• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

YUMM

Kcuster83

Guys, I finally went out last night and tried my favorite Mexican restaurant.
Now, mind you. Before surgery I would smash some chips and guacamole and sometimes chorizo cheese dip. Plus eat most if not all of my meal. And, we probably went AT LEAST once a week. (We love Mexican food)

I ate 3 chips and about 2 tablespoons of guacamole. Then my wife and I shared a meal, it was 3 tacos with grilled chicken, peppers and onions. I ate the filling of 1 taco and she ate the other 2. It included a side of black beans and rice. I also ate about 1 tablespoon of black beans!

I ate all the food groups. haha

I didn't over eat, I was comfortable and I handled my first restaurant experience quite well.
I was/am proud of myself!

Now, mind you. Before surgery I would smash some chips and guacamole and sometimes chorizo cheese dip. Plus eat most if not all of my meal. And, we probably went AT LEAST once a week. (We love Mexican food)

I ate 3 chips and about 2 tablespoons of guacamole. Then my wife and I shared a meal, it was 3 tacos with grilled chicken, peppers and onions. I ate the filling of 1 taco and she ate the other 2. It included a side of black beans and rice. I also ate about 1 tablespoon of black beans!

I didn't over eat, I was comfortable and I handled my first restaurant experience quite well.
That sounds great! Good job!

How exciting! We also love Mexican food and I cannot wait to visit my favorite restaurant after six weeks. Just curious, why didn’t you eat the taco shell? Was it crunchy style or soft? I did my research and corn tortillas are super low carb and low fat (opposite of flour tortillas) which is why I plan on ordering a chicken enchilada.

P.S. Have you tried rice yet? I’ve heard such negative reactions, but what if it’s mixed with something like in a stir fry? Just wondering.

Proud of you for making such healthy choices. I love black beans, and eating the taco fillings are so "filling" and satisfying, aren't they? Could you ever have pictured eating this way prior to WLS? Thank you for sharing your great NSV!!!

Lately I've been on a salsa and guac kick - Wal-Mart sells fresh salsa & delicious store brand guac in their produce section. I eat these with baby carrots, or their raw broc, cauli, and carrot blend, skipping the tortilla chips. I avoid carb filled tortillas and rice, but I have found cheese tortillas in their cheese section. Yummy!

How exciting! We also love Mexican food and I cannot wait to visit my favorite restaurant after six weeks. Just curious, why didn’t you eat the taco shell? Was it crunchy style or soft? I did my research and corn tortillas are super low carb and low fat (opposite of flour tortillas) which is why I plan on ordering a chicken enchilada.

P.S. Have you tried rice yet? I’ve heard such negative reactions, but what if it’s mixed with something like in a stir fry? Just wondering.
I am allowed carbs, my nutritionist has us on a very balanced diet. We actually ordered corn tortilla tacos, but we never had corn before. I did not like it so I didn't bother eating it. I took a little bite and just ate the filling, plus I still fill up very fast so I couldn't have eaten the whole tortilla anyway.

I have not tried rice yet. I am allowed, I just haven't. I am working on trying my normal foods first to see how I do. I never ate a ton of rice so I am not in a rush to incorporate that back into my diet. I will eventually though.

The main thing, is I still just can't eat enough to worry about the carbs. Even without trying to stay low carb I am only getting about 20/30 carbs a day.

Proud of you for making such healthy choices. I love black beans, and eating the taco fillings are so "filling" and satisfying, aren't they? Could you ever have pictured eating this way prior to WLS? Thank you for sharing your great NSV!!!

Lately I've been on a salsa and guac kick - Wal-Mart sells fresh salsa & delicious store brand guac in their produce section. I eat these with baby carrots, or their raw broc, cauli, and carrot blend, skipping the tortilla chips. I avoid carb filled tortillas and rice, but I have found cheese tortillas in their cheese section. Yummy!
Thank you!
It is definitely a change for sure, but for me so far it has been easy and I haven't been hungry or having any cravings. I do love tacos, even during my pureed stage I had ground taco meat and either black beans or refried beans! YUM YUM

I also get the mini walmart guacamole cups and have those once in a while. I prefer fresh avacado or my own homemade guacamole though. The premade store bought it a little too salty for me. I still keep it on hand for when I am in a pinch or can't find ripe avocados.

I have had the cheese wraps too, they are good. I put a few turkey pepperonis on top of half of one and melt it for a few seconds let it start to cool and the roll it up like a crust-less pepperoni roll and dip it in sauce. Its YUM for a great quick snack.

Thank you!
It is definitely a change for sure, but for me so far it has been easy and I haven't been hungry or having any cravings. I do love tacos, even during my pureed stage I had ground taco meat and either black beans or refried beans! YUM YUM

I also get the mini walmart guacamole cups and have those once in a while. I prefer fresh avacado or my own homemade guacamole though. The premade store bought it a little too salty for me. I still keep it on hand for when I am in a pinch or can't find ripe avocados.

I have had the cheese wraps too, they are good. I put a few turkey pepperonis on top of half of one and melt it for a few seconds let it start to cool and the roll it up like a crust-less pepperoni roll and dip it in sauce. Its YUM for a great quick snack.
Thank you for the pepperoni rolls idea. Yummy, I can't wait to try your suggestion. That sounds perfectly wonderful.

Back