• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Will I ever enjoy food again?

It has been two years since my surgery and I must say it was a much harder process than I thought! I couldn't eat anything more than one bite for a really long time without throwing up and I still throw up once or twice a week when things just don't sit right. Going to restaurants is always strange bc after a bite or two, I am always afraid that I am going to puke. The element of nausea is always there. The only protein I can eat is raw seafood as in sushi or oysters. Anyone else experience that? After my surgery I got down to 140lbs which for me is bean pole, ribs showing etc. I have since hit menopause and I am 170 lbs now and it seems to have all gained back in my belly and arms. I know if I had more energy, I would loose it again bc I eat very little. It always seems like I go throw phases of discovering something that sits well and then eat that and then it doesn't sit well anymore. I feel like I really miss cooking and being able to eat it, even if it a tiny plate.

Well, you've had a long time to learn about your body since surgery and it's really sad to know you're going through this, and it seems permanent.

This shouldn't be happening, though. I can't even think of a reason why it might, although I did also experience something like this for a few years before I found this group. I'd eat one or two bites of food and feel completely nauseated, and I'd sometimes vomit. I had other symptoms, too, which I wrote about in detail in a post

Ultimately, I had an endoscopy at the hospital where my surgery was performed. They found a broken stitch and a loose staple sticking out of my pouch on the inside. I wouldn't have believed it but of course, they had images. They fixed the damage and I haven't had any trouble since the procedure last July.

Don't assume what's happening to you post-op is supposed to happen. See your doctor, over and over, until it's fixed. Bariatric surgery doesn't mean you have to suffer with nasty symptoms simply because you decided to have something stapled or stitched or removed. You should feel as normal as anyone who HASN'T had the surgery.

See your surgeon. Take anti-nausea meds if you need to. Get completely checked out. You shouldn't be living like this.

Consider going back to your surgeon for an endoscopy, or at least a GI. Doctors don't tell you all the things that might happen and how those things manifest with symptoms because they don't want you to go imagining things. But you should be imagining things because surgery is supposed to make you as normal as everyone else when it comes to eating. The only difference is that you can't eat as much.

It has been two years since my surgery and I must say it was a much harder process than I thought! I couldn't eat anything more than one bite for a really long time without throwing up and I still throw up once or twice a week when things just don't sit right. Going to restaurants is always strange bc after a bite or two, I am always afraid that I am going to puke. The element of nausea is always there. The only protein I can eat is raw seafood as in sushi or oysters. Anyone else experience that? After my surgery I got down to 140lbs which for me is bean pole, ribs showing etc. I have since hit menopause and I am 170 lbs now and it seems to have all gained back in my belly and arms. I know if I had more energy, I would loose it again bc I eat very little. It always seems like I go throw phases of discovering something that sits well and then eat that and then it doesn't sit well anymore. I feel like I really miss cooking and being able to eat it, even if it a tiny plate.
Sorry you have that. What a bummer. Ditto to what Diane said. See your surgeon if you haven't. Good luck.

I saw the surgeon and got an endoscopy. It showed nothing wrong. I then got my gall bladder removed and it made things a little better but not much. Before all that, I took all kinds of meds that were supposed to help with nausea but they didn't help and the side effects were scary. I have since moved from where I had my surgery. Just frustrated!

I'm sure you've considered all this but....
•Are you drinking a beverage before eating?
•Does it matter if it is fried food?
•Are you chewing your food well?
•Do you take your time before taking another bite?

I've been doing this for a year now and always catch myself gulping my beverages and wolfing my food like the pre op days. It makes such a difference to me when I slow down.

Back