• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Why am I so painfully hungry post-op?! (Rant...help, please!)

KeriK

I thought that after surgery I wasn't supposed to have an appetite, but my tummy has been raging hungry since before I even got out of the hospital on Wednesday. Took me a bit to realize what the pain was as I wasn't expecting it. But it hurts more than the the incisions at this point.

Also, I'd heard that taste buds can change after the surgery. I've never been a fan of artificial sugars, but enjoyed them fine in jello, popsicles and the protein shakes during the pre-op diet. Now most of those make me gag. My son sweetly makes me tea every day (caffeine free) and today it tasted like plastic.

Any suggestions of things to drink over the next two weeks that don't have artificial sugars in them/won't make me gag?

And lastly on this negative rant (Sorry), potentially TMI...I took my first poop today and it wasn't solid, at all. My guess is that I have an intolerance to artificial sugars and I used up what it would tolerate during my pre-op diet. There's also the concern of dehydration though as I don't have the timing down on the 1 ounce cups yet. However, I went and got a hydration IV today as a back up, so I'd think that would have helped.

If you have any experience/knowledge/thoughts and could provide some tips/input, I'd greatly appreciate it! :)

I thought that after surgery I wasn't supposed to have an appetite, but my tummy has been raging hungry since before I even got out of the hospital on Wednesday. Took me a bit to realize what the pain was as I wasn't expecting it. But it hurts more than the the incisions at this point.

Also, I'd heard that taste buds can change after the surgery. I've never been a fan of artificial sugars, but enjoyed them fine in jello, popsicles and the protein shakes during the pre-op diet. Now most of those make me gag. My son sweetly makes me tea every day (caffeine free) and today it tasted like plastic.

Any suggestions of things to drink over the next two weeks that don't have artificial sugars in them/won't make me gag?

And lastly on this negative rant (Sorry), potentially TMI...I took my first poop today and it wasn't solid, at all. My guess is that I have an intolerance to artificial sugars and I used up what it would tolerate during my pre-op diet. There's also the concern of dehydration though as I don't have the timing down on the 1 ounce cups yet. However, I went and got a hydration IV today as a back up, so I'd think that would have helped.

If you have any experience/knowledge/thoughts and could provide some tips/input, I'd greatly appreciate it! :)
Awww Keri I'm sorry you had to go and have an IV today. That stinks, even though it will be helpful in the long run.
I don't know what the deal with the change in taste buds is - my dr says that's a thing too - and they also warned me that some people actually become lactose intolerant after surgery! They said if I had diarhea and bloating and felt awful I needed to not have any dairy products or dairy based shakes for 24 hours and see how I felt.
YES - I have a burning, gnawing and PAINFUL hunger. I didn't know what it was at first either but you're right - it is one of the worst pains that I'm experiencing because A) position doesn't help it B)It comes on whenever C) you don't expect it and D) it's so intense. The things that have helped me with it are heat packs right on top of the pain - that's helped big time - and then making sure I drink some protein drink as soon as that pain comes on. It isn't a constant pain ALL day, but when it starts it feels like it doesn't want to go away.

Sorry you're going through it = but I AM glad that someone knows exactly what I'm going through at the same time. I know that we will, a month from now, look back and be like.....what? Just a week of pain? What was I thinking, I look great already! hhaha

You HAVE TO drink that water, no excuses. And incorporating water into the diet causes a digestive burn 47% greater than normal.

Get a Camelback pouch with a tube. Keep the tube in your mouth and bite it ever 10 seconds.

Not drinking water can harm you. Do some research. You're used to being undisciplined. This is your chance to change your tune.

Awww Keri I'm sorry you had to go and have an IV today. That stinks, even though it will be helpful in the long run.
I don't know what the deal with the change in taste buds is - my dr says that's a thing too - and they also warned me that some people actually become lactose intolerant after surgery! They said if I had diarhea and bloating and felt awful I needed to not have any dairy products or dairy based shakes for 24 hours and see how I felt.
YES - I have a burning, gnawing and PAINFUL hunger. I didn't know what it was at first either but you're right - it is one of the worst pains that I'm experiencing because A) position doesn't help it B)It comes on whenever C) you don't expect it and D) it's so intense. The things that have helped me with it are heat packs right on top of the pain - that's helped big time - and then making sure I drink some protein drink as soon as that pain comes on. It isn't a constant pain ALL day, but when it starts it feels like it doesn't want to go away.

