• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

2nd post op appt tomorrow

renie

tomorrow i get my drain out , and next week the 40 staples .. 3 weeks seens like a long time to keep staples in ..has anyone else had staples in that long ?

Had my surgery on the 17th. It wasn't an open Gastric bypass-mine was done lap via Davinci. I was discharged Friday and my JP Drain was taken out then as well. I have no staples. My 4 areas of entrance have a special clear thing on them The only stitiches are at my belly button area another area he went in to.

Carol

had my surgery the 14th, lapro gastric bypass. Had my drain out the Friday after. No staples. I have 5 entry sites and the drain site. No stitches only steri strips and super glue. All seem to be healing fine. I just have a lot of trouble with moving gas and getting all of my liquids. They want me to get in 3 meals a day, 1 protein shake and 64 oz of water. How? There is no room. I manage all except about 30 oz of water. But I do eat popsickles as well. Any suggestions as to how I can get the rest in on a full liquid diet?

I am not getting in the proteins or fluids like I should. IF I have two popsicles and half a bottle of water with Crystal Light that is my fluids because I get full. I cannot drink the protein drinks, get very nauseated from them. I ate a deviled egg today and mashed 1/2 banana for breakfast and feel so full.............. Not sure how dehydrated I am but...... Will try some Cottage Cheese and maybe a slice of low fat turkey cold cut for lunch. Scrambled or pan fried egg does not digest well so NO. I am in the Stage 3 of mashed/pureed foods. AND NOT losing much weight, last two days appears I gained a pound. NOt sure how that is but.... Am walking around the block which is about all I can muster right now. I think I am on survival so not losing.
I had no staples on outside, just superglue with steristrips, drain came out the day i was discharged.

Yep, I find it hard to get the total amount of fluids that one is supposed to get in. I found that the SF Carnation Instant breakfast-chocolate does not do good things to my tummy and it cleans me out-so chocolate anything is out of the question.
They say you're supposed to try for 5 oz per hour. The only times I am not sipping is when I am sleeping and then when I wake up to go to the bathroom I take some sips before going back to bed.
I manage with Isopure Zero Carb Protein drink RTD Clear liquid. That helps me get the protein in. Just takes a while to get it in. I also have my skim milk.
It definitely takes some work to get it all in and then if my stomach feels full I stop-I stop right before the full feeling.

Carol

Sandie, Carol, I found myself on a plateau, gaining and losing the same five pounds for three weeks. It wasn't until I started tracking my food that I realized, I was always coming up short on Protein. Try logging all your food intake, even if it's just a bite. You'll be surprised, I know I was. I was eating more carbs than I realized and not enough protein. I use myfitnesspal.com, recommended to me by someone on this board, and it has most every food you could ask for and you can create your own. Each day I look at my total food intake and check the protein. If you aren't getting enough protein, you won't lose weight. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

:cool:

I am having a hard time, I am NOT getting in much food or drink. Today, I went to eat a 5 oz Yoplait Greek Yogurt 100 calorie and was only able to eat abut 1/2 of it. Sipping fluids after (30 min) the yogurt. I am definitely not getting in even half of the protein and a bottle of water a day. I am weak, and nauseated. The minute I eat anything I feel totally full. So I eat a half teaspoon of whatever it is, and then wait for it to feel like it went through. NO chest pain just feel sick all the time. I think it must be dehydration and lack of protein so feel weak and feel full the minute food is in my mouth. I am in a pickle!! I am going to call my nutritionist on Monday but if any ideas please. I tried the Protein Chicken Soup, did not taste so good.(UNJURY) Maybe should have diluted it. Today i am sad, I really need to be able to eat more to just have my body act right!

tomorrow i get my drain out , and next week the 40 staples .. 3 weeks seens like a long time to keep staples in ..has anyone else had staples in that long ?
why could they not go in with the tubes and the camera. I have 6 incisions with glue on them. I also had a hernia repaired too.

To help get the protien in try Gen pro medical grade protien powder... Orderless tasteless and a table spoon is 30 gram of protein... Can be mixed in anything. Crystal light, water, pudding, jello, yogurt Etc...... 20 bucks or so for small bucket... On Amazon.... Can get it at GNC and a few other places.,..
Good luck

had my surgery the 14th, lapro gastric bypass. Had my drain out the Friday after. No staples. I have 5 entry sites and the drain site. No stitches only steri strips and super glue. All seem to be healing fine. I just have a lot of trouble with moving gas and getting all of my liquids. They want me to get in 3 meals a day, 1 protein shake and 64 oz of water. How? There is no room. I manage all except about 30 oz of water. But I do eat popsickles as well. Any suggestions as to how I can get the rest in on a full liquid diet?
Make sure you count the pop cycles as fluid. Each one is counted as 4 oz of fluid. Your protein shake also counts as fluid based on how much water or milk you put into it. You will be amazed at how many hidden ozs of fluid you are getting in.

Back