• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

20 things about you

Me, in 20 facts about myself nutshell:
  1. I really am funny, when I’m happy.
  2. I’ve taken care of everyone better than myself
  3. Love to laugh
  4. Proud that I raised 3 awesome (now grown!) kids by myself
  5. Proud of my kids-and love that they all chose to live nearby
  6. Love to travel!
  7. I truly hate all bugs
  8. I’m excited but nervous for my bypass surgery!
  9. I had the best parents
  10. I’m adopted
  11. I miss my parents
  12. I wish I didn’t love to shop
  13. I love to shop
  14. I love music
  15. I have a deep faith but full of questions
  16. Love to exercise.
  17. Hate to exercise.
  18. Ready to wear different, smaller clothes
  19. I want a fun, healthy, family-filled future
  20. I want to be myself and be appreciated, loved and supported for it.

I bet a lot of us have #2 in common. What is your favorite thing to shop for? I buy too much for my kids! I need to have a giant garage sale!

I bet a lot of us have #2 in common. What is your favorite thing to shop for? I buy too much for my kids! I need to have a giant garage sale!
Hi ttyson! I love to shop for my daycare kids- which are loved like grandkids by me! (As of yet, my children do not have kids.) But I also love to browse through household decor items- love to change design and themes! And I can’t pass up a deal!

Hi Ann
I see my phych and nutritionist on July 3rd. My surgeon on 7-17. I need a stress test that is sched on 7-30. Hopefully not too long after that. I will let you know how it goes! Lots of good stuff on this site.
Well keep me posted! I’m hoping you and I are on a similar track with timeline for surgery. It’d be encouraging and comforting to take this journey and share thoughts!

4/2/19- I have lost 31 pounds since surgery, 55 total since 8/2019. It is going slow, but it’s going. Their goal for me is 155, my goal is 175, I won’t start celebrating until I am under 200. I am at 225 right now.
Celebrate every day! Every day you’re closer to your goal! What are you able to eat? Not eat? I have read so many things regarding expected weight loss that I’m overwhelmed. “It’s different for everybody”is always the answer but of course it’s true.
I live in IL, and it’s well past my bedtime- so signing off, for now;) look forward to hearing back from you.

Celebrate every day! Every day you’re closer to your goal! What are you able to eat? Not eat? I have read so many things regarding expected weight loss that I’m overwhelmed. “It’s different for everybody”is always the answer but of course it’s true.
I live in IL, and it’s well past my bedtime- so signing off, for now;) look forward to hearing back from you.
I haven’t had many problems with food. I have trouble with dry or tough meat. As long as I take small bites and chew well, almost everything else has been fine.

1. Have a great sense of humor
  2. Eldest child of three to young, struggling parents
  3. The universe blessed me with my sister (best friend). I’m extremely close to my nieces as well
  4. Grew up too soon around unhappiness, rage and unpredictability
  5. Love to organize & plan but on the flip side, I’m stubborn as hell & hate not being in control
  6. Have struggled with anxiety for as long as I can remember
  7. Got excellent grades in school but never considered college because of anxiety
  8. Perpetually single, never even brought a date to a family function
  9. Have 32 first cousins
  10. Parents divorced and both remarried in my 20s
  11. Have beautiful eyes and smile
  12. I never consciously made the choice not to have children. Just wasn’t in the cards I guess
  13. Work hard to stay positive, can easily fall into dark moods if I don’t fight against them
  14. Best compliment I ever received was being told that I light up a room
  15. For over a decade, I drank rum straight up, could polish off a standard size (750 ml) bottle a night. Been sober 3 years, 1 month and 2 days
  16. HATE bras!
  17. LOVE to sleep in
  18. Seriously clumsy
  19. Not outdoorsy at all
  20. I'm 44 years old but plan to continue telling people that I’m 37 for as long as I can get away with it

1. Have a great sense of humor
  2. Eldest child of three to young, struggling parents
  3. The universe blessed me with my sister (best friend). I’m extremely close to my nieces as well
  4. Grew up too soon around unhappiness, rage and unpredictability
  5. Love to organize & plan but on the flip side, I’m stubborn as hell & hate not being in control
  6. Have struggled with anxiety for as long as I can remember
  7. Got excellent grades in school but never considered college because of anxiety
  8. Perpetually single, never even brought a date to a family function
  9. Have 32 first cousins
  10. Parents divorced and both remarried in my 20s
  11. Have beautiful eyes and smile
  12. I never consciously made the choice not to have children. Just wasn’t in the cards I guess
  13. Work hard to stay positive, can easily fall into dark moods if I don’t fight against them
  14. Best compliment I ever received was being told that I light up a room
  15. For over a decade, I drank rum straight up, could polish off a standard size (750 ml) bottle a night. Been sober 3 years, 1 month and 2 days
  16. HATE bras!
  17. LOVE to sleep in
  18. Seriously clumsy
  19. Not outdoorsy at all
  20. I'm 44 years old but plan to continue telling people that I’m 37 for as long as I can get away with it
Brenda- Had you beat...I was up to a liter of scotch per night. I stopped that 6/2/82. (First time I lost 80 pounds.) Later picked up a love of carbs.

