• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

5 day pouch test

Kimba

I am currently on the 5 day pouch test day 1, I am 9 years out, in 19 days this is my first time doing the pouch test I have regained about 25-30 pounds from my lowest weight after surgery. I feel it is time to do this pouch test but am wondering what if my pouch is really stretched or non working anymore. I have been able to eat much larger portions for at least the last 6 years. I had regained before 15 pounds which I dropped quickly by going on the south beach diet and am still eating that way for the most part however portion control is a big issue for me. not choosing the right types of food.

Finishing up my first day. It wasnt as hard as I thought it would be. This November will be my 4 year anniv. I have regained about 30 lbs back. I would like to those pounds off. I am hoping this 5 day pouch test works and gets me back on track to start eating healthy again and to start losing the weight

Yes, that is the same hopes I have. I didn't feel that it was hard at all as I am determined and focused. I am currently on day 3 and so far I have lost 12 pounds (unbelievable if anyone would have told me they lost 12 pounds in that short amount of time I would have said they are not truthful), I feel great I did 68 ounces of plain water, 40 ounces of green tea decaf with 3 packets of Truvia, and I had 4 Protein shakes of 24 Grams of Whey Isolate Protein each. That first day so much left my body that I felt liberated and refreshed absolutely amazing experience for me. day 2 same thing as above but added a 6oz cup of chicken cream broth to it, and 1 cup of plain coffee iced mixed with my chocolate flavored Whey isolate protein Shake. I am currently on day 3 and looking forward to add scrambled eggs and caned tuna (in place of one of the shakes so reduce my shakes to 3) I think the hardest part for me is and will be the 30 min prior and 30min after eating or consuming my protein not to drink, I have however shortened the time prior from 30min to 20min so that I got back 50 min of time in my schedule to push fluids, as I feel 20 min prior should be enough.

I hope you'll find great success with this pouch test, and it will get you motivated to get back on track, if you need anything feel free to message. I have found talking and listening to other RNY patients has greatly helped me, I have learned from others mistakes but also benefited from there success and being 9 years out I have come to realize I can't do this by myself (yes the action on following thru is up to me, but encouragement is so very welcome and needed on my part). So thumbs up (Y) to you. And keep going

Oh and after my first actual food 2 scrambled eggs this morning, I actually feel a little tighter in my pouch and am actually satisfied (for now)

2 day on pouch test

Thanks for responding I didnt weight in when i started the 5 day pouch test. I havent weight myself for a while, but i am aware that i gained some weight. I am going to weight my self todnight. I am trying to get the 64 oz or water in but it is hard, i have notice i am going to the bathroom a lot so i guess i am getting the fluids in. I have had the creaming soups, jello and two protein shakes. It wasnt as hard as i thought it would be the craving for sweet is not there, i am looking forward to tomorrow to get scrambled eggs. i am looking forward to getting back on track and hopefully taking the weight i gained off. Good luck on your new jouney...

I am going to be starting the 5 day on Monday. I am no 12 years out. Need to get myself back on track. Hopefully I can turn my weight loss back around.

Did this work for anyone I'm 16 years post op i lost the weight and was successful for many year i may have gained 50 lbs and maintained the weight around 160 and i was happy. Just recently within the last year Ivw gained almost 100 lbs. I'm mortified i can eat almost everything. I'm suffering from a lot of ailments now including diabetes and Lupus and it's been harder for me to be as active as before.

Does this work after so many years post op? Is it possible to get down to a reasonable weight? I never thought I'd be back to my old self pre op weight and my when world feels like it's falling apart.

Thanks for any response

Bernie

Did this work for anyone I'm 16 years post op i lost the weight and was successful for many year i may have gained 50 lbs and maintained the weight around 160 and i was happy. Just recently within the last year Ivw gained almost 100 lbs. I'm mortified i can eat almost everything. I'm suffering from a lot of ailments now including diabetes and Lupus and it's been harder for me to be as active as before.

Does this work after so many years post op? Is it possible to get down to a reasonable weight? I never thought I'd be back to my old self pre op weight and my when world feels like it's falling apart.

Thanks for any response

Bernie
What have you got to lose (no pun intended) by trying the 5-day pouch test? It's essentially getting back to basics of protein and fluids like we did early on. I have also heard of some people having surgical revisions when they had surgery a long time ago. I don't know if the techniques are better, or if the pouch really does get stretched out. Good luck to you, and check back often. There's a lot of good support on this site.

What have you got to lose (no pun intended) by trying the 5-day pouch test? It's essentially getting back to basics of protein and fluids like we did early on. I have also heard of some people having surgical revisions when they had surgery a long time ago. I don't know if the techniques are better, or if the pouch really does get stretched out. Good luck to you, and check back often. There's a lot of good support on this site.