Sorry you're going through it = but I AM glad that someone knows exactly what I'm going through at the same time. I know that we will, a month from now, look back and be like.....what? Just a week of pain? What was I thinking, I look great already! hhaha

Thank you So Much for the tip on dairy!! (Though no denying I'll be super bummed if I can never have dairy again...No cheese, No ice cream?! :eek:) Today I'm having Evolve plant based protein shake. Yesterday was the first day I really added in much protein shake as I'd been focusing on water before that. Also added in More protein powder to the shakes to bump it up. Won't do that today though as my powders have whey. I'm definitely in never trust a fart mode, lol!

The IV is something that I actually scheduled before the surgery, at my sisters suggestion. This place has IV drips for all kinds of needs and I scheduled the pre-op one the Saturday before the surgery and the post op one for yesterday. I just sat in a chair and let the fluids do their thing through the IV. I brought my water bottle and little cup and kept refilling it...double whammy. ;)

Thank you for the hot pad tip too...I've got one on my tummy as I type this. :) And I started the protein as soon as I got downstairs. I have a timer that I found on Amazon to help me remember to drink. You just tip the clock over to 5 minutes and it counts down. I've been alternating 1 ounce cup protein to 1 ounce cup water (plus liquid Tylenol when needed), every 5 minutes, as my Dr. said. I'm curious what system/routine you're on? It seems to vary so much by individual!

I feel ya on the not wanting others to suffer, but it's nice to not be alone in the struggle. I feel fortunate that our dates were right next to each other and am grateful for your support and input. I very much look forward to that future date of feeling Good about the progress! :)

Oh! I told you about the pain pack I had? Well, it's done and I took it out this morning. It was so weird pulling this little tube out of my body, 10-12 inches long. I'll try to add a pic. Fortunately it didn't hurt. :)

And one more thing, lol...how are you doing with your binder? I haven't taken mine off yet, but am contemplating seeing how I do without it now that the big pain fanny pack isn't on it.

Hugs!

Attachments

• D2C3A132-7FF8-4538-8DBF-1A767F443CA8.jpeg
    D2C3A132-7FF8-4538-8DBF-1A767F443CA8.jpeg
    368.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 2AB5DED6-DFE2-4CEB-95F8-57B4EFAE1BA4.jpeg
    2AB5DED6-DFE2-4CEB-95F8-57B4EFAE1BA4.jpeg
    262.2 KB · Views: 72
You just had surgery 3 days ago and you think you need to make radical changes?

Please listen. How long did you go to medical school? Internship? Specialized study in digestion? Are you a surgeon?

ASK

YOUR

DOCTOR!

You may harm yourself seriously.

You HAVE TO drink that water, no excuses. And incorporating water into the diet causes a digestive burn 47% greater than normal.

Get a Camelback pouch with a tube. Keep the tube in your mouth and bite it ever 10 seconds.

Not drinking water can harm you. Do some research. You're used to being undisciplined. This is your chance to change your tune.

I get so confused by all the different things different peeps are told to do. We have a camelback, but my dr specifically said no straws for at least a year or two. I guess camelbacks are different as you bite, not suck. I will give it a go, thanks. :) The Dr told me that the one ounce cups should take three sips with 30 seconds between each and 5 minutes between each cup refill. I currently alternate between 1 cup of water and 1 cup of protein drink. I have a timer to help me. Even before this, I was a water drinker and pour from my standard 32 ounce bottle. My goal is to get through 2 of them a day, though I'm not there yet. Haven't been adding in the shakes to the calculation, though I probably should and it'd be easy as they're generally 11oz each.

I have been focusing on water and doing better than I expected, but know that I Need To Do Better. I've read up on it and know how dangerous dehydration is, especially in these circumstances.

As the artificial sweeteners now make me gag, are there any savory things or things without artificial sweeteners that you could recommend to mix it up some?

Hope your jump start to health is going well! Hugs!!

You just had surgery 3 days ago and you think you need to make radical changes?

Please listen. How long did you go to medical school? Internship? Specialized study in digestion? Are you a surgeon?

ASK

YOUR

DOCTOR!

You may harm yourself seriously.

I don't understand what I've done wrong...?

I try really hard to be a good communicator. My dr isn't available as it's the weekend. I definitely plan to call her on Monday. That's part of why I reached out here. Nymiria's tips seemed good and practical and the dairy one came from her Dr...

You obviously have more experience than me and if I'm making radical changes (beyond doing the surgery, lol) that could be dangerous, I definitely want to know. I want to do this correctly.

Yeah, I'm sorry to be so blunt. But the most maligned topic here is water intake.

Fortunately, there are some very intelligent documents to read online.

And I've always been a water drinker, so I lost fat quickly and efficiently. No one told me not to use a straw in 2007. The CamelBak saved my life.

Yeah, I'm sorry to be so blunt. But the most maligned topic here is water intake.

