• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

6 yrs Post surgery, Rouen Y. Experiencing burning in stomach

Diana G

I have been experiencing a burning in my stomach. It has been happening for some time now. It lessens when I eat and for that reason I feel I am eating constantly just to keep it at bay. This week I am trying Mylanta to see if that will help. I hope this product is safe. Has anyone out there had the same problem? To be honest I had this problem for years before the surgery and was so glad that it went away for about 4 yrs afterward. No it's back and I am very distressed over it. It is not heart burn. It always stays right in the middle of my abdomen where the pouch is located.

Diana-Please, please, please make an appointment right away to have this checked out. Consistant pain of any type is an indication that something is wrong. It could be something simple so don't get worked up over it but please do not ignore your symptons either. Let me say congrats on your 80 lb. weight loss and welcome to the forum. Make sure to come back to let us know how you are doing.

I get this burning in my stomach usually only the first sip of fluids I have in the day. It is not constant but it is weird. I think it is only when I drink cold things so see when exactly it is happening and maybe avoid whatever is setting it off. Of course check with your doctor.

sometimes that is indicative of and ulcer,demonstrated by the fact that when you feed it the pain goes away. contact your physician,don't play around with it. what is your story. patti

Hi! I had the duodonal switch in early December 2011. I also had to have my gallbladder removed and my intestines were twisted, so all that had to be taken care of also. In my second month post op, I started having a burning sensation on my left side by my ribs. I ended up going to the doctor and they checked for an ulcer, but that came back fine. My potassium was very low, so they thought that could be my problem. But, here I am almost to the 3rd month and I still have the burning sensation off and on. I was reading somewhere online that a lack of B12 can cause a burning sensation and was wondering if anyone here has checked their B12 levels to see if they are where they're suppose to be. I go back to the doc on Thursday and I'm going to ask about mine. Just thought I'd throw that out for consideration.

Hi! I had the duodonal switch in early December 2011. I also had to have my gallbladder removed and my intestines were twisted, so all that had to be taken care of also. In my second month post op, I started having a burning sensation on my left side by my ribs. I ended up going to the doctor and they checked for an ulcer, but that came back fine. My potassium was very low, so they thought that could be my problem. But, here I am almost to the 3rd month and I still have the burning sensation off and on. I was reading somewhere online that a lack of B12 can cause a burning sensation and was wondering if anyone here has checked their B12 levels to see if they are where they're suppose to be. I go back to the doc on Thursday and I'm going to ask about mine. Just thought I'd throw that out for consideration.

Hi. I had my vitamin levels checked at 3, 6 months one year and just did a blood draw last monday for my two year check up. I had the RnY and my pain subsided after about 3 weeks and was localized to my side. It takes about three weeks for all my bloodwork but it is sure worth asking your doctor if they could do another blood draw to check your vitamins. I do know it is very important to make sure they are at the correct levels. I hope they can figure it out soon. :cool: Tom

Thanks Tom for the response. I went Saturday to have my bloodwork done and go in Thursday for the results. So fingers crossed!!!

I have also had that a couple of times and it turned out to be an ulcer. Meds took care of it in short order. Please get it checked out!

Hi all! I'm new here but wanted to chime in on this topic. I've had on going pain at the top of my abdomen, about where my pouch is and just below my sternum for about three months. I've been to see my surgeon twice and have gone through a battery of tests, from endoscopy to blood work and liver scans to a HIDA scan. The team is pretty convinced the pain is from my gall bladder despite my not having the classic symptoms. Has anyone else had this problem? BTW, I'm 20 months out and have lost more than my goal weight: from 298 to 146.

Sherly
Congratulations on your major weight loss. Have they ran an ultrasound to see if you have gallstones? I've read where alot of people who have had to have their gallbladder removed once they've had the w/l surgery. Gallbladder's can cause alot of pain. I am so glad mine was removed a long time ago, just waiting for my surgery date.
Is your doctors concerned that you've lost so much weight? Are you able to eat solid foods?
Take care
donna

Back