• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

2 wks out and no change yet

Dreams

So I'm two weeks out from my 7/31/13 surgery and I'm stuck at 195 lbs. Not sure what the deal is there. yep, I'm doing everything I'm suppose to be doing and my body is like 'nope, not gonna budge off 195". Frustrated is where I'm at tonight. Sigh.

hope everyone has a good weekend though. I'm getting stronger and am now sleeping on my stomach which is huge for me. :) My family is eating pizza tonight. I'm having protein shake but I don't mind saying...I WANNA SCREAM!!!!

Don't forget you have a lot going on with your healing body! I wouldn't worry about the weight yet. Just keep truckin.... I am 2 days out. And still in pain, and trying to get my protein down. the protein is the hardest for me so far. Everything else goes down fine

You have your whole life in front of you. Whats your hurry? Letting yourself get frustrated is a path to nowhere. Put your scale away for the time being.

Don't focus on what you can't have but, be grateful for what you can have. Work on finding those thing that you enjoy other than food, family, music, art, conversation, pets, church, friends, etc. find that place of zen you can find peace when thing get difficult. We are here to listen to you and lend support.

Make haste slowly and lose the scale.

What defines you as a person is not your troubles but how you face those troubles.

Don't forget you have a lot going on with your healing body! I wouldn't worry about the weight yet. Just keep truckin.... I am 2 days out. And still in pain, and trying to get my protein down. the protein is the hardest for me so far. Everything else goes down fine

Fantastic for you!!! I hope by now you are getting stronger and feeling better. The getting the protein and water in part is hard for me too. I look forward to your healing journey. Take gentle care of yourself.
Dreams

You have your whole life in front of you. Whats your hurry? Letting yourself get frustrated is a path to nowhere. Put your scale away for the time being.

Don't focus on what you can't have but, be grateful for what you can have. Work on finding those thing that you enjoy other than food, family, music, art, conversation, pets, church, friends, etc. find that place of zen you can find peace when thing get difficult. We are here to listen to you and lend support.

Make haste slowly and lose the scale.

What defines you as a person is not your troubles but how you face those troubles.

Thanks for your reply. Was only voicing a random frustration as I'm aware that is generally a part of any healing. At least that has been my personal experience both as a patient and a nurse. Thanks again.

Dreams

same here

Had my surgery on the 16th...dropped a quick 25-30 lbs. Now I'm on the same number for the past 2 days. I'm not worried. Consuming 800 or less calories per day will eventually show on the scale. My whole life, I've had a history of losing in chunks...not sure of the scientific reason. Another thing to look forward to is exercising in 3-4 weeks. I'm sure I'll see better results then.

Good luck on your journey....it's very exciting

MikeInFlorida, Have you ever read the book about a setpoint? It came out years ago, can't remember the name of the book (I'm really a lot of help :) ) but basically it says that your body has a "Setpoint" that it will reach in your weight loss and stay around it for a while. You might bounce around above or below your setpoint for a while, but until that setpoint moves, your weight loss will be stalled. It made a lot of sense to me at the time. This book was not about bariatric surgery, but dieting in general.

Is it possible to have a set point2weeks out of sugury, i did really good untill 4 days ago, dont get me wrong im not worried justcourious:):):)

I too have read a book about setpoint. And like Karenina I cannot recall the title of the book but I'm certain Google could lend a hand in that area. I am less frustrated at this point. Even now at three weeks out I've maintained the same weight BUT I feel better overall. I know I've lost inches but only because of how my clothes fit. I feel stronger the last two days especially so that is a huge thing to me. I know everyday will be better than the one before. One step at a time. Hoping you find the book Mike. Or at least google for explanation of setpoint.

Dreams

Is it possible to have a set point2weeks out of sugury, i did really good untill 4 days ago, dont get me wrong im not worried justcourious:):):)

Sure, I think so. Think of your whole system like a difficult change you are trying to absorb. At first your mind says "no!", then a week or so later the idea bounces around and settles around "ahhh, maybe.." until it reaches the balance of "OK, I can do this". I also think of that game where you drop a round object into a funnel-type mechanism where it goes round and round until it finally goes into the hole. Your body is taking a breather as it's trying to find balance again.
BTW, the book is called The Setpoint Diet by Dr. Gilbert Leveille.

Thanks to all that posted. Very well spoken material! I had a set point that i was thinking my weightloss was done or not much more. I am 10 months out and wouldn't take it back for the world! about to hit 100 pounds gone! yay from the cheering section! lol. I was crazy one the other morning to see 5lbs at once. Which would previously take two months which does happen once you get closer to goal. You just get to the point you understand your chillin at the point you are and your ok with it.
So hang in there and take care! Michele

Back