• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

3 surgeries in 1...feeling regret :-(

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum. I had gastric bypass on May 31, 2012 along with gall bladder removal and umbilical hernia repair. I am 10 days post op and am just now begining to handle the pain without hydrocodone. I had NO idea how much pain this was going to cause! I have had several close friends go through gastric bypass but none of them tell of this kind of pain. My family says its because the 3 in 1 surgery but am I just a wimp???? The most pain I have now is from the g-tube still in place and the belly button. Is this ever going to get better? Feeling some regret at this point :(

Well your not brainless but Welcome. You were very brave to go through 3 surgeries at one time, my heart goes out to you, you are not a whimp by no means I would be crying like a baby:(. Yes it should get better, I did feel regret for a few days post surgery while I was sitting at home and I just had the RnY, but since I only had one of the two I can't say how long until the pain subsides. I think there are a couple of people here that have done what you have so they will be able to really understand the pain you are going through. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hang in there. :cool: Tom

I had an umbilical hernia repair last June which was 8 months before my RNY. The pain from the hernia was minimal and the pain from the RNY was moderate so I'm thinking by having these 2 surgeries plus gall bladder removal would cause signifiant pain. However, your surgeon should be able to prescribe a pain med that will make you feel more comfortable. Please contact the surgeon to discuss this. Once on the pain med, if you still have major pain there could be something like an infection going on so don't hesitate to contact your surgeon. Another thing that will cause pain is not following you post-op instructions including meal plan advice and lifting restrictions. You also need to be getting plenty of sleep and rest.

Make sure to let us know how you are doing.

Thank you for the encouragement! I totally went into this thinking I would have surgery May 31st and be back to work with no problems by June 12th. BOY WAS I WRONG! I think my mind set has been so re-vamped. It does make me feel a bit at ease that the "regret" feeling has been felt by others that have been successful though. At this point I am just trying to focus on pain relief and taking in the yummy crushed vitamins lol :eek: If I focus on just healing to get back to normal then it sort of helps take my mind off of the regret I guess. Sounds weird but that's what I'm doing today.

Hopefully your pain gets better as the days go by, I haven't had my surgery yet so I don't really have any input there, but, I think its nice that you only have to go through one recovery instead of 3 separate ones. Hopefully once your pain subsides and you start feeling better all the feelings of regret will fade and you will start feeling like this is the best decision you ever made :). Good luck and hang in there.
-Jenny

I had gallbladder removal along with my roux-en-Y on Monday. I have moderate pain, I'm guessing most of it is from the gallbladder removal. I have liquid hydrocodone that I take at certain times ( I take it just before I go walking, in the morning before I get up out of my recliner, and at sleep time so it is still working in me when I get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom). The pain has gone down in intensity since my surgery, and I expect it will continue to do so until it becomes insignificant. I'm sure it will work the same for you. Just hang in there.

Thanks! It's nice to know I'm not alone....I am officially two weeks post op today and I am feeling so much better!!! The pain has gone away (even from the g-tube) and I am able to get around like normal...Thank God. I do think this has been the longest two weeks of my life lol but I am starting to see the rainbow....I now only have to deal with nausea and that is DOABLE!!! I still can't say I would or would not recommend this to anyone because for me I don't really know what having only the gastric bypass feels like, so I don't want to give someone the wrong information. My mom is actually going through the process right now to have it done soon and now that she see's what I have dealt with she is a little weary. I try to tell her everyone is different but its hard to know what to say to her. I pray that anyone getting ready to have any surgery educates themselves and has realistic goals for post op....I simply did not have realistic goals for post op nor did I know what I was getting into by having the 3 in 1 surgery. One Stop Shopping USED to be my motto......NOT so much anymore lol :p

Thanks! It's nice to know I'm not alone....I am officially two weeks post op today and I am feeling so much better!!! The pain has gone away (even from the g-tube) and I am able to get around like normal...Thank God. I do think this has been the longest two weeks of my life lol but I am starting to see the rainbow....I now only have to deal with nausea and that is DOABLE!!! I still can't say I would or would not recommend this to anyone because for me I don't really know what having only the gastric bypass feels like, so I don't want to give someone the wrong information. My mom is actually going through the process right now to have it done soon and now that she see's what I have dealt with she is a little weary. I try to tell her everyone is different but its hard to know what to say to her. I pray that anyone getting ready to have any surgery educates themselves and has realistic goals for post op....I simply did not have realistic goals for post op nor did I know what I was getting into by having the 3 in 1 surgery. One Stop Shopping USED to be my motto......NOT so much anymore lol :p

I am glad to hear you are feeling so much better:D I was talking with one of the gals at work about my surgey because she was sitting there eating a starch filled lunch and I was telling her how most of what she was eating would make me ill (dump) and I told her about my RnY and she asked if I would recomend it (she weighs about 120) and we joked about it for a minute on how she wnated to be a size 00 (I had no idea there was such a size), she was kidding of course, she is fit as a fiddle and can hike and carry as much weight up a hill as an guy can. But I told her what I tell most people, the choice was right for me and I think everyone knows when they are at the point where they need WLS, for me it was because I had tried everything and I told her about what I had to do to maintain my weight at 270, execise 3 hours a day and try to stay at 1500 colories a day, the 1500 cal a day might have been doable but the 3 hr work out not a chance I can set asid an hour a day but the other 2 hrs would have to come out of my sleep time. Aftre hearing my story and knowing me when I was over 300 and seeing me now she thought I made a good descision. There are a few different WLS out there and it is such a personal descision and a life changing event the only thing I feel comfortable telling somone is my journey and how it affected me and started changing my life and that it is just a tool and not a cure for obesity. :cool: Tom

Thanks Jenny! ~~ Tom I agree fully! It really is a personal choice and everybody is so different. I told my husband today that I know I made the right choice to do the surgery as far as it truly saving my life so I would be around for our four kids and him....BUT lol I definitely would not do the 3 in 1 hahahaha that was just to much for me. Some people could probably handle it just fine though. Anyway, things are so much better and I'm sure it will continue that way as long as I stay on my diet and focus. Thanks again to all of you for your support! It has really helped me hang in there this two weeks....:D

Dear Brain,

1st, Centrum makes an adult chewable; you only need one per day. Takes like orange; not bad. We also had the option of Flintstones but they're expensive & you need to take 2 vs. 1 for child. Hope that helps.

Was told for any pills I needed to crush to mix in supersmall plastic cups we were given to show us size of new stomach & basically amount stomach holds now.
Mix in crystal light - dry, pour down throat w/in reason & follow up with water then more crystal light once completely.
Don't do this within 30 mins + of beginning to start your meal.

I take a lot of RXs, too but was finally informed 06/14/12 that I could swallow any smaller than the size of a regular, pencil eraser.
Wow, what a difference this has made; no more crushing effective yesterday - woot, woot!
Most of mine are pre-scored so it wasn't too bad & was able to cut the others with a pill cutter I believe I picked up at a $1 Store.

Of course, you should check w/your healthcare providers about the Centrum & cutting of pills smaller than a pencil eraser.

They refer to my surgery as, "The Big One"; I has a l-a-r-g-e paraesophageal hiatal hernia along w/roux-en-y; also started at 335lbs.
I've previously had 26 lb ovarian tumor removed, large dermoid cyst & appendix removed Dec 2001 via open, 14" vertical incision - pain, you betcha & for quite some time.

Am I hurting now even though surg was 06/06/12 - you betcha?
I've been through a few complications since then but being in the ER wed early am w/continued stay in hospital through Thursday afternoon has detoxed me & eliminated my need to take more oxycondone for now along w/another med for side effects; miserable, constant itching.

As far as how much you can take pain-wise, hard to say but remember, you abdomen has been through a LOT of trauma. You've also had an organ reconfigured and your small intestine rerouted.

I has gallbladder removed in 2003; honestly, after the ovarian tumor, was not that bad. Just felt like someone had removed an organ for a few days afterwards.

My surg had suggested cutting my pain med dosage by 1/2 when I saw him this past Monday, 5 days post app.

Personally, I feel so much better not being on the pain meds now.
I can think clearly, function and make decisions and concentrate much better than before.\

Do I still have pain? Yes, the 2 largest incision sights.

Remember that there are areas when they've cut all you layers of skin & fat; it doesn't heal overnight but gets better each day.

You can do this; it sucks but you're just at the point where you may not see the light at the end of the tunnel but I assure you you're close.

Don't worry about your weight every single minute, some it water & fluids pumped into you.

Stick to to the post op diet as best as you possibly can especially w/maxing protein daily along w/staying well hyrated.
Dehydration will make things worse; nausea, dizzieness, etc. - it isn't pleasant.

When eating your little, pureed meals, start w/the protein to get as much in you at the correct level of consistency within the given time frame.
I've found that I really do file very pull about 20 mins to the minute after I finish ease during my 30 mins.

Well, I've rambled too much but hope something I've written may be helpful.

Back