• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

3 months post-op - how much should I be eating?

LauraJ

I am 3 months post-op and not sure of how much I should be eating. Right now I don't eat anything until about 10am and then that's usually a couple of peanut butter crackers. Lunch at 12:30 or so and that's about half of a sandwich (no crust) or a cup of soup. I snack on a couple more crackers around 2:30 or 3 and then dinner is around 5. My dinner consists of very, very little or no meat, a starch and then a snack of crackers or pretzels around 7:30 or 8. I feel like I'm eating too much but my husband thinks I'm not eating enough. Can someone guide me in the right direction please?

Right now I don't eat anything until about 10am and then that's usually a couple of peanut butter crackers. Lunch at 12:30 or so and that's about half of a sandwich (no crust) or a cup of soup. I snack on a couple more crackers around 2:30 or 3 and then dinner is around 5. My dinner consists of very, very little or no meat, a starch and then a snack of crackers or pretzels around 7:30 or 8.

Hi, Laurel,

Welcome and Congratulations on your weight loss so far. You've done a terrific job!

What do your hospital/surgical group handouts have to say about what you should be eating at this stage? Why don't you eat anything until 10 o'clock? I'm less concerned with "how much" you're eating than I am with "what" you're eating. The nutrition you need simply isn't there.

I am concerned about you. Where is your protein? It seems to me that your starch and fat consumption are way too high: crackers, bread, pretzels; peanut butter, soup, sandwich spread(?), lunchmeat(?). Are you taking all your supplements? Are you getting in all your fluids?

Please check in with a bariatric nutritionist. I think you need lots more protein and lots less starch. It's good to weigh less; let's keep you healthy, too.

Let us know what your nutritionist has to say, will you?

Oops. Deepest apologies for getting your name wrong, LauraJ.

My concerns remain the same, nonetheless.

Laura-You absolutely MUST get a minimum of 60 grams of lean protein every day. If you do not get enough protein you will lose muscle and organ tissue instead of fat. The protein also promotes healing from surgery and faster weight loss. You should have been given written information from your nutritionist or surgeon outlining the 4 meal plan phases and also the quantity and types of food you should be eating during each phase. Just a general idea you start off with a few tablespoons of food per meal and work your way up to as much as 1 cup maximum per meal. Proteins first, then veggies then carbs are generally what is recommended. Most people don't have enough of an appetite to eat anything other than proteins in the beginning and then can work in some veggies and lastly a very samll amount of carbs like a half piece of small fruit or some diluted fruit juice. You really need to re-think your consumption of things like crackers and pretzels and other starches especially as a full meal. You aren't doing yourself any favors by eating these things. I'm not saying you should never ever have them but you need to get your protein in first and foremost.

I agree you must eat your protein before anything else. I still have issues with that. My surgeon even said they may have to go in an dilate the opening to my pouch because I feel like food is always getting stuck. This has been going on for a little bit, but on the plus side, it keeps me from over eating. I eat what veggies I can and very little fruit. I may have a few carbs but I limit them. I can handle toast sometimes, and I will eat toast before I do crackers or something. I am not sure how you can manage anything with peanut butter as that is way too thick for me and I can't handle it.

My breakfast is usually an egg, with a slice of bacon and a piece of toast. I may eat oatmeal, but not very often. Lunch may be a 1/2 sandwich...I can do salads but not very much. Dinner is always a small amount of protein, some sort of veggie or two. I drink iced tea, water, hot tea, very seldom do I have dairy. I have purchased almond milk, but that too I limit how much I drink. I may have some gluten free cereal once in a while with my almond milk. Please keep us posted.

LauraJ,

My question would be, are you supplementing with protein shakes at all? However, I agree with all of the above and suggest you contact your bariatric nutritionist. Good luck as you continue on your Journey.

NanaG,

It sounds like you aren't getting enough protein, either.

Please stay healthy. Wouldn't be a bad idea for you to check in with your nutritionist, also.

Keep us posted.

I do the best I can, but I don't feel my nutritionist really helps me all that much. Last time I was there, people kept giving me protein drink samples, and I have told them that I cannot tolerate them at all. SO I do what I can do. I will make some calls and see who I can talk to though. I feel like I am getting bronchitis, so I need to see what I can and cant take for any illness that pops up

Last time I was there, people kept giving me protein drink samples, and I have told them that I cannot tolerate them at all.

There are many, many brands of whey protein supplements. There are many types of protein supplements other than whey. Something will work for you. You must search it out.

Please take care of yourself. Stay healthy. Let us know how you're doing.

Last edited:
Nana-Have you tried lactose free protein powders mixed with water instead of milk? Check out Unjury.com if you are interested. I find the strawberry sorbet to be a bit on the tart side so I add a packett of sweetener to it. The strawberry is made especially to use with water but you can mix the other flavors with water too. The taste between the brands of protein shakes varies so much that you just need to try a taste of everything until you find something you can tolerate. I think Unjury offers samples so you don't waste money on a big container if you find you don't like it. They have a great return policy too!!!

