• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

WLS Take 2, Sort Of

WazzuCoug

Not take 2 for me, but take 2 for my family. My wife started the pre-op diet yesterday and I'm going through it with her for support. She'll be on the pre-op for just short of 4 weeks with her surgery on the 26th. It's just 10 days past my 2-year surgeriversary date on the 16th.

She is going through the normal pre-surgery anxieties, etc., but since she has witnessed my life over the past two years, I think she's probably feeling more positive about it than she would otherwise.

She's getting the bypass as opposed to my sleeve. I'm going to follow her post-op diet...not so much the liquid diet...but puree on, not that I need to diet and lose any weight, but as a show of support and ease of making meals for the both of us. I'll probably supplement with a little extra food to be sure I'm getting what I need during the puree phase, but for the most part, when we are together we'll be doing the same thing.

She has more concerns about things like hair falling out and loose skin than I did, and of course, she's worried about being an anomaly and not losing much or any weight. At the same time, she is excited about the change that will come, the positive impacts on her quality of life, etc.

The stage is set.

Congrats to your wife! My husband is now 5 months post on sleeve and I am 2 years post bypass. I also did his pre open and post on diet, mostly lol. (I left my soups chunky lol) He said it really helped him stay on track so its good that you'll do it with her.

I think us both having the surgery has improved our lives and our relationship. You make a lot of changes when you have WLS and the non surgery spouse can feel left behind.

I am very happy for you wife and will her rooting for her!

I love to hear stories about couples going through this together. (Even if a few years apart)
While mine is very supportive and eats the same meals as me, I just feel like if she were going through it she would really understand how I feel at times.
I imagine the support system is record high!
Good for her and good for you!

I just cannot imagine going through this without a strong immediate family support system (spouse, partner, etc). I love these couples surgery stories. I guess having my spouse be super supportive throughout my journey is the next best thing. And yeah, he has that "magic switch" that tells him to stop eating before he's completely full. Sure wish he could patent that - we'd be millionaires lol. Anyway, good luck to your wife as she gets closer to her date.

Back