• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

55 years old and a newbie.

Thanks for asking, Melba. My pannus is relatively small, but it definitely makes skin-to-skin contact and there's one VERY important thing people should do. The warm enclosure it creates allows fungus to grow, similar to athlete's foot. I use a prescription cream to keep it down. But I had three major surgeries below the navel, creating significant scar tissue, and that really makes matters worse. If you had a hysterectomy and other abdominal surgery, you should ask your doctor for the appropriate cream. The scar tissue hurts so much it's hard to use a washcloth to keep it clean, so the cream really is important. This is one of those things that's not such an issue with laparscopic surgery, thank god. But it can still be a problem, so asking your doctor for a preventative solution is smart. And as some of you know, the pannus can really be huge. I mentioned before that my surgeon said he wouldn't operate to remove it unless it virtually hung down to your knees. Some of you may have that problem. It's not uncommon.

But if you're going through all this to improve your health, the pannus should not be ignored, even if the skin fold is small.

Hello, I'm 55 and wonder if there is anyone else around my age that is going to have RNY or have had it fairly recently that can give advice? Surgery sched in April. I'm nervous about how I'll do afterwards given my age and having always been an emotional eater. :)
Hi!! I’m 50 and have surgery in a couple weeks. I’m super nervous and excited. It’s been a long road to get here. Nice to meet you. We got this!

Hi Melba. I had a bit before, but there will be more of an apron - correct medical word is pannus -from saggy skin. I’ve been more shocked by the lack of any elasticity of my skin since the weight loss than by the pannus. But it is part of it. I guess the size, etc varies from person to person. I’m personally more bothered by the loose skin on my inner thighs. Surgery to remove pannus is called panniculectomy and is sometimes covered by insurance if it hangs below the pubis.
Insurance sometimes covers if you have skin issues under the apron, such as yeast infections etc. If this happens make sure your team documents it!

Yeah, sometimes, but rarely. IMO, doctors don't give a shit about most "trivial" women's problems like that. In my case, surgery should have been performed to remove the overhanging apron. But moronically, women's medical standards seems to be to require us to use anti-fungal and anti=yeast meds for the rest of our lives. I get pretty militant about this, considering all the things medicine has required for me instead of a permanent solution.

As an example, in 1970, a team of pharmaceutical types landed in my town to urge childbearing women to use the Dalkon Shield instead of birth control pills. It was excruciatingly painful to have that dime-sized piece of plastic shoved through my virginal cervix. I bled for days. Then every period I had after that was like dying, with huge clots of blood dropping into the toilet. I had to wear multiple pads and tampons were no longer an option. I missed work, got fired from my job for absenteeism, and ultimately was told I was probably sterile. A.H. Robins paid billions to women like me who suffered perforated uteri and pelvic inflammatory disease (what I got). It went on for years because the pharmaceutical company refused to disclose the reports it was getting from women who became gravely ill, sterile, and even died.

That was a lesson I never had to learn again. I do microscopic research anytime any new thing is advertised. After three years of healine and believing I'd never have a baby, I miraculously got pregnant and gave birth.

Sorry for the rant. But I studied up for this surgery the same way and only after reading every report I could get my hands on did I agree. And I had the RYGB through my abdomen, as they also removed my gall bladder.

My favorite Joke: What's the difference between God and a doctor?

Answer: God doesn't think he's a doctor.

Gastric bypass has come a long way, but a lot of lives were drastically changed and there were even deaths before it was figured out. Now it's a day surgery, but if you're on the way to your surgery, make sure you know all the risks, and that you talk extensively to your surgeon to let him/her know you are fully aware of the mistakes doctors can make.

Didn't mean to scare anyone. I'm 15 years out and it was the best thing I ever did for myself. I would do it again in a heartbeat. But it's not quite as simple as, say, a visit to the dentist. At the same time, it's not nearly as bad as a root canal.

As part of the class action, I got $250 from A.H. Robins. I'm still furious about it

Last edited:
Nice to meet you, ThisOldJenn! My surgery date is one the 29th, what day is yours (if you don't mind me asking!)? I think we could be surgery buddies and share stories!
March 22…. Getting so nervous. I don’t feel ready. Like afraid I’m going to forget to have something already at the house. Luckily my husband is taking 10 days off work, so I know stuff will be fine. What prep have you done?? I bought 1 and 2 ounce condiment cups with lids to help ease the measurement of early portions.

March 22…. Getting so nervous. I don’t feel ready. Like afraid I’m going to forget to have something already at the house. Luckily my husband is taking 10 days off work, so I know stuff will be fine. What prep have you done?? I bought 1 and 2 ounce condiment cups with lids to help ease the measurement of early portions.

I feel the same way! Good idea with the condiment cups with lids! I'll have to add that to my shopping list for today. Just like Glad/tupperware? My hubby is taking 3 days off with me. :) I've bought all my supplements and LOTS of shake mix. My Dr. ok'd me doing the Glucerna Hunger Smart shakes. I do the powder mix because it's just more economical. I bought some Propel Fitness Water that my Dr. ok'd too. Today I'm buying the broth, sugar free Jello and popsicles. I guess we just do the best we can and let our hubbies pick up the rest. ;). How are you doing with the pre-op diet so far? I start mine tomorrow and am prepared to feel a little saucy (aka irritable/bitchy)! LOL My pre-op physical is today. Good luck to you my dear! Please stay in touch and let me know how it's going for you!

Hi, I had my bypass done last week and I am 64. I was nervous also but I have to tell you it was one of the most uneventful surgeries I have ever gone through. The first few days the gas pain was the worst part. But as long as you get up and walk around every half hour or so you will find relief. Surgery Pain is just annoying especially when they start itching, lol. Try to keep water with you at all times and take sips every 5 to 10 minutes. Take the gas-ex and drink as much protein shakes as you can. I found zero calorie protein water which broke up the shakes some and the zero power aid helped. I could go on and on. If you have any questions please ask. Good Luck and you will do great.

How are you doing after your surgery now, Mars? Hopefully doing well and recovering quickly. How's the liquid diet?

Melba, you didn't mention it, but when I had surgery, all my supplements, including vitamins had to be in liquid form. You don't really have stomach acid after surgery, so nutrients may be trapped in pills that don't break down until they get through the intestines. Did anyone else have this experience? Were you counseled to use only liquid supplements for a few weeks?

Melba, you didn't mention it, but when I had surgery, all my supplements, including vitamins had to be in liquid form. You don't really have stomach acid after surgery, so nutrients may be trapped in pills that don't break down until they get through the intestines. Did anyone else have this experience? Were you counseled to use only liquid supplements for a few weeks?
Hi Diane, my surgeon is having me take sublingual vitamin B complex, but said I can take my psych meds and other supplements in pill/capsules, they just can’t be extended release meds. I triple checked cuz if I can’t take my psych meds, I wouldn’t do the surgery

I take a med that only comes in capsule form and I still pop it open and sprinkle, 3 years out. I was told, with the bypass, it can be hard to manage extended release drugs because they travel through our bodies slightly faster than before. I thankfully haven't needed any dosage adjustments, so I just continue to sprinkle.

This wasn't a factor when I had my surgery, but I have read this repeatedly at dozens of bariatric sites. It would be a good idea to do some research AND see another doctor for a second opinion.

I take Bariatric Fusion once a day vitamins. They are big capsules, but I’ve never had a prob with them. My doctor didn’t let me start them until a few wks post-op. My anti-seizure meds are extended release. I was afraid of having to make adjustments to those, but thankfully have never had any prob.

Back