• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

you are never too old to change

You are an inspiration, Diane. I hope to be as energetic and dedicated 14 years down the line. We see so many people stop in, saying they've gained in the ensuing years and then leave, as if failure is the only option. You prove everyday that we CAN be successful for many years to come. I personally need that SO badly. I've seen so many people fail. I know that could be me. And then you post your "after" pics from 14 years later and it reminds me that HEY! That can ALSO be me. The choice is 100% up to me.

These kind words are making me happy I joined this group. I was drawn to your forum heading because I feel like I'm slightly older than most going into the surgery. I'm 52 years old, have been riding the roller coaster weight loss and gain since early 20's and finally decided to have surgery. Big change I think. I hope to be as happy and successful as you are. : )

These kind words are making me happy I joined this group. I was drawn to your forum heading because I feel like I'm slightly older than most going into the surgery. I'm 52 years old, have been riding the roller coaster weight loss and gain since early 20's and finally decided to have surgery. Big change I think. I hope to be as happy and successful as you are. : )
Im 55, so 52 isnt old!

I had the surgery at 50. I wasted YEARS thinking that I was too old to bother. It's just an excuse. Even if I only have 1 year left on this earth, I deserve to live it to the best of my ability, without the hindrance of 100 extra pounds and all the health issues that those pounds bring.

My mother is 72 and almost complete immobile right now, due to debilitating arthritis. She has been lucky to not get all the other diseases that can be caused by obesity. But, she's now had 3 doctors suggest WLS, since 1lb of weight lost on your body takes 4lbs of pressure off your knees. They cannot do knee replacement, since she now has edema so severe that the skin of her legs is leaking fluid. I have finally, finally talked her into at least going to the informational seminar that my program has. If she would have listened to the first doctor to suggest it, she would have new knees, and a new lease on life, right now. It is NEVER too late to do something to improve your quality of life. You deserve every bit of health and happiness that life can bring, regardless of how old you are or how much life you have left.

Back