• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

10 Years Out and Still Craving.

wow 10 years, thats great!! I will be coming up on my 6th anniversary in June and I too still have issue with controlling the emotional eating. The smallest I ever got was 140lbs but because of poor nutrition and stress I didn't look healthy at all so I had to gain a little weight so that I could be me. I never would have imagines when I was 335lbs that one day I'd have to gain some weight. Its weird after all these years I still feel like the biggest person in the room! I knew there would be obstacles throughout this whole journey but I thought they would mostly be on an emotional level and for an emotional eater its not good. I have to make a conscience effort to eat because sometime I am just not hungry. Does this happen to you?

Hi Marlo!

Welcome to the best bariatric site EVER!

Remodeling my stomach didn't remodel my brain as well (too bad!) I DO forget to eat from time to time, but the worst problem is when I run low on protein -- I get very grumpy, according to my husband. He'll ask me "Are you hungry grumpy or are you just being a bitch?" Sometimes I actually have to think how long it's been since I've eaten. It's like I'm in protein withdrawal! I'll eat a little protein (string cheese, beef jerky, etc.) and within 5 minutes I'm fine. I can feel it filling me like a drug. I'm pretty careful about "refueling" every 3 hours or so.

I must say, I love it when someone offers me more food or even insists I have some more! I get such a charge out of it -- so many of my current "circle" never knew me when I was at 450 lbs, and I don't talk about it unless I'm asked.

I'm just glad I'm here to make this journey. Without the surgery I believe I wouldn't have made it to 2003. I'm glad you're here too! We help each other because we're the ones who know what it's like. Hope to talk to you again.

~ Mary

Back