• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Worlds WORST with Patience!!!

Ok... so I am starting month 3 of my 6 month diet plan. I have my psych eval in January. I am just the worlds worst at this patience thing!! LOL I find myself not wanting to go out and see people and just hoping and praying the time flies by to have the surgery. My doctor does things a little different. I know he is an awesome doctor because he has performed SEVERAL of these surgeries, including my mom's back in 2002. However, because of his patient load, he has a Bariatric Coordinator (a RN). So she gets all the information together for the insurance and you work along with her to get the surgery approved by the insurance. Once approved, then you see the doctor. I'm just so anxious. I know it can take up to 30 days for the insurance to give their reply, so that makes it like the end of March 2013 before I could even get to see the doctor. Then I have to do whatever he feels necessary. I wish I were rich so I could just pay for the surgery out right and not have to jump through hoops for the insurance company. I guess I needed to rant!! LOL I need not complain, because my insurance is great and WHEN my surgery is approved, my out of pocket expense is only $200. Again... I am the WORLD'S WORST when it comes to patience!! I get discouraged easily and I am fighting to keep my head above water and not give in the the discouragement. I just would like to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Hollie-Venting is good! Hang in there, the time will fly by. Without going back and re-reading your posts I don't remember which tests you've had so far, if any. If you have a lot of them to do you can try to schedule more than one on the same day to cut down on your waiting time. And if the RN coordinator submits everything required on the first try the insurance company will approve your case that much faster :) :) :)

Please keep us posted!!!

My insurance doesn't require any tests. Just that I have the psychiatric evaluation and a 6 month structured diet plan and a BMI of 40 or more with no co-morbidities or a BMI of 35 or greater with co-morbidities. I have a BMI of now... 41 (i've lost a little weight) and I have co-morbidities so its just the 6 month wait now!! Again... i'm not the best patient person!! I just know I have "attempted" to do this surgery in the past, but get discouraged quickly. Something has happened this time that I am refusing to give up. When I find myself getting discouraged, I turn to support!!! I have made it further this time than any other time and I am determined to have the surgery!!! I have got to get healthy so I will be around for my kids (ages 5 and 3).

Hollie, use this time to educate yourself about bypass and talk to as many people as you can about their experience with bypass. I think we all (read--ME) think we know enough about something. I personally have learned so much in the last 6 months about WLS that I wouldn't have if the surgery were rushed. After surgery this will still be a lifelong process, so practice patience!

I did private pay even tho I'm not rich. My insurance does not cover "period". My bariatric center still has at least 3-6 mo w/3 mo of a diet plan including liquid for at least 6 wks. Good discipline. Prepare and enjoy. My post op group is filled with patients complaining about missing their twinkies and junk food. They didn't even chip in $200. So appreciate your opportunity, keep look forward to your new life, and you'll be so prepared!

Thank you Bartman!! I appreciate the uplift!! I know I shouldn't complain and the 6 months is really preparing me for surgery. So far I have been losing an average of 1 pound a week. I know it is good for me and it's my insurance's way of weeding out those who don't take it seriously. I am very lucky at what my insurance covers... I know that!! I know to people like you, if you had this type of opportunity you would be jumping for joy. I need to be brought to reality and realize that good things come to those who WAIT!! Again, Thank you!

Karina... My family thinks I have OVER EDUCATED myself. I must say, this upcoming surgery has really consumed my life and in my spare time (when I get some.. very scarce with little ones) all I do is read stories, watch YouTube videos and research. But I truly feel that you can never be OVER EDUCATED!! LOL I do have a little more insight with watching my mother go through the exact same surgery. She is 10 years out and doing well!!

Ok so to Update you guys.... the wait was well worth it!! I have finally gotten my surgery date. It is April 15th and I am so excited!! I haven't been on this site in a while and I do miss the uplifting stories and can't wait to get acquainted/reacquainted with everyone. Once I got my iPad I pretty much have abandoned my laptop, LOL. Also, as I said in a much earlier post, the surgery had consumed my every thought and I just had to sit back and let life just flow on by and not get so uptight about it all. Time seemed to flow by then! LOL

Back