• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

3 days post-op so far the protein powders are vile

chatwidow

So I am 3 days post-op and have to gag down the protein powder (Unjury) as it is so vile. I've tried mixing it with water spiked with Crystal Light and chicken broth. I haven't made 60 grams yet. A few years ago I tried Spiru-Tein soy vanilla protein that was actually good. Would anyone recommend it? Any other recommendations?

You should check with you NP to see what their requirements are for you. I had no problem with the Unjury unflavored, chocolate or vanilla. For 2 weeks post op, I was put on Isopure Drinks. They have 40gs of Protein each. I had 2 a day and 1 chicken buillon/broth with a scoop of the unflavored Unjury. I did this for 2 weeks. Once I was moved to the soft diet I stated drinking the Pure Protein shakes (usually 2 a day). And the Pure Protein Vanilla Protein Powder in greek yogurt, in order to get my protein in, depending on what I eat now too. I did try and found that the Unjury protein in water did not mix well, and they really don't recommend it to be used as such. I also have tried the EAS Myoplex Lite which has 20 gs of Protein in them. They taste pretty good to me too. Good luck!

Thanks Jules! I have a bottle of Isopure and it was actually good so I'll stick with it. I tried the Unjury chicken soup flavor in chicken broth and it wasn't bad. The unflavored unjury in crystal light was just awful. I actually gagged trying to get it down and just gave up. I'll just keep trying. Thanks for the tips.

Have you tried the bariatric advantage products yet? Many seem to enjoy those. If all goes as planned I will have my surgery sometime at the end of September beginning November.

So I am 3 days post-op and have to gag down the protein powder (Unjury) as it is so vile. I've tried mixing it with water spiked with Crystal Light and chicken broth. I haven't made 60 grams yet. A few years ago I tried Spiru-Tein soy vanilla protein that was actually good. Would anyone recommend it? Any other recommendations?

chatwidow-I've never had any problems with Unjury protein powders although I'm not crazy about the chicken flavor unless it's mixed into food or made into a sauce with some seasonings. All you can do is try some different brands but make sure you use something that is recommended by your nutritionist.

I use the Unjury unflavored in a lot of things but like it best in hot chocolate. It can't be added to anything hotter than 130 degrees or it clumps up. I use hot tap water to make my hot chocolate and mix in 1/2 scoop of the Unjury unflavored powder (reheat slightly in microwave for 10 seconds). Works good with the chocolate and vanilla protein powders too. The Unjury strawberry sorbet is good mixed with sugar free lemonade dring mix, any brand.

Use a shaker bottle with a ball to mix protein powders with cold beverages. You can buy them in the bariatric store from this forum, go to the home page to find the link to the store.

Back