safe side. I know I don’t have much in me but there has to be something... Right???
Patience, you just had major surgery an put to sleep. I think we all have had that problem, it does get better believe me.

No huge worries, I think it took 5 or 6 days for me and then the doctor had me take some miralax and then I had the opposite problem for 3 days, then it switched back to nothing for a few days, then the other, and then once I started more regular food things seemed to balance out just fine. Everybody reacts a bit different, but its not uncommon to go a few days. It takes a long time to condense protein drinks down into something solid and stimulating enough for your bowels to let it go, and generally we are a bit dehydrated, so that makes thinks a little harder.

If you get concerned, just call your bariatric team and they'll provide some good guidance if you need to add a laxative or something.

3 days post op and no BM, I am able to pass gas. I tried smooth move tea and miralax with no results. Giving it until Monday and then I am going to call my surgeon just to be on the safe side. I know I don’t have much in me but there has to be something... Right???

Hi Briannicole -

With 3 days post op and your probably on liquids - nothing in / nothing out. You would think educated surgeons would let people know that until you are putting some food in the poo won't be coming out.

A lot of people ask that same question. When I had surgery - I was told not to expect a significant BM until I started the pureed stage. The PA said it may take a few weeks to get things moving in the right direction again. She was right. Contact your surgical team - they can tell you exactly what you need to do.

Best of luck! May the POO be with you! :p

that is normal, i believe i did not have my first one for like 5 days. I do take some fiber chews now just to get some extra fiber in me. But I still go 2-3 days between BM's and i am now 4 months postop.

Your body will form stool even from liquids. that's how the digestive process works.

I can't stress how important it is to start using a fiber laxative. You won't be eating food with fiber for at least a few weeks but you need it daily.

Post-op bowel movements can damage your incisions, or worse. I don't know why surgeons don't insist on patients starting a fiber lax before surgery. The constipation I experienced after surgery was a real come-to-Jesus experience. 13 years layer, I always have a container of Metamucil or generic fiber. It just makes life so much better.

Fiber lax also works to lower cholesterol and break plaque.

If you Just Do It, soon you will have JUST DID IT!

Your body will form stool even from liquids. that's how the digestive process works.

I can't stress how important it is to start using a fiber laxative. You won't be eating food with fiber for at least a few weeks but you need it daily.

Post-op bowel movements can damage your incisions, or worse. I don't know why surgeons don't insist on patients starting a fiber lax before surgery. The constipation I experienced after surgery was a real come-to-Jesus experience. 13 years layer, I always have a container of Metamucil or generic fiber. It just makes life so much better.

Fiber lax also works to lower cholesterol and break plaque.

If you Just Do It, soon you will have JUST DID IT!

Back