• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Newbie looking for support group

Hi guys, I’m new here. My name is Shonna. I just had the sleeve surgery in San Antonio Texas. I live in Fort Worth just looking for some support actually looking for a support group. I don’t know if that’s a thing or not. I just thought it would be nice to meet people that are going through what I’m going through Was September 18, 2024

welcome, Shonna. I used to live in Fort Worth! I was on a crew that contracted with utility companies and traveled all around the state. It was just a temporary thing..

You might check with your clinic or hospital to see if there's a live support group attached to the follow-up care. This online group has been a lifesaver for me, although lately we've been attacked by Turkish spammers and the group is pretty quiet. But it doesn't have to be that way. People just need to block the spammers and then start posting.

How are you feeling? Are you getting enough water? There are many nutritional stories here that may be helpful.

I had an open procedure (RYGB) in 2008 so I'm a long way out from surgery, and techniques have changed a lot. But the recovery and rebuild of your digestive system is still very similar.

We'd love to hear your stories and questions. And again, welcome to the group.

Congrats on your surgery and your first two weeks post-op! How are you feeling energy wise? I'm excited to hear about starting the bariatric vitamins this week helps how you feel?

My surgery is in 4 days. So I'll be just short of 3 weeks behind you in this process.

I am 8 days post-op and finally starting to get my energy back. The liquid diet (plus Greek yogurt) doesn't give you a lot of energy.

I have found that Gas-x and Colace have been incredibly useful. Most of my pain has been gas pain or pressure.

I also found, instead of plain broth, a jar of flavoring called Better than Bouillon. It has 2 decent flavors that aren't as boring as plain broth. I also found sugar-free popsicles are a nice change of pace every couple of days.

Be kind to yourself and don't overdo it. I got ambitious last week and took 2 1-mile walks and paid for it the next day with absolutely no energy. Now, on day 8, I feel like I have a good feeling of how much my pouch can handle at one time without causing pain or pressure.

One thing that surprised me is that my taste buds have completely changed. I used to love Strawberry Crystal Light. Now it is sickening sweet. So I am drinking just straight water.

If anyone is interested in setting up a support group together, I can create a Facebook group and I have a Professional Zoom account and can host online meetings too.

Back