• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

6 days away from surgery and SCARED!

Dehily

It seems like the more I try not to think about it the more I actually think about it. I am ready for this, I am past the stage of "what the hell am I doing?" and now I am at the stage of "OMG, it is 6 days away". :eek:

I am not scared of dying, I mean I am already asleep I wouldn't even know. I am not afraid of changing my habits, if I were why have the surgery to begin with. I am scared of the unknown, I guess.

my husband had the sleeve done on April 26th and he had a lot of nausea with his; I mean he was so sick that he only got up and walked when they made him. Then like a light switch he was fine and walking the halls like a champ. I guess I am afraid of that...being sick, throwing up, and pain.

I am a huge wimp when it comes to pain, yeah I know I will have the PCA (or whatever that is called) to give myself a dose of pain meds...oh boy I am anxious writing this right now.

Everyone is different, my husband didn't have pain, think he only hit his button one time the whole 3 days in there; but he also has a higher pain tolerance than I.

I am sure that everyone had similar thoughts to mine...how did you overcome them or did you just walk in the day of surgery a nervous wreck?

I was just like you before surgery. I think it was more of excited nervousness. I wanted to get it done and over with! Felt like it took forever for the day to come .. and even longer after they had me prepped and signed the paperwork and waiting to go back. The only thing that scared me alittle was signing the paperwork giving them permission to give me blood transfusions if needed in a rare case. Which I said to myself "im not going back now" .. I was all in. After surgery I was not in any "pain" it was discomfort from the gas they use to expand your abdomen. And I am not gonna lie, I'm a slight sissy with pain as well .. I mean period cramps bother me . But I wasn't in pain enough to use the pain pump .. however the nurse down in recovery kept asking me if I was in pain and I told her no just discomfort...after awhile she told me to hit the button so she could make sure the PCA was working (I think she just wanted me to hit the button so I wouldn't be in pain). Even after I was taken to my room and hours later, I only hit the PCA button because like my mom said, I was only having discomfort but didn't want the discomfort to turn into pain that took too long to get under control. And at night, I hit a couple times to knock myself out so I could get sleep!! The worst part after surgery, was not being able to drink until the following day after my swallow study. But they give you lemon-mouth swabs. Which when you cant have anything to drink or ice to chew ... its about the most amazing thing lol. Now when they did get me up to walk, I couldn't stand straight up I was slightly hunched over becuz my belly was tender at the incision sites. Walking DEFINITELY helps relieve the gas pain though so do PLENTY of walking!! Anyhow .. YOU WILL DO GREAT!! Its just the anticipation getting to you right now .. =) we all went thru it.
I hope this helps .. =)

Its just natural to be anxious about the unknown.....pain etc.
Thinking good thoughts for you.
This time next week it will be done.
This time next year you will be smiling from ear to ear because you will be a whole lot slimmer and healthier.

Well now, surgery is Wednesday. I am going to be on all clear liquids tomorrow. I have to take a laxative at 10 in the morning, that should be interesting with work...lol. As luck, and my stupid body, would have it I started my period this weekend. That will make for some interesting interactions with the nurses at the hospital. I did some research and it seems that this is common and that being stressed about this can actually cause your body to release the hormones to make you have a period. NICE-Way to go body--you rock.

I am not as nervous as I was when I first made this thread. I think talking this out with everyone helped. My husband has been really understanding and I am sharing all my fears with him, which mostly seem to be on the negative side....but hey.

I am looking forward to starting my journey.

Good luck on Wednesday Dehily! I'm glad your nerves are calming down. Talking things out definitely helps. I had a sleepless night the night before my surgery and I was nervous the morning of, but surprisingly, the nerves did seem to subside a bit once things got going at the hospital. My husband and I had a couple of hours to spend together before they took me back and we kept each other laughing until then. And the staff was amazing at putting me at ease once I had to leave him. They expect us to be a bundle of nerves and will be great at helping to calm you and keep you comfortable. And before you know it, you'll be sleeping and wake up and be on your way to a healthier you. Let us know how everything goes. :)
-Jenny

Good luck on Wed. I too am very nervous but my surgery isn't until Sept 10. I don't have anyone that is really interested that I can talk to about it. Please let us know how you are doing after your surgery. I can't wait until they knock me out so I don't know anything about it.

Well....I'M BAAAACK! It took a while for me to even have a little bit of interest to even text people to let them know how I was doing and I didn't even want to get on the computer at all. Today is my first day back at work, 19 days out of surgery and I feel pretty darn good. I mean, I still have a little muscle pain in my stomach from where they were poking and prodding me. I feel like a pin cushion with the 8 incisions I have, but hey, I have already lost over 20 pounds since the day of surgery. I gain 8 in the hospital from all the fluids going in my IV...

I was weak the day of surgery and could barely walk...they get you up every 4 hours to walk and my first walk was to my door and back to bed. I didn't have any "gas" pains, mostly just muscle pains, especially when I would sleep and wake up without having hit the Morphine drip in a while....that is when I could really tell. My swallow test went well and I was able to start clear liquids the next day, which was music to my little ears!

By then end of the second day I was doing laps around the halls and was meeting all the other patients that were there. It was like a little family where were would all encourage each other. My nurses were great, especially since my lovely body thought to have a period during all this.

I will say that I was an emotional wreck at times once I got home. I read that when the body is burning fat that creates estrogen...so that is nice. I would cry if my husband said something wrong or in the wrong tone...stuff that would never bother me before.

I underestimated how much this would kick my butt, walking to the bathroom was an Olympic event.

I am on soft foods right now, and they seems to be going great. I am slowly trying new things..which frighten me to death. I am super scared to get dumping, but I know that it will happen eventually, I just don't want it to happen right now.

my incisions are doing alright. I have a couple that are annoying and still open but the dr didn't seem too worried about them, just told me to keep them clean....so no mud wrestling just yet I guess.

well, I will stop rambling...thanks to everyone for the support.

Back