• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

6 years later and struggling with alcoholism

SFlo2323

Has there been any studies done on alcoholism after bariatric gastric bypass? Although all my blood levels are good, and my weight has been maintained 6 years later, I am finding I am struggling with alcoholism in a way I never had before surgery. I know there is a risk of exchanging one addiction for another but I want to know if any studies were done or are being done to explore this.

I don't have any studies to back me up, but I truly think it's more than trading one addiction for another. I believe there's an actual physical component, after speaking to many post-bypass people and warnings from my doctor. One of my friends who had part of her colon removed (but not gastric bypass) says that she gets drunk on 1 beer. That's not addiction-- that's physiology.

They talked about cross addictions in our classes before surgery, Kaiser is great about that, you are not alone, it is common. Please see your provider and get some help. I know you are not alone and there is support out there. Your provider should be able to point you in the right direction.

Food, sex, alcohol every thing in moderation if we weren't compulsive we wouldn't be here. Strike a balance and work on your relationships. Seek a group you can talk about you troubles in a safe environment. No easy answers just that first step.

I also am struggling with alcohol after my surgery. Prior to my surgery, I could take it or leave it. But now, if I have one glass of wine, I am likely to drink the whole bottle. My doctor said that after the surgery, the valve in the stomach is no longer there, so the alcohol goes straight into the blood stream. Prior to my surgery, I was instructed to avoid alcohol. But, was not informed why. I can honestly say, if I knew that I would struggle with alcohol I may not have had the surgery. There are several posts on the internet about the dangers of gastric bypass and alcohol. I am seeing a therapist, and going to some AA type meetings. But, it is still a struggle. My initial weight loss was fantastic, but the pounds are adding up again, due to the caloric intake of the alcohol. I feel for you, and want you to know that you are not alone.

There are tons of studies about addiction after surgery. Food addiction is a real thing it hits all of the same parts of your brain and releases the same chemicals. You have to deal with the addiction. You put your food addiction into alcohol. I would suggest a detox facility and AA. Both saved my mom's life.

Back