1. I'm married to my high school sweetheart for 26 years.
  2. I have two boys, one just graduated college and the other will be a senior in college this fall.
  3. In 1999 my husband lost his job and he got a job offer in Yemen. We moved there with a 2 and 4 year old and lived there for two years.
  4. Before I had kids, I was an X-ray technologist and mammographer.
  5. My best friend and I started a medical billing business in 2015 with no clue what we were doing. We have struggled but finally got a client and we a doing pretty well. Definitely not getting rich though. LOL
  6. I am the fourth of five kids.
  7. Lost my dad in 2009 and my mother to breast CA in 2011.
  8. My husband (oilfield) lost his job again in 2015. He was unemployed for six months and I was not making money at that time.
We had to sell our home and move into an apartment. He finally got a job but makes only about 60% of what he made previously. Luckily I started making some money not too long after that because we cannot survive without my income.
Believe me, I am so grateful everyday for the job that he has.
  1. I live by myself during the week as my husbands job is out of town. I hate it!!
  2. I have a strong faith in God.
  3. I hate to cook but I love to bake cookies ( could be why I am fat).
  4. I would rather eat junk food than real food.
  5. I am terrified that I will not be successful long term with my weight loss.
  6. I love margaritas and I am going to miss them very much. I stopped drinking them two months ago so I can get used to not having my Friday afternoon margarita. I just drink one because I get drunk very easily.
  7. I am from Texas but I have lived in Louisiana for 20 years. I love it here but would not be sad to move back to Houston to be closer to my family.
  8. I love to read but don't seem to have much time for it any more.
  9. I think that I am funny. Not sure if everyone else does.
  10. I have gone back and forth with wanting bypass for more than 10 years but this is the first time I actually went to see a doctor about it.
  11. I am very uncoordinated.
  12. I had two schnauzers and they died within 6 months of each other and I sure do miss them. They were the sweetest dogs.

Wow. I did not think I could think of 20 things to say about myself.

1. I live in a coastal town in California, about an hour north of Santa Barbara.
  2. I work at a software company. I supervise a team of 11 people in customer service.
  3. Married almost 13 years, no kids, 3 cats.
  4. Mom & Dad and Sister & Family live within 15 miles of me.
  5. I have 2 nephews.
  6. I love making people happy.
  7. I love to laugh and have fun.
  8. My hobby is glass art. I make glass sculptures and gifts. @payne_inthe_glass on Instagram if you want to see my work. :)
  9. I love Weird Al. Met him twice. Seen him 9 times in concert. My 10th time will be in August.
  10. I love movies. Action, Cartoon, Horror, Suspense... BRING IT! :)
  11. I'm a huge fan of rock music. My favorite cover band is SPANDEX NATION! They play regularly in Las Vegas.
  12. I LOVE animals.
  13. I had a crush on Kevin Costner when I was a teenager. I still have a crush on him now. HAHA!
  14. I was a drug addict for 3 years (20 years ago). Meth was the drug of choice then. I was arrested twice. Never spent time in jail.
  15. I used to ride motorcycles with my family. I sold my bike to start my glass hobby.
  16. I'm a gamer. Currently awaiting the release of Borderlands 3... Can't Wait!!
  17. I love to travel.
  18. I come from Italian heritage. Sicily mostly.
  19. I grew up in California. I'm no stranger to earthquakes.
  20. I have 4 tattoos. Currently planning my 5th.

Brenda- Had you beat...I was up to a liter of scotch per night. I stopped that 6/2/82. (First time I lost 80 pounds.) Later picked up a love of carbs.

Congratulations on your long-term sobriety Tex, what an achievement! :) I know what you mean about carbs after giving it up. I developed an uncontrollable sweet-tooth after. For the first year after, I binged on baked goods, ice cream and candy in complete excess. Cross-addiction anyone? :eek:

1. Left handed
  2. Gemini
  3. Mother of 2 daughters
  4. Christian
  5. Suffer with fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, depression, anxiety, panic attacks, slipped discs, arthritis, is
  6. Was in ROTC, almost joined the army
  7. Photograph abandoned & historic homes
  8. I make amazing soy candles
  9. I'm 6 ft tall
  10. First generation born in the US, parents from Czechoslovakia & Turkey
  11. Played the violin
  12. Love karaoke
  13. Favorite color is green
  14. I married my best friend
  15. 286 lbs pre surgery
  16. I love music
  17. I love painting
  18. I have amazing friends
  19. My 3 sisters are my best friends
  20. I'm very optimistic

