• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Why am I gaining weight?!

I am a month out of surgery. The first 2 weeks I dropped 21 pounds, then was at a stand still for a week and now I’ve gained 7 pounds back. What is going on?!

I believe your body is readjusting. 21 lbs in 14 days is not sustainable and could have been some water weight. That is probably the regain part. It is common to have a standstill early on. Frustrating but a similar thing happened to me. Keep working the plan, you will swing back the other way!

Hey Short! Welcome to the group. There are a multitude of answers and some wise and august members of the group agree with the swing theory.

You will probably be a lot more relaxed if you don't try to track your weight. You really should not be weighing yourself. I'm not sure if you got your first number from your doctor's office oh, but that's the only place you should be weighed in the first month and probably in the second.

If you do weigh at home after that you should have a hella accurate scale that you paid a lot of money for. I cannot remember the brand name, but there is one that is recommended by bariatric clinics.

I knew that my home scale was a piece of garbage so I never bothered to weigh myself. I did eventually weigh myself at the scale at the YMCA and at the doctor's office.

But let's explore the idea that you may not exactly eating and drinking what you're supposed to. This happens occasionally, even though we all know we are not eating crazy like we used to.

Try keeping a journal and have a very accurate scale, set of measuring cups and spoons, and a good supply of the foods from your nutritionist's list. Write down every single thing you eat, even if it's just one sip of someone else's soup.

If you do this, you will know exactly what you ate, and it might reveal that you are taking in more calories then your body can metabolize right now. It's a good idea to do it anyway. Even 12 years after I had my surgery,I was carrying an extra 20 lb and I could not for the life of me figure out why I couldn't lose it.

When I started writing everything down I was shocked. I wasn't even nibbling or grazing. I was just eating meals that were too big and had too many calories. The carbohydrate and sugars count was higher than the protein count by far.

I also was extremely sedentary. I was taking in calories but not burning them off in a useful way.

By writing everything down I lost 15 of the 20lb. over the last few months. I still have 5LB to go to get to my ideal weight. But I am NOT sweating it.

If you have other comorbidities like diabetes, your sugar count should have changed. It might be more profitable for you to follow your blood sugar readings than pounds lost.

Your new digestive tract is working on it, believe me. You are not going to gain your weight back. You are going to continue to lose weight as long as you follow this program. By the time you're two months along you will have a whole new way of looking at food and some of your old favorite triggers will no longer work with you.

But believe me, it all starts with writing everything down. It keeps us honest. And it keeps our sick eating disorders from taking over our new, positive, loving resolve. Brenda can kick in here with some affirmations to help you. Focus more on loving yourself which may be very hard. But you are lovable and you have done a very loving thing and you are going to share your love of yourself with everyone, just because you are so happy that you did this.

Other than that how are you feeling?

Best of luck, write everything down.

Maybe it could be because I am not getting my 64 oz of water and not really being able to eat what they are recommending me to eat. I’m getting like 100-250 calories a day if I’m lucky. But I will start writing everything down, I have my fitness pal so I’m sure I can do it on that! But otherwise I am feeling okay, having issues with not having energy, that’s about it.

Back