• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

1 month post op

GCooper

It has been 4 weeks since my Gastric Bypass. I've lost 31.50 pounds since beginning liquids on August 19. My weight loss has slowed down this passed week to a crawl. I'm walking everyday and have really just done awesome at recovering. My downfalls are, not getting in enough protein, still, and not getting in enough fluids still........ Its just an ongoing issue for me. I'm trying and I have to stay focused on this as I feel this is why my weightloss has stopped. Calorie intake is very small as well. I've heard this will cause you to put your body in starvation mode and will not lose weight. I'm working with my nutristionist to get in what I need. Its crazy that you go from one extreme to the other, and its impedes your weight loss as well. Crazy!!! I'm dedicated to staying on track and will be grateful for the day I reach my goal. Its the hardest thing I've ever done, and I can say its probably not for everyone. The emotional part of this journey has been the worse for me. I cry sometimes when I want food, and I feel left out at family functions, and cry. Its gotton better, but it is the worse part of it for me. Surgery was a breeze, healing a breeze, motivation a breeze, emotionally its been very very hard. I thank God everyday for this forum and the great people I've met on here. I cant do this without all of you.

Hang in there and congrats on your weight loss. I had my surgery 2 years ago and it was a roller coaster ride also. Finally my Surgeon told me, If you don't eat your protein in the a.m. first thing then you can only have around 500 calories a day. If you have your protein then you can have 1000 calories a day. I also had to increase my water intake and when I did this. The weight started steadily coming back off again. I've hit many plateaus in the last 2 years and we just have to work through them on a daily basis and one step at a time, even if we go back to baby steps! Good Luck to you and Many Blessings!!

GCooper, Welcome and Congratulations on what you've done so far!

Remember . . . you can only start from where you are. You cannot start from where you were. Nor can you start from where you wish to be. What you have, is where you are. Start there.

Food is such a social thing. It's only natural you might feel left out at family functions. Take the food you can have with you. Make popsicles of your protein shakes. Add a drop or two of food coloring to make them bright pink, or blue, or purple. Now, you have something special to eat that nobody else has!

As to your current struggles with water and protein shakes, try drinking them from a 2oz container; just 1/4 cup. Keep a sheet of paper and a pen nearby so you can keep track of how many of them you drink. You aren't likely to be intimidated by a 2oz container. Small and cute, they are!

At 4 weeks out, you can have Jello and probably applesauce. Try mixing the protein powder in 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce and eating it that way. If it helps, add a drop of food coloring to that to make it pretty, too! Or mix up a batch of sugar-free Jello, add enough protein powder to give you the proper amount per 1/2 cup serving, and chill. Bonus: the Jello counts toward your fluid intake.

I hope you find something here helpful. Keep checking in. You're in a friendly and supportive place. I'm glad you found your way here!

Hi GC, a pound a day, that's wonderfull, keep up the good work. We all have plateaus, early on it is usually because our bodies are trying to catch up with what we are doing, we are also putting on lean muscle that replaces the fat we have lost so it appears on a scale that our weight loss has slowed but through measurments and cloths size you will see that you are still losing inches. The emotional rollercoaster will slow down and eventually you will be able to get off that ride, but with so much change that goes on with us and a whole lifestyle change it comes as part of our journey, so hang in there it gets better. :cool: Tom

Back