Me in 20......
  1. I am 45
  2. Married for 27 years to a wonderful man that loves me how I am, and puts up with my craziness.
  3. I've been an LPN for 19 years.
  4. We adopted our 3 kids 7 years ago (2 boys and a girl that are siblings - 14, 12, 11y/o).
  5. My middle son is bipolar & has Reactive Attachment Disorder.
  6. I take care of my 94 y/o grandfather (It's like having a teenager that can legally drink & drive - not at the same time).
  7. My step-dad died in January. My mom has been living with us since his death.
  8. My mom is BSC - Bat $hit Crazy! Very controlling, angry, borderline personality disorder, loves her pills and wine.
  9. I suffer from depression, anxiety, and secondary trauma (my kids have put me through hell due to the trauma they experienced from their birth parents - After lots of therapy we are finally stable).
  10. I was put on my first diet in kindergarten.
  11. My parents are divorced and both remarried.
  12. My biological dad is nuts. He was a drug dealer for most of my life. He's a foul mouthed narcissist.
  13. I'm an emotional eater. Food is my drug of choice. I don't drink, or do drugs. I quit smoking 11 years ago.
  14. I'm ready to take control back.
  15. My mother doesn't like it!!! LOL!!!
  16. I'm excited about breaking out of this fat prison.
  17. I'm ready to live again!!!! I'm tired of using my weight as an excuse to not face the world.
  18. I'm a very empathetic person.
  19. I am a positive, kind, caring, patient person.
  20. I'm going to kick A$$!!! I don't care what others think anymore. I'm not living for them. I am living for me! It's my turn. :0)

Me in 20......
  1. I'm excited about breaking out of this fat prison.
  2. I'm ready to live again!!!! I'm tired of using my weight as an excuse to not face the world.
  3. I'm a very empathetic person.
  4. I am a positive, kind, caring, patient person.
  5. I'm going to kick A$$!!! I don't care what others think anymore. I'm not living for them. I am living for me! It's my turn. :0)

Sorry! I got on a roll & unloaded!
  1. I love to cook.
  2. I love the paranormal. I find it fascinating!
  3. I love to read historical romances (I never have time to anymore, though).

1. I'm married to my high school sweetheart for 26 years.
  2. I have two boys, one just graduated college and the other will be a senior in college this fall.
  3. In 1999 my husband lost his job and he got a job offer in Yemen. We moved there with a 2 and 4 year old and lived there for two years.
  4. Before I had kids, I was an X-ray technologist and mammographer.
  5. My best friend and I started a medical billing business in 2015 with no clue what we were doing. We have struggled but finally got a client and we a doing pretty well. Definitely not getting rich though. LOL
  6. I am the fourth of five kids.
  7. Lost my dad in 2009 and my mother to breast CA in 2011.
  8. My husband (oilfield) lost his job again in 2015. He was unemployed for six months and I was not making money at that time.
We had to sell our home and move into an apartment. He finally got a job but makes only about 60% of what he made previously. Luckily I started making some money not too long after that because we cannot survive without my income.
Believe me, I am so grateful everyday for the job that he has.
  1. I live by myself during the week as my husbands job is out of town. I hate it!!
  2. I have a strong faith in God.
  3. I hate to cook but I love to bake cookies ( could be why I am fat).
  4. I would rather eat junk food than real food.
  5. I am terrified that I will not be successful long term with my weight loss.
  6. I love margaritas and I am going to miss them very much. I stopped drinking them two months ago so I can get used to not having my Friday afternoon margarita. I just drink one because I get drunk very easily.
  7. I am from Texas but I have lived in Louisiana for 20 years. I love it here but would not be sad to move back to Houston to be closer to my family.
  8. I love to read but don't seem to have much time for it any more.
  9. I think that I am funny. Not sure if everyone else does.
  10. I have gone back and forth with wanting bypass for more than 10 years but this is the first time I actually went to see a doctor about it.
  11. I am very uncoordinated.
  12. I had two schnauzers and they died within 6 months of each other and I sure do miss them. They were the sweetest dogs.
Wow. I did not think I could think of 20 things to say about myself.
Hey honeysgirl! I had forgotten fro when I first read this thread, but I realize you live in LA? We, my grown kids & my fiancée & his grown kids, are planning a trip to NewOrleans during Halloween week. (My kids and I have always loved Halloween and decorating for it; we also are excited for the late night tours, though my fiancée is only going to golf). I hope you weren’t too negatively impacted by the latest Tropical Storm/Hurricane! Just wondering what the standard weather is like late Oct?

Back