I like unjury shakes too. I mix the Strawberry Sorbet with lemon crystal lite and I love the tart flavor so I never add anything. I also like the unflavored unjury in other flavors. I have recently discovered the one sold here at American Bariatrics. My fav is peach mango so far. Unjury has 20 Grams of protein while the other has 15 but I use both now.

Hi... I'm currently 5 weeks out with RNY surgery. On a typical day I start with 4 oz of protein shake and about an hour later I have 1/4 cup of oatmeal or cream of wheat cereal (or an egg with ham and cheese). About an hour after that I drink another 4 oz of protein shake. For lunch I usually have lunch meat, cheese, and light vegetables. I don't tolerate salad very well yet, but I try to eat some green vegetable. In the afternoon I try (sometimes time just goes by too quickly) to have another 4 oz of protein shake about an hour or so before I eat dinner. Dinner is usually about like lunch, same portions. I might eat a little less than 1/2 a sandwich or 1/2 cup of soup. I wait a few hours after dinner to have the other 4 oz of my shake. I usually use Bariatric Advantage in Chocolate, Iced Latte, Orange Dream or Vanilla. I am currently drinking a RTD shake from GNC I got on sale. It's vanilla and VERY very good - and I don't like Vanilla (Bariatric Advantage) that much. So this is a good alternative, plus it has more protein per serving (12 oz can vs 8 oz scoop). While I was at GNC I bought some unflavored Whey protein isolate (GNC brand) to add to things like soup, cereal, shakes, pancakes, etc. to boost the protein. For snacks I use yogurt, cheese (proteins) and sugar free pudding or jello (not protein). Most importantly I take my vitamins and strive to get at least 60 grams of protein a day plus drink 48-64 oz of water. I usually only get about 48. I'm trying to work my way up to 64. I feel like I'm floating as already... I forgot to mention that I use Mootopia milk (probably only available in Texas) which has added protein, no fat, and extra vitamins. There's also Horizon milk - it has added nutrients but not as much as Mootopia. Mootopia is produced by a Texas-based grocery chain, if you live in Texas - it's available at HEB.

LauraJ... you need to talk to your Nutritionist. You must get more protein and less carbs.

Oh my. Did you get a book from the hospital. I am a little over 2 months. Its 1/4 cup. Protien first. I eat maybe a boiled eggs. take vitamins and drink protien. then have something no less then 5 hours later. Then its a list of things I can chose. I wait 30 minutes and drink (sip ) water which you should have 4 bottles aday or 64 ounces. then 4 hours later I chose a protien. Not getting alot now so I space my protien drink out 2-3 times a day and that can be included in your water intake as well. You have to had talked to dietitan and my booklet is huge with all information. Crackers at this point and pretzels and soft bread are no no's. You need to go online and look up your months and eat accordingly. Call your doctor you need to get in and learn how to eat. I will work up to half a cup 6 months and 1 year a cup per meal. My doctor and nurse talk to me and tell me to add and try different things. You are not eating right at all. to list everything would take hours. Read the book and follow it. I am now eating my dinner I have shaved turkey a piece of soft cheese and the turkey is eaten first.
after 30 minutes I might drink a cup of diet hot chocolate. I also driink water at night. By drink we mean sippping. Call your doctor tomorrow and get in and he will set up and appt with someone so you understand what we need to eat and drink.

Hon did they not give you a huge book with all the information you need? water and protein. If I don't get enough believe me you I am gonna make up for it. Shakes so many options. Peanut butter is a no no at this point. Eggs, sliced turkey, chicken etc from deli. Beans be creative Pintos and cheese I make with refried beans a little green sauce and fat free cheese. Fish that flakes apart. So many other foods. I am 3 months out too. I don't eat crackers or peanut butter.I will begin a new part in about 10 mdays when I see my doctor.example 1 boiled egg or scrabbled your choice 2 tablespoons of fruit, say a banana for breakfast a few hours later 4-6 ounces of protein, lunch tuna if you like itcarrots 1-2 tablespoons. mid afternoon 4-6 ounces of protein drink then supper you have choices mayb e refried beans and peaches in proper amount. Sip on water all day till you have 64 ounces. end my evening with the rest of my shake. I can not yet consume 60-80 grams of protein so I drink it to make up for it. Stop eating peanut butter, If you have been to the doctor has he told you to go to a solid food now? If you have the bible lol, Bariatric book it gives you choices, what to have and whats not good. If not get one and stick to it. You need to be careful eatting thing that may clog your intake or out take. Good luck with this it is easy when you get the hang of it. You can do it. Just apply yourself. Sorry I did not mean to be so blunt, but you have to eat well. Good luck hope this may have helped you a bit.
Hugs,
Angie

Angie, when I went for my 7 wks post op. They told me I could eat anything and everything. And to stop drinking liquid protein. But, you still HAVE to use common SENSE. I have found out there are things I can't eat or drink. Boy, Drs. sure are different on this. Big hugs to you girl, Carla

U should be eating lots and lots of protein.if u dont u will get in lots of health problems.did ur dr. Not tell u this. Protein/protein and then veg and carb. R u not cing a nutricienst?

The Dr. never said anything about keep on with the protein. just to eat my meat first. I wish I got that bible that others got. My Dr. office knows nothing about that book. I feel left out. Like the song says" Alone again naturally"

Back