• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Why Am I So Hungry Today

elvis1977

I had surgery 5 days ago. I knew being hungry mentally would be a challenge but all day today I feel like I am starving. I was told I would not feel hungry physically. My poor husband I can’t stop crying wondering if I made the right decision. I don’t know if my hormones are Just out of whack. I am not somebody who just cries. Please tell me this gets better.

Whoever told you that you wouldn't be hungry misled you, I'm afraid. Many people go through significant hunger at times during this process. The good news is, managing and dealing with hunger can get better. It can be very difficult to feel satisfied during the liquid and puree phases, but generally it gets better as you start eating real food. Each person is a bit different and has different experiences, so when I say, "in general" it is just what I've observed. Our bodies can have a wide range of reactions as we heal and adjust to our new biology. I have days when I'm much, much hungrier than others, and on those days I do tend to eat more, but I choose foods that aren't calorie dense to fill up on (like veggies). That's not something you can do until you get to real food though, so it is harder during the first couple phases.

Hang in there. These first few weeks will have ups and downs, but this part of your journey is just a tiny, tiny part of it. That doesn't make it easy, I know. It's not. This journey is not a cakewalk, for sure, but it will get better and you can be as successful as you want to be!

I had surgery 5 days ago. I knew being hungry mentally would be a challenge but all day today I feel like I am starving. I was told I would not feel hungry physically. My poor husband I can’t stop crying wondering if I made the right decision. I don’t know if my hormones are Just out of whack. I am not somebody who just cries. Please tell me this gets better.

Hi -

What kind of surgery did you have? I had GB 1/22/2020 - and I truly wasn't hungry. My kids and my husband were having to remind me to eat. There were some days that when I got my 64 ounces of liquid in - I couldn't eat anything. I can fortunately count the protein shakes with my 64 ounces of liquid. Even 8 months post-op there are still times I don't get hungry.

Perhaps you should talk with your surgical team / nutritionist / counselor. They may be able to recommend more substantial dietary solutions or be able to get you someone to talk to about the mental aspects of this process.

I can't speak for others who had surgeries - but I really haven't had any issue with being hungry. I attempt to consume 70-90 grams of protein every day. Some days I do it others I don't.

The whole process does get much better and the end results are so very much worth it. I've lost 80+ pounds since 1/22/2020. I feel better - I'm off of a lot of medications that I'd taken for years.

Please talk to your surgical team and find out how they can best help you with the hunger issues. I truly wish you the best of luck on this amazing life altering journey!

I'm sorry to hear you are (both) having such a hard time. It is very difficult to not eat for weeks on end. Between the 2 week pre-op diet and the weeks after with no solid food, it can get you worked up for sure. I remember my husband decided to make a filet about a week after my surgery and was about to mess it up. So I took over the cooking. Now, I am not a huge fan of steak, which is why he decided to have one to begin with. But cooking that steak, I was the most hungry, mad, sad, frustrated I have felt about food, EVER. Once I handed it to him, I just went into the shower and cried and cried. I couldn't have eaten that steak if you gave me a million bucks. And honestly, wouldn't have chosen it anyway. (I'm a carb girl, gimme the baked potato!) But, I have a complicated relationship with food. Maybe you do too? Sometimes, we need to mourn what we think we've lost. Please hang in there. It does get better. And it keeps getting better.

Back