• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

why it will be hard to get out of your home

I think I may have posted about this before, but I'm going to do it again, in my attempt to perform a public service.

Purell is a scam. I can't believe how completely they've duped our entire healthcare system. Purell is 60 percent alcohol and 40 percent other stuff, including aloe vera gel.

When I last saw my doctor, at the beginning of quarantine, I brought with me a plastic bag full of Clorox wipes and I was wearing latex gloves I put on in the parking lot before I walked in. I passed through the door and was practically blocked by a huge display of Purell and a sign asking patients to use it before they took another step forward. I held up my hands and refused, and later I said to my doctor, "No way am I ever going to "sanitize" my hands at a Purell dispenser when countless other hands have been." We talked about Purell and she confirmed that alcohol isn't effective.

Alcohol is an antiseptic, not anti-bacterial or anti-viral. It's used to clean the surface of the skin before inserting a needle because it does clean the surface for a few seconds. It's momentarily effective to battle "germs," a term that is broadly defined.

Even if a doctor uses Purell, he/she will immediately snap a pair of nitrile or latex gloves on it immediately after. And people who use Purell don't know how to apply it. Experts say to squirt a blob onto your palm, then rub all over and between fingers for 30 seconds. Then let it air-dry. Never use a towel.

But it's only a way to cleanse your hands when you can't find soap and a sink, and even that use is not recommended during the pandemic.

I had a corona virus in 2002 when it was called SARS. A lot of corona viruses exist, They get the designation by looking like a crown, or "corona," including the HIV virus. the first graphic below is HIV and the second is COVID19.

Although the method of transmission is different in HIV (though you could spread COVID by sexual congress) there is no cure or vaccine for COVID19.

You probably already know that.

Antibiotics, including soap, only battle bacteria.

All we can do is avoid contact by staying home, and when absolutely necessary, wear protective gear when going out.

I wish we were protecting our heroes more, and because of my concern for them, I do not support the protesters who think it's been long enough and they should be allowed to get back to business and play. I agree with them on a Constitutional level, but the stay-at-home order is our only defense right now.

And I want to say, regarding medical workers at all levels, in response to certain idiots who think that this is why we have medical workers, that that is bullshit. No one who went to medical school or took a job in a hospital cafeteria or as a housekeeper EVER imagined they'd be facing an international plague. So many of them have died now because they were caring for others, and if only for that reason, we should revere and protect them. If the mobs get loose, the virus will spread and there will not be a capability of medical care because the hospitals are overfilled and the providers died. Sometimes I wish they'd walk off their jobs, simply because I want them to be safe. But I know the best thing now is to do as much as we can to protect them, by not getting sick and not taxing their limits of care.

Rant over. Notice, I wrote this under General Chat and I'm not claiming any expertise. I'm sharing the few things I know, and I wish I knew more. If I could be suited up hermetically, I'd gladly go mop floors, empty bedpans and carry out contaminated waste from hospitals, for free. Shame on me for qualifying that offer with my need for protection.

Until people are correctly informed, this virus is going to pose a real threat to normal life. One thing a lot of people don't know is that combining bleach with ammonia creates chlorine gas, so even if you just for instance peed in your toilet, didn't flush, and then poured some bleach in there to clean it, you would immediately suffer the irritation and stinging eyes and difficulty breathing from chlorine gas. In larger quantities it will kill you. I hate to say this without checking it but I believe this was why the Nazis in Germany were so effective at killing Jews. They used chlorine gas which is cheap and effective.

FYI, bleach is a great cleaner on its own in that it kills everything. But it is not effective as a cure for viruses. It only kills bacteria and lesser germs. Still it's a good thing to use if you go out in public and need to wipe down a shopping cart or a door knob. I use Clorox wipes and I dump a half cup of bleach into the container and Shake It Up before I remove some of the pads and put them in a plastic Ziploc bag to take with me when I go out.

I've been talking about Clorox wipes and telling people they should carry them since before this hit. I purchased 2 TriplePacks from Home Depot 6 months ago and I just always use them I always have them on hand. I put a half cup of bleach down the center of the sheets and then close it and shake it up so it's more bleachy and can disinfect door knobs and railings and any other place you might touch when you're out doing necessary Things. And now you can't even buy it.

I've been talking about Clorox wipes and telling people they should carry them since before this hit. I purchased 2 TriplePacks from Home Depot 6 months ago and I just always use them I always have them on hand. I put a half cup of bleach down the center of the sheets and then close it and shake it up so it's more bleachy and can disinfect door knobs and railings and any other place you might touch when you're out doing necessary Things. And now you can't even buy it.

Yeah, the stores have been out of those for a couple months now. Fortunately my brother in-law works in the restaurant biz and he was able to order me a 700 count roll! That's 20 regular rolls. It was like $50 but worth it to me.

May 17, 2020 - 10:55 AM EDT
HHS secretary points to 'unhealthy comorbidities' when asked about high coronavirus death rate in US

"Unfortunately, the American population is very diverse, and it is a population with significantly unhealthy comorbidities that do make many individuals in our communities - in particular, African American, minority communities - particularly at risk here because of significant underlying ... health disparities and disease comorbidities, and that is an unfortunate legacy in our health care system that we certainly do need to address," Azar said.

Azar specifically pointed to hypertension, obesity and diabetes as comorbidities that make the U.S. "at risk for any type of disease burden."

Asked to clarify his comments, Azar said he's not blaming Americans with health conditions but rather explaining the epidemiology.

"Please don't distort this. This is not about fault. This is about simple epidemiology," he said.

"One doesn't blame an individual for a health condition. That would be absurd," he added. "It's simply a statement that we do have greater risk profiles in the United States. This is why we've all highlighted - the surgeon general, the president - the special disease burden and risk factors in a lot of our communities that we've got to address."

Back