Thanks a lot i did have a revision in 07 only bc i had a leak and complications from the original bypass in '98 had a partial cholecystectomy and my pouch was in tact but i still maintained a healthy weight for myself. So I'll give it a go and i appreciate the support.

Bernie

Hello Kimba, apparently we are in the same boat. I'll be 10 years out in May. I'm very sad by the weight gain & don't know where to turn. My surgeon was an excelent surgeon but very poor compassion. If you get any feed back I sure could use the info. Sympathizing & wishing you all the luck

All of you must, I say must get back to basics and join, rejoin local support groups.

It sounds like you all have let the portions grow and the discipline of weighing portions has gone out the window and thus your calorie intake has crept up from 1200 to 1500 to 1800 to who know what.

I am still on the honeymoon. I know this. However, there are two habits that I have entrenched in my daily routine already. I keep a very accurate journal of my consumption each day. My target is 1200 calories a day and yes I keep it near the 1200. Sometimes I have been as high as 1500 calories. However, my exercise routine produces enough calorie burn that my net calories is still below 1200 and most often below 1000. This is an essential discipline for long term success; I know this. YOU ALL KNOW THIS !!!

When I have had a day or two where I went above 1200 I follow up with a day or 2 or 3 of a very strict daily routine, using shakes, protein drinks and limited but accurate amounts of protein such as hard boiled eggs or precisely measured chicken, fish or beef. This makes sure my CARB intake stays under 100 grams for the day. If I feel a need to really get things going as a result of a stall in weight loss and I have had a few, then I endeavor to get my carb intake down below 60 grams for the day.

These are the tools that I have developed and are using to maintain control.

You all need to get back to doing this. Yes, the 5 day pouch test is the best. More importantly, I would tell you to go through the 4 stages many of you went through pre-op and post op so long ago.

Go on a two week pure liquid diet consisting of glucerna or similar shake and protein shakes to assure you get your required protein and stay below 1200 calories.

Then start with puree foods again. Then go back to soft foods. You get the idea. Make believe you just had the surgery all over again. I promise you if you get back on the wagon in this manner your weight will come off.

My warning signal is two days over 1200 in a row. Then I reel it in. I cannot/will not allow this wonderful new lease on life get away from me.

Thinks about what I said.

Go back and search this site for Linney's videos.

Get recharged.

We want you to succeed.

Ralph

It works!

Thanks a lot i did have a revision in 07 only bc i had a leak and complications from the original bypass in '98 had a partial cholecystectomy and my pouch was in tact but i still maintained a healthy weight for myself. So I'll give it a go and i appreciate the support.

Bernie

Ok so a little update on the results of my 5 day pouch test...it really DOES WORK! I would recommend this to anyone in my position. Not only do i feel my pouch once again I am feeling the dumping syndrome effects if I try to eat past the tightness or fullness. As much as that's terrible for all of us it always helped me psychologically to avoid attempting either greasy or sugary foods to over filling yourself in the future. I thought i wouldn't have that sensation anymore. I've lost a total of 15 lbs so far but that's the least of my worries. I wanted to get back to the basics and this test accomplished it. I feel like I'm once again aware of myself and what I need to get back into my groove and original success i had with my surgery. I appreciate all the support and I will continue the high protein diet and avoid all those carbs I was attached to before. Once i came out of my Carb coma i felt so much better. It really didn't take that long and it wasn't such a hassle as I assumed it would be. So thanks ALL!

Reactions: MEH
Ok so a little update on the results of my 5 day pouch test...it really DOES WORK! I would recommend this to anyone in my position. Not only do i feel my pouch once again I am feeling the dumping syndrome effects if I try to eat past the tightness or fullness. As much as that's terrible for all of us it always helped me psychologically to avoid attempting either greasy or sugary foods to over filling yourself in the future. I thought i wouldn't have that sensation anymore. I've lost a total of 15 lbs so far but that's the least of my worries. I wanted to get back to the basics and this test accomplished it. I feel like I'm once again aware of myself and what I need to get back into my groove and original success i had with my surgery. I appreciate all the support and I will continue the high protein diet and avoid all those carbs I was attached to before. Once i came out of my Carb coma i felt so much better. It really didn't take that long and it wasn't such a hassle as I assumed it would be. So thanks ALL!

I am so glad it worked for you :) keep us up to date

Great news.

Now get back to going to a local support group.

Come here often.

Journal everything you consume.

Get activity levels going.

You will succeed.

Ralph

Back