And I've always been a water drinker, so I lost fat quickly and efficiently. No one told me not to use a straw in 2007. The CamelBak saved my life.

I don't have an issue with bluntness, was just confused as to what exactly I'd done wrong.

Water intake Has been my focus. I'm just trying to mix it up a bit with other acceptable flavors and figure out what's going on with my taste buds, hunger pains & back side. I'm not sure about fat loss but the scale hasn't had me doing a happy dance yet, lol. Weighed myself for the first time today and it's up a few ounces. Not putting a lot of value on it as I figure my body is still trying to adjust.

Nice to meet a fellow water drinker. :)

Thank you So Much for the tip on dairy!! (Though no denying I'll be super bummed if I can never have dairy again...No cheese, No ice cream?! :eek:) Today I'm having Evolve plant based protein shake. Yesterday was the first day I really added in much protein shake as I'd been focusing on water before that. Also added in More protein powder to the shakes to bump it up. Won't do that today though as my powders have whey. I'm definitely in never trust a fart mode, lol!

The IV is something that I actually scheduled before the surgery, at my sisters suggestion. This place has IV drips for all kinds of needs and I scheduled the pre-op one the Saturday before the surgery and the post op one for yesterday. I just sat in a chair and let the fluids do their thing through the IV. I brought my water bottle and little cup and kept refilling it...double whammy. ;)

Thank you for the hot pad tip too...I've got one on my tummy as I type this. :) And I started the protein as soon as I got downstairs. I have a timer that I found on Amazon to help me remember to drink. You just tip the clock over to 5 minutes and it counts down. I've been alternating 1 ounce cup protein to 1 ounce cup water (plus liquid Tylenol when needed), every 5 minutes, as my Dr. said. I'm curious what system/routine you're on? It seems to vary so much by individual!

I feel ya on the not wanting others to suffer, but it's nice to not be alone in the struggle. I feel fortunate that our dates were right next to each other and am grateful for your support and input. I very much look forward to that future date of feeling Good about the progress! :)

Oh! I told you about the pain pack I had? Well, it's done and I took it out this morning. It was so weird pulling this little tube out of my body, 10-12 inches long. I'll try to add a pic. Fortunately it didn't hurt. :)

And one more thing, lol...how are you doing with your binder? I haven't taken mine off yet, but am contemplating seeing how I do without it now that the big pain fanny pack isn't on it.

Hugs!
Honestly I hadn't remembered my binder the first 3 days and just put it on today and the difference is incredible. KEEP YOUR BINDER ON hahaha.

And as far as a routine goes - girl I SHOULD be on one BUT.....it's basically like I sip on water all day and forget to drink my protein shakes until my stomach burns like the fires of hell hahaha. I really should start being more organized now that I'm more awake and not as ....shocked by the pain.
Glad you are working on a routine that is healthy for you!!!!!!!

I bought the generic versions of Realemon & Realime. No sugar or artificial sweetners, and it might help you to add some to really cold water. Also you could try mint, fresh ginger (soothing to the stomach as well), or cucumber slices.

I was blessed to be a prolific water drinker most of my adult life, so as long as it started out cold, water always went down easily. By the 3rd day post-surgery, I was drinking 4 16oz bottles of water, one sip at a time. I actually had recorded this in my handy dandy notebook, bc I really didn't remember drinking that much that soon after surgery. But there it was: surgery day was on Monday, release from the hospital was Tuesday, and on Wednesday I drank 4 16oz water bottles, #1 starting at 9am, #2 starting at 1:30 pm, #3 around 6pm, and #4 around 11pm.

It really can be done by most people, maybe not quite as early as I did, but getting in water and protein were my most important jobs. Good luck with staying hydrated and healthy! ❤❤

Honestly I hadn't remembered my binder the first 3 days and just put it on today and the difference is incredible. KEEP YOUR BINDER ON hahaha.

And as far as a routine goes - girl I SHOULD be on one BUT.....it's basically like I sip on water all day and forget to drink my protein shakes until my stomach burns like the fires of hell hahaha. I really should start being more organized now that I'm more awake and not as ....shocked by the pain.
Glad you are working on a routine that is healthy for you!!!!!!!

Hah! I'd taken my binder off yesterday for much of the day, but by the end I said f this and now have it back on. I had an apron even before the surgery and with it off was walking around holding my pained tummy...decided to let the binder do it. ;)

Getting in a routine can be tough, especially when you've got 4 kids to care for too! Awesome that you seem to be getting your water in!! :) I tried to have some chicken broth last night and it tasted gross (it's something I usually like). So today I'm doing 3 plant based protein shakes (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and water all in between. Looking forward to calling the surgeon tomorrow morning as I've had runs, gas and crazy rumbling pretty non stop the last couple of days.

You're already down almost 20 pounds?!! That's freaking Awesome!!! Is that pre-op or post-op? Yay You!!! :)

Hey, KeriK, my stomach had a gnawing feeling right after surgery ( even though I was on pantoprazole immediately post-op), and it kind of felt like severe hunger pangs. My surgeon switched me to omeprazole and that took care of it.

Ooh, thanks so much for sharing that, Elidh! My dr had put me on omeprazole after I started having gallbladder issues and the surgeon switched me to pantoprazole post op too, so I wonder if it's the same. I will Definitely be asking about it tomorrow! Thanks again!! :)

You're already down almost 20 pounds?!! That's freaking Awesome!!! Is that pre-op or post-op? Yay You!!! :)
OHHH girl that's the whole shabang - like from when I began my journey at the clinic haha. I at first wasn't going to count it and then I was like.....what the heck! I Should! So yeah - 20 lbs home girl!
I dont know why you are feeling so sick on top of recovering. That sounds miserable. I hope you feel better or get answers soon! Let me know how those plant based shakes taste!

I bought the generic versions of Realemon & Realime. No sugar or artificial sweetners, and it might help you to add some to really cold water. Also you could try mint, fresh ginger (soothing to the stomach as well), or cucumber slices.

I was blessed to be a prolific water drinker most of my adult life, so as long as it started out cold, water always went down easily. By the 3rd day post-surgery, I was drinking 4 16oz bottles of water, one sip at a time. I actually had recorded this in my handy dandy notebook, bc I really didn't remember drinking that much that soon after surgery. But there it was: surgery day was on Monday, release from the hospital was Tuesday, and on Wednesday I drank 4 16oz water bottles, #1 starting at 9am, #2 starting at 1:30 pm, #3 around 6pm, and #4 around 11pm.

It really can be done by most people, maybe not quite as early as I did, but getting in water and protein were my most important jobs. Good luck with staying hydrated and healthy! ❤❤

Hi Karen, I like my water nice and cold too. :) And I'd forgotten the option of adding produce & flavors to kick it up a notch. I used to love doing that...thanks for the reminder! :)

That's Wonderful that you were on top of your drinking so quickly!! Yesterday I made my numbers, finishing 2 32 ounce water bottles, plus a 20g protein drink. I also drank a drink I'd brought home from the hospital. After finishing it I read the label to find out where the protein came from and discovered it had 30 grams of sugar in it!!! :eek: From the Hospital!! Will definitely mention it to my surgeon tomorrow. And even making my liquid numbers under normal circumstances, I'm not sure if it counts for yesterday as I had the runs all day. I'm guessing I need even more than normal and will try to make that happen today. :)

Thank you!!! HUGS!

OHHH girl that's the whole shabang - like from when I began my journey at the clinic haha. I at first wasn't going to count it and then I was like.....what the heck! I Should! So yeah - 20 lbs home girl!
I dont know why you are feeling so sick on top of recovering. That sounds miserable. I hope you feel better or get answers soon! Let me know how those plant based shakes taste!

Good for you!! I wanna get one of those trackers going too, if I can figure it out, lol, and was torn about the same...but it makes sense to do it from the Beginning of this journey! Show the Full extent of all your hard work!!! :D

The Evolve Double Chocolate protein shakes are tasty. :) The only hold up is that they only have 20 grams of protein vs the whey ones which have 30 grams. So, if you can do dairy, I like the Quest and Premier chocolate ones the best and they've got 30. :) Quest Salted Caramel taste like butterscotch pudding of you like that (I DO!) and Premier Rootbeer Floats were my special treat before the surgery (sadly they don't taste as good to me now).

BTW, I love your new profile pic! :)

Good for you!! I wanna get one of those trackers going too, if I can figure it out, lol, and was torn about the same...but it makes sense to do it from the Beginning of this journey! Show the Full extent of all your hard work!!! :D

The Evolve Double Chocolate protein shakes are tasty. :) The only hold up is that they only have 20 grams of protein vs the whey ones which have 30 grams. So, if you can do dairy, I like the Quest and Premier chocolate ones the best and they've got 30. :) Quest Salted Caramel taste like butterscotch pudding of you like that (I DO!) and Premier Rootbeer Floats were my special treat before the surgery (sadly they don't taste as good to me now).

BTW, I love your new profile pic! :)
thanks! My eldest daughter was really upset that she was on the original picture. I was so mad at her about it hahhahahahahaha I was like, so proud we were in matching dresses for the first time in my mom life....owell. This is me from the beach recently.

Back