• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Wonderful Long Island support group

RaDazzle

There is a fantastic support group that is open to anyone, no matter what doctor or hospital you had your surgery with or the type of surgery you've had. In fact, it is open to pre-ops, too. It is a non-profit organization, no dues, although donations are accepted.

There are two meetings per month (held from 6:30 pm until 8:30 pm):

- The first monthly meeting is held on the 3rd Tuesday of the month in Suffolk County, at the Sayville Library (downstairs, Rm A/B), 80 Greene Ave., Sayville, NY 11782

- The other meeting is in Nassau County on the 4th Thursday of each month, at the Bethpage Ice Skating Center Community Room 1001 Stewart Avenue, Bethpage, NY (this is a new location - hurricane Sandy damaged the Community Room at John Burns Park in Massapequa where meetings have been held until recently).

In addition to meetings (where there occasionally are speakers), the group tries to have various activities and fundraisers. From mall walking, to special motivational speakers' events (e.g.: Steve Maraboli), to Zumbathons, to an annual Holiday Dinner-Dance, to skydiving, this group keeps us all active! No pressure to go to any extra activities, though. Everyone decides for themselves what they want to do or not do. Lots of support, motivation, and even inspiration!

http://www.liponation.org/index.html

Last edited:
I live in Eastern Long Island and was wondering if there was any support groups more local to me because Sayville is a hike from here :(

I live in Eastern Long Island and was wondering if there was any support groups more local to me because Sayville is a hike from here :(

I don't know what you mean eastern Long Island. I live in Smithtown, NY and I travel out to the support group that meets at the Ramada inn off Exit 63 on the LIE.

Did you check out the website and the info that I posted?

Ralph

I didnt see your post but thanks for the info i will call the Ramada Inn now because i live in Hampton Bays. Didnt u know there are some up island where your from also u dont have come all the way out East u know. There is a support group that is open to anyone, no matter what doctor or hospital you had your surgery with or the type of surgery you've had. In fact, it is open to pre-ops, too. It is a non-profit organization, no dues, although donations are accepted.

- The first monthly meeting is held on the 3rd Tuesday of the month in Suffolk County, at the Sayville Library (downstairs, Rm A/B), 80 Greene Ave., Sayville, NY 11782

I didnt see your post but thanks for the info i will call the Ramada Inn now because i live in Hampton Bays. Didnt u know there are some up island where your from also u dont have come all the way out East u know. There is a support group that is open to anyone, no matter what doctor or hospital you had your surgery with or the type of surgery you've had. In fact, it is open to pre-ops, too. It is a non-profit organization, no dues, although donations are accepted.

Thanks.

I choose to go this one since it is with Dr. Brathwaite's staff and nutritionist. Most who do come to this group are his patients. All are welcome. For me it isn't a long drive. I head down vets highway on to LIE eastbound and before you know it I am there.

Thanks for your thoughts too.

Ralph

Back