• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Yes Mexico Again

sherri74

Sorry guys!! I'm desperate!!! I know this topic has been covered before, but what is on here is almost 2 years old for the most part.

Has anyone recently had their surgery done in Mexico? It doesn't look like my insurance is going to cover my operation, so I've been researching Mexico, but there are so many options there. I don't know what the right decision is.

I've been dealing with this for over 6 months and I'm so exhausted already. I just want to have the surgery!!!

I know someone who had the sleeve in Mexico. I’m not in contact with her a lot, but I know that she was really displeased with the lack of information before hand, lack of support after, and she hasn’t lost much. BUT I can say that the person I’m referencing gained 40 pounds for the surgeon to even consider doing the sleeve for her, and that’s what she’s lost post op. I’m not saying that there’s anything wrong with it, but you’ll have to do your due diligence before and after to make sure that you have the best results.

Sorry guys!! I'm desperate!!! I know this topic has been covered before, but what is on here is almost 2 years old for the most part.

Has anyone recently had their surgery done in Mexico? It doesn't look like my insurance is going to cover my operation, so I've been researching Mexico, but there are so many options there. I don't know what the right decision is.

I've been dealing with this for over 6 months and I'm so exhausted already. I just want to have the surgery!!!
Sorry to ask, but why won't your insurance cover? When I had mine 14 years ago, my surgeon offhandedly suggested it in an unrelated exam. He then wrote a letter to my carrier TELLING them I was 100 pounds overweight and therefore he was going to schedule RYGB surgery asap. He didn't wait for approval. He just scheduled it and performed it within two weeks. I didn't even have to do a pre-op diet.

I remember asking him what would happen if it wasn't approved. He told me the burden would be on me, but that it had never been denied after he wrote his letter.

My personal position is that it's unsafe to have surgery in Mexico and then seek post-op management in the US. This is major surgery, not a dental procedure.

There are many posts here that address this issue. Please don't rush into this. You can do extensive research for the next year or more to make certain you're making the right choice.

I had a daughter that the sleeve done in Egypt. It cost $1200 start to finish. She had very little information as far as what she needed to do post-op - NO information about what NOT to do (alcohol-soda-stages of food --liquid, pureed, soft). We got it all figured out and she's lost the weight and kept it off for several years now. Surgery either in the US or outside the US all have risks. Best of luck to you!

There's an obvious advantage of having it locally. Some docs won't do follow up on a surgery they didn't perform. It's a serious risk. I maintain my belief that local is best and going to Mexico carries serious risk unless you have ALL your follow-up there.

If you're been denied locally, get a qualified surgeon to argue your case. Sometimes surgeons just need to cover their ass. Sometimes insurance needs a surgeon's letter to protect them.

Do you by chance have a hiatal hernia? if so that might be one way to get partial coverage. My surgery was done under insurance paying for the hernia and I paid out of pocket for the sleeve to be done at the same time. This was due to an insurance company change in the middle of my process. My original insurance was going to cover the entire procedure, the second insurance said I did not qualify.

Back