• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

3 months post-op - how much should I be eating?

From what I've heard from my regular support group 700 to 800 calories a day for females. protein protein protein. I like the protein shake being its about the only thing I can keep down, but then there is that diarrhea explosion I have two hours later.

Good Luck

Hi Laura. I'm 6 months post sleeve and I have the morning blahs too! What has worked for me is to drink something hot first thing. For whatever reason, it seems to open up my pouch and helps me tolerate proteins. I still cannot eat any type of bread, it just doesn't sit well. I can eat crackers and such, but limit my intake on the carbs for the best weight loss. I don't like protein shakes either, I've tried so many I've lost count. Try eggs cooked in various different ways, sausage, bacon, cheeses - these all help me get thru the first meal and sometimes the 2nd and 3rd meal! I have an amazing bariatric team. Check out their website, FB page, and blog. They are accepting of all WLS patients, not just their own. www.weightwise.com. I would have been a mess by now if not for them. (FYI - I'm eating lunch as I type and it's taken me 30 minutes to eat 2 chicken nuggets. That is about how fast I eat all of the time). Good Luck!!!!!

I agree, at 6 weeks, I live off protien drinks and just dream of eating more protein. I get sick real easy. I have lost plenty of weight, I walk 1 to 1.5 miles in the morning before work, but just have trouble eating. I do eat yogart, fruit like strawberies all chopped up and water mellon all chopped up, and apple sauce.
My doc and nutrianlist begged me to not eat crackers and bread. I don't want to waste eating anything that isn't protien or fruit. Please try to find something you can tolerate. GNC's stores are popping up all over, many times they will let you sample protien drinks. I try to have 100 grams of protien a day.

I am 3 months post-op and not sure of how much I should be eating. Right now I don't eat anything until about 10am and then that's usually a couple of peanut butter crackers. Lunch at 12:30 or so and that's about half of a sandwich (no crust) or a cup of soup. I snack on a couple more crackers around 2:30 or 3 and then dinner is around 5. My dinner consists of very, very little or no meat, a starch and then a snack of crackers or pretzels around 7:30 or 8. I feel like I'm eating too much but my husband thinks I'm not eating enough. Can someone guide me in the right direction please?
I am now 7 weeks post op sleeve gastrectomy and have lost 18 pounds. Like you I don't eat until about 10 as I often feel nauseous on waking. This was not new with my surgery.
I am trying to eat about 800 calories per day with a target of 60-80 grams protein per my programs advice. I have been able to meet my target most days by drinking one Premier Protein Shake (160 cal/30 g pro) for breakfast or a snack. Since advancing to soft foods I have not had any issues with tolerating different foods and have just begun adding in some fresh fruits and vegetables . Most days I try to eat a 2oz packet of tuna (16 g pro/90 cal) with a little bit of lite mayo. Dinners for me are about 2-3 oz of fish, chicken, or shrimp. I am eating minimal amounts of carbs. I have also tried some lean cuisines but try to get at least 12-15 G protein in the selection Hope this helps

Back