• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Why We Lose Hair

Badgy

So I've been kind of fretting the whole hair loss thing. My mom was BALD, man. I mean by fifty she was nearly Kojak bald.

Anyhoo, I've seen speculation of diminished protein, to anesthesia, and everything in between as to what causes it. But this week it became a topic in the keto group I'm in. I guess people doing keto lost their hair too. That made me curious.

I found this article in my quest for answers. Makes the most sense. There's lots more in the article, but here's the basic point:
"Hair loss after weight loss is usually associated with a condition called Telogen Effluvium. Fluctuation in the Body Mass Index causes physical stress, which signals the hair follicles to move into an inactive stage. Hence, the weight loss must be gradual."

hair loss is all across the board. I lost hardly any. The only thing I noticed was some extra hairs in my comb after I washed my hair. Just looking at my hair, I couldn't tell. Losing big chunks of hair isn't very common. You're likely the only person who'll notice. Mine started at five months out and lasted maybe three months. It all grows back.

Hair loss is actually a potential side effect of any major surgery - but you probably see it more after bariatric surgeries because we're taking in so few calories those first few months.

Back