• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Which surgery is best?

Jniz

As I mentioned in one of my previous post the Surgeon has left me a choice to have the RNY or the VSG. My wife is having the RNY preformed so it was suggested I might want to have the same surgery as my wife. At this point I’m planning on having the RNY. The surgeon seems to Favor they RYN and has 20 + years preforming WLS.

There is a continual debate around the pros and cons of both surgeries. I have read dozens of articles and know the Sleeves is the more common surgery but not always the best depending on who you ask. It is clear for some people which surgery is most suited for them.

Previous responses on this forum indicated RNY would most likely prevent me from taking nsaid ever again and the sleeve might allow me to continue for pain. I have learned there are other options for pain and my weight loss will help alleviate some of the pain. Thank-you for those who weighed in on my previous post. Insurance will pay for either so $ is not an issue in my decision which for many it is as the sleeve is cheaper for self pay and some insurances don’t allow options.

Any thoughts on this topic would be welcomed. Pro and Cons that I may not be aware of. The more I research WLS the more I find my ignorance is profound.

You can reach your weight goals with either surgery. If you look at "averages" people who get the RNY tend to lose a bit more and have better luck keeping it off, but more people than not who get either surgery have lots of success. I chose VSG because it is a little less complicated surgery and I wanted to keep my digestive tract in tact, but if the doctor would have told me that an RNY would have been better in my situation, I would have done that in a heartbeat. I think if my spouse was getting the surgery, I might lean toward getting the same thing she was.

I personally don't think there is a wrong answer, but it depends on how you want to approach it from a variety of perspectives. You'll get massive health benefits either way.

I chose the bypass due to the fact that it is slightly more successful long term and I felt that the actual bypass & malabsorption part would be helpful for me. I have had no dumping type of side effects and have not yet found a food that I absolutely cannot eat, so I'm not sure how helpful that part is. I know the bypass is more slightly more dangerous, due to an elevated risk of complications. But, for me the risk with the sleeve of severe acid reflux and the number of people who have had to have revisions was a deal breaker.

Risk of death from either surgery is practically nonexistent.

All surgery carries risk but usually that's from prolonged exposure to anaesthesia.

IMO, RYGB is the ONLY way to go. The sleeve is NOT a bypass. It merely replaces your huge stomach with a pouch. Roux-en-Y re-routes the digestive process. There is more digestion, it takes longer, and doesnt just slide down from A to Z. Its far more difficult to defeat RYGB than VSG.

Both surgeries can be performed laparascopically, so choose based on your eating habits.

I originally went to see my surgeon wanting to have the sleeve done. Once the surgeon and I talked about it - we both agreed that bypass was a better fit for me and my health issues. Bypass offered the "hope" that I could actually no longer be an insulin dependent diabetic. It actually paid off fro me. I no longer take any meds/insulin for diabetes. My A1C is in normal range. The sleeve didn't offer that hope. Consider your health issues, long term success, and go from there. Just do whats best for your particular situation.

Good luck on your awesome new life altering journey!!

I really appreciate all your thoughtful replies.

I know the reality is that the risk is low with WLS but, I still stress about going under. I’m grateful for everyone sharing thier experiences and asking the questions that many of us have.

In the past I would never even hav3 considered WLS now I regret waiting until 60.
What, I do know is that I'm sick of living with the shame when people I know see me yet again as the FAT GUY!!

This website has been godsend!! Thank-you to everyone who participates I have had so many questions answered already.

James

Back