• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

1 week out and so thirsty

jpcnews3

I am one week post op and was so thirsty for water yesterday that I just drank water all day. My instructions were to sip protein drinks between liquid meals at 2-3 ounces per hour. Does water need to be consumed that slowly, as well?

I am one week post op and was so thirsty for water yesterday that I just drank water all day. My instructions were to sip protein drinks between liquid meals at 2-3 ounces per hour. Does water need to be consumed that slowly, as well?

I was told that the reason for sipping any liquid is so you don't stretch out your new tiny tummy. For the first 3 weeks you need to be especially careful so you don't rip loose any staples and have your stomach contents leak out into your body and become septic which can become life threatening. You do want to drink, drink, drink to stay hydrated.. just not too fast or not to swallow too much at a time. I was told to sip water every 5 minutes in the beginning.

Good luck with your weight loss!

Cheyenne :cool:

I still have to sip water almost a year out.

Not just water, any liquids.

So do your best to consume as much liquids as you can. It isn't just water that counts. All liquids count.

Sip sip and sip

Ralph

Keep in mind any liquid protein will make you thirstier as well.

Yes it is also normal to feel this thirsty less than 3 weeks post surgery. Keep in mind the surgeon and hospital loaded you up on IV liquids so you had a head start on getting your liquids in...

If you are feeling thirsty... Try adding a power ade zero to your liquid intake. That helps me a whole bunch.

Keep 2 glasses of liquid by you for the time being one being a glass with your protein and a glass with your water / crystal light / power ade zero / liquid of choice. Ass soon as you have a few sips of protein try to follow up in a few minutes when you can with your other liquid.

Back