• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Which Surgery??

KNB

I am not sure if I should get the gastric bypass or D.S. I am at a BMI of 49 so I can go either way, but the D.S. seems to be so much more invasive not to mention expensive! I was told the D.S. helps lose more weight but I am not sure why. I am very motivated and will put in the work with either one, but I would hate to go withe the gastric bypass and not lose enough weight. I am curious how others chose which surgery to have.

I am not sure if I should get the gastric bypass or D.S. I am at a BMI of 49 so I can go either way, but the D.S. seems to be so much more invasive not to mention expensive! I was told the D.S. helps lose more weight but I am not sure why. I am very motivated and will put in the work with either one, but I would hate to go withe the gastric bypass and not lose enough weight. I am curious how others chose which surgery to have.
Hi K and welcome. I had the choices of gastric bypass or the sleeve. I chose the bypass bc I had a history of GERD, and I wasn't going to risk having that after the sleeve. I had about 10 months between my 1st consultation and my surgery to do my research and get questions answered about my chosen surgery.

I am beyond satisfied with the results. My surgery day weight was 234 lbs (July 12th) and my current weight is around 168 lbs, a total loss of about 66 lbs so far. I plan on reaching my 1st goal of 150lbs by my anniversary date, and I will be satisfied when I get down to 135lbs, my ultimate goal.

Good luck on your journey and whichever choice you make. It's a life-changing surgery no matter what.

Hi K and welcome. I had the choices of gastric bypass or the sleeve. I chose the bypass bc I had a history of GERD, and I wasn't going to risk having that after the sleeve. I had about 10 months between my 1st consultation and my surgery to do my research and get questions answered about my chosen surgery.

I am beyond satisfied with the results. My surgery day weight was 234 lbs (July 12th) and my current weight is around 168 lbs, a total loss of about 66 lbs so far. I plan on reaching my 1st goal of 150lbs by my anniversary date, and I will be satisfied when I get down to 135lbs, my ultimate goal.

Good luck on your journey and whichever choice you make. It's a life-changing surgery no matter what.
I appreciate your input!

Welcome to the group. I don't know much about the duodenal switch so I can't speak about it but I think it is wise to ask around and make an informed decision. I often think I jumped in too quickly and had already decided on VSG when I probably should have given the bypass more consideration.

Try using the search tool in the upper right corner and see if you can come up with some information that might be helpful.
Also, I recommend checking out Dr. Matthew Weiner on YouTube. I know he has informative videos on the various bariatric surgical procedures.

Good luck and let us know which one you decide on.

I talked it over with my regular doctor and she with myself came to the conclusion of the bypass. I don’t want to take the chance of the sleeve slipping. My opinion

Back