• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

why don't bariatric centers have a team of social workers to help post surgery

girlnow

that's who i think could help explain the ups and downs and what's going on. we are adjusting to a new lifestyle.
and we have not been told this would happen or been prepared and there is no support. you are on your own. no social workers. the post surgery time is more important than before because we will be post surgery the rest of our lives. and need guidance. i am sick and tired of having to use youtube to get help.

I 100% agree. I wish they would add on more after care. My program does monthly support group. But it tends to be for people very recently post op. That's why I come here. It gives me an accountability that I need and a chance to help others and myself. Because I am constantly reading posts about what I should be doing lol

I also agree with Diane about asking for professionals in the bariatric field. There are lots of therapists that specially in eating disorders, if that's an issue.

Also, doing your own research is actually great. I feel that you truly learn it that way. That's how I knew before surgery that I should expect to lose 50-80% of my excess weight. I also learned that the majority of people gain at least some back, after the first 2 years (which are considered the weight loss window). So, I knew I was going to have to take full advantage of that window and learn some new behaviors.

I know too many people who thought the smaller stomach would do the work. It turned out, the surgery gave me the opportunity to change my life and health. Whether it sticks or not is entirely dependent on my own behaviors and habits. Sometimes I do great and it seems easy. Sometimes I struggle and gain. But I feel better than I have in decades and I AM NOT going back to having all those health issues and needing 6 Aleve just to get thru the day. So, when I gain a few, I start tracking again and go for fresh veg as a side instead of starches.

that's who i think could help explain the ups and downs and what's going on. we are adjusting to a new lifestyle.
and we have not been told this would happen or been prepared and there is no support. you are on your own. no social workers. the post surgery time is more important than before because we will be post surgery the rest of our lives. and need guidance. i am sick and tired of having to use youtube to get help.
I've got a great therapist I see once a month and she helps me keep my feet on the ground.

Back