• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

3 days post-op....Pain with drinking...normal????

Kim n NC

Hi,
Had surgery Wed and didn't get discharged until yesterday. Am having pain with drinking (though sometimes even without drinking). Feels like a "hunger pang" but painful and burning. Got checked for a leak in the hospital but did not have one. Doc suggested I drink more isotonic fluids like Gatorade, but still have pains. My surgery was little more involved than the usual. I am a colon cancer patient and the doc found 3 areas of small tumors in my abdominal wall, which he removed. That just seems to cause more muscle pain, but the pain meds are handling that. It's really that burning pain that is hard to take as it makes you not want to drink enough.
Did anybody else have this problem and if so how long did it last and what did you drink?
Thank you for any and all advice.
K

Kim-There werena couple of other members who had pain after drinking but I don't remember who they are. I hope they reply to your post. What I remember them saying is that cold beverages were causing them more pain than room temperature and warm beverages. You might want to try not drinking cold beverages for now to see if that helps you.

I just had surgery last Tuesday - all drinks cause me pain. I'm now eating pureed foods, they don't bother me at all, but the drinking - ouch. I think it's just our bodies and that we'll adjust eventually. This is a pretty major surgery! My body is very active trying to heal and a lot of it hurts. :/

I am 2 months post-op. I also had a lot of trouble with liquids at first. Drinking room temperature or warm liquids did help, but not always. Try not to drink actual swallows - more like half a teaspoon at a time. I can now drink 2 - 3 ounces at a time, but that first drink of the morning...I still take it slow. Good luck to you!

Hi everyone--I am 4 weeks post op and I am still having trouble with pain with drinking. I agree that warm beverages are better and more soothing (in love with peppermint tea). The pain I have is right in the middle of my chest and I would describe it as a stabbing pain, very uncomfortable. It has gotten better and hopefully will continue. Hang in there.;) Terri

Back