• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

3 yrs out and feel like a failure !

i have been 10 yrs out and i am slowly putting my weight back on i am creeping back up to wherer i started at before surgery and i dont want to go back there how do any of you get motivated to excercise move ??

I have found the combination of WLS and low-carb to be very powerful for me. Generally, I follow Atkins, except my portions are smaller, e.g. I eat less than the recommend 1500-1800 calories/day. I consume the recommended protein and fat...still working on getting in all the veggies. Atkins recommends 12-15 net grams of carbs from veggies in the very first phase and it only increases after that. Obviously, I can't consume all that (which was the point to WLS in the first place), but combining WLS and low-carb has been really good for me!!! The sample eating plans given to me by my bariatric team caused me a lot of problems because it included quite a lot of carbs. That, to me, is like telling an alcoholic she can have a few drinks but can't get drunk...yeah, right!?!?! So, I do much better staying away from all sugars, grains, and starches. I'm much more sane and in control of what I consume.

You CAN lose weight after 18 months. I think everyone's weight loss slows down as they get closer to a healthy weight, but you can definitely lose after 18 months. Make sure you keep up on your vitamins, consume enough protein (and, if you are keeping your carbs low, enough fat), and throw in some enjoyable exercise...you'll get there!!! :)

My name is Tracy and I am almost 2 years out I has rny surgery in 2012 and I am having problems with stomach acid has anyone else had this problem I can hear my stomach gurgling constantly can anyone give me some advice on this.

Hi, My name is Ann
I am three years out of having my RYN surgery,it was rough for me got very sick after the surgery and ended up having pumps and ivs for almost 6 months after the surgery and having 2 followup surgerys do to surgery infections! But, I hung in there but I feel like I am such a failure at this really. I thought by now I would be at a normal wieght and am not! I started this journey at 490 ,that is what scared me when I found out I had gotten that heavy! I had always been around 310 or so but yikes! The good news I lost 200 pounds but now I feel like I am in limbo because they always told me you would stop losing the weight after 18 months out and I am 290 and stuck there! I dont want to stay at this weight, I lost contact with the surgeon that I was seeing as at the time I was getting over being ill my mother became ill and I traveled out of state and then she passed. I never heard from my doctors after that. I feel alone and lost on this journey and trying to connect with others to help me find my way back and get the rest of this weight off, I would like to get to my goal weight of 125 but even if I got down to 150 I would be happy! I hope I can find some help and support from you all here! Thanks for listening to me!
Hi, My name is Ann
I am three years out of having my RYN surgery,it was rough for me got very sick after the surgery and ended up having pumps and ivs for almost 6 months after the surgery and having 2 followup surgerys do to surgery infections! But, I hung in there but I feel like I am such a failure at this really. I thought by now I would be at a normal wieght and am not! I started this journey at 490 ,that is what scared me when I found out I had gotten that heavy! I had always been around 310 or so but yikes! The good news I lost 200 pounds but now I feel like I am in limbo because they always told me you would stop losing the weight after 18 months out and I am 290 and stuck there! I dont want to stay at this weight, I lost contact with the surgeon that I was seeing as at the time I was getting over being ill my mother became ill and I traveled out of state and then she passed. I never heard from my doctors after that. I feel alone and lost on this journey and trying to connect with others to help me find my way back and get the rest of this weight off, I would like to get to my goal weight of 125 but even if I got down to 150 I would be happy! I hope I can find some help and support from you all here! Thanks for listening to me!

Hello..Wow...You have been threw a lot. You should be proud of yourself. You sound like a strong woman. You made it through a lot of hard situations..And lost a whopping 200 pounds. That is one heck of great thing to do and very hard. So you kinda took a detour through your journey. You know you need keep a journal, track food eaten,do movement, keep your hands busy with hobby and most of all....
Be Happy....It's a wonderful journey...Hard but well worth